SB 20-17: Citizen Affordability Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 20-17: Citizen Affordability Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 20-17: Citizen Affordability Act (Final Vote)  (Read 1330 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2019, 04:12:01 AM »
« edited: November 06, 2019, 04:07:05 AM by Pericles »

Citizen Affordability Act

PERMANENT FULL AND PARTIAL INCOME-BASED NATURALIZATION FEE WAIVERS.

Section 344(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1455(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(2)  In the case of an alien whose income is less than 150 percent of the Federal poverty line, no fee shall be charged or collected for—

“(i) the filing of an application for naturalization or the issuance of a certificate of naturalization upon admission to citizenship;

“(ii) the filing of an application to preserve residence for naturalization purposes;

“(iii) the filing of an application for a replacement naturalization or citizenship document;

“(iv) the filing of an application for citizenship and issuance of certificate of citizenship under section 322 (Form N–600K);

“(v) the filing of an application for certificate of citizenship (Form N–600);

“(vi) the filing of materials or statements related to renouncement of citizenship; or

“(vii) a biometrics capture or background check associated with any application described in clauses (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv), (v) and (vi).

“(3) In the case of an alien whose income is less than 250 percent of the Federal poverty line, not more than 50 percent of the applicable fee shall be charged or collected for any of the services outlined within (2).

“(4) In this subsection, the term ‘Federal poverty line’ has the meaning given such term by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, as revised annually by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in accordance with section 673(2) of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 (42 U.S.C. 9902).”.

"(5) The fee associated with the filing of a passport application is hereby increased by $10

House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 6-3-0-0
X YE

Sponsor: ON Progressive
Senate Designation: SB 20-17
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:12:18 AM »

This needs a sponsor.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »

I will take sponsorship.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »

24 hours to object to Senator ON Progressive sponsoring this bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »

Senator ON Progressive is recognized as the sponsor of this bill, please speak on it in the next 48 hours.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »

My concern is would this hamper the ability to perform these various activities? How many of them are directly sustained by said fees?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »

Can we please have the sponsor advocate for this bill?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

My concern is would this hamper the ability to perform these various activities? How many of them are directly sustained by said fees?

That's a reasonable point. It would be beneficial if we could confirm this prior to a vote.

If these fees are necessary for financial solvency of these programs, I believe that we should find an alternative method of funding.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:09 AM »

That's a reasonable point. It would be beneficial if we could confirm this prior to a vote.

If these fees are necessary for financial solvency of these programs, I believe that we should find an alternative method of funding.

Would this require review from the GM? That seems to be taking a while, is there a different way to go about arriving at the same information?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »

Would this require review from the GM? That seems to be taking a while, is there a different way to go about arriving at the same information?

I'm not sure - I suppose we could add a line to the bill stating that any deficit in funding caused as a result of eliminating these filing fees will be recouped through "____".
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »

Section 344(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1455(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(2)  In the case of an alien whose income is less than 150 percent of the Federal poverty line, no fee shall be charged or collected for—

“(i) the filing of an application for naturalization or the issuance of a certificate of naturalization upon admission to citizenship;

“(ii) the filing of an application to preserve residence for naturalization purposes;

“(iii) the filing of an application for a replacement naturalization or citizenship document;

“(iv) the filing of an application for citizenship and issuance of certificate of citizenship under section 322 (Form N–600K);

“(v) the filing of an application for certificate of citizenship (Form N–600); or

“(vi) a biometrics capture or background check associated with any application described in clauses (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).

“(3) In the case of an alien whose income is less than 250 percent of the Federal poverty line, not more than 50 percent of the applicable fee shall be charged or collected for any of the services outlined within (2).

“(4) In this subsection, the term ‘Federal poverty line’ has the meaning given such term by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, as revised annually by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in accordance with section 673(2) of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 (42 U.S.C. 9902).”.

House of Representatives
X YE

Sponsor: ON Progressive
Senate Designation: SB 20-17

ATTN: Due to an oversight by YE, the Senate did not receive the correct version of the bill. The House passed several amendments that are not reflected above. Correct Text is:

“(2)  In the case of an alien whose income is less than 150 percent of the Federal poverty line, no fee shall be charged or collected for—

“(vi) the filing of materials or statements related to renouncement of citizenship; or

“(vii) a biometrics capture or background check associated with any application described in clauses (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv), (v) and (vi).

"(5) The fee associated with the filing of a passport application is hereby increased by $10

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 03:10:27 AM »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Wulfric, I have edited my post in response.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 05:35:43 PM »

So with the corrections have all of the issues been addressed?

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 04:04:08 AM »

So with the corrections have all of the issues been addressed?

Seems to be so.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 02:45:22 AM »

I motion for a final vote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 04:05:31 AM »

24 hours for objections to the final vote motion.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 03:36:02 AM »

A final vote has started on this bill, Senators have 72 hours to vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 03:50:33 AM »

Aye
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »

Aye.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 01:41:49 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 04:50:45 AM »

Pericles?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »

This bill passes 4-0-0-2.
Aye; 4 (MB, Peanut, ON Progressive, North Carolina Yankee)
Nay; 0
Abstaining; 0
Not voting; 2 (Devout Centrist, PyroTheFox)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »

“(2)  In the case of an alien whose income is less than 150 percent of the Federal poverty line, no fee shall be charged or collected for—

House of Representatives
X YE
People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-0-0-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies