LC 4.13: Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:22:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 4.13: Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 4.13: Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment (Final Vote)  (Read 436 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
« edited: October 17, 2019, 06:24:24 PM by Speaker OneJ »

Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment

Section I. The Amendment
1. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

Section 2. Movement of Legislation to the Floor
E. After any election for the Council, all legislation slots shall be emptied and all pending legislation shall be considered automatically tabled.

Sponsor: Pragmatist_TNAG

The debating period for this bill has commenced and shall last no longer than 72 hours.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »

Written from consultation with Governor Peanut. The automatic tabling of legislation after an election slows down activity and debate and can lead to good legislation being forgotten as it isn't introduced.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »

I don't have any qualms with this bill and will be voting aye on it.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »

I would like to state my opposition to this bill. It is critical that each Council have an identity of its own and that newly elected Councilors have the opportunity to propose new business. Therefore, it makes no sense for an incoming elected body to be mandated to debate legislation proposed by an ousted government.

With pending legislation no longer eliminated (per this bill), new opportunities for exploitation by outgoing Councilors would arise. Under this law, should a disgruntled legislator wish to do so, they could theoretically disrupt the transition process by proposing dozens of bills immediately prior to dissolution. The new Council would have no choice but to introduce all of these bills, even if the original sponsor was voted out or otherwise removed from office.

I affirm that legislation worthy of passage would be re-introduced if necessary.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »

I would like to state my opposition to this bill. It is critical that each Council have an identity of its own and that newly elected Councilors have the opportunity to propose new business. Therefore, it makes no sense for an incoming elected body to be mandated to debate legislation proposed by an ousted government.

With pending legislation no longer eliminated (per this bill), new opportunities for exploitation by outgoing Councilors would arise. Under this law, should a disgruntled legislator wish to do so, they could theoretically disrupt the transition process by proposing dozens of bills immediately prior to dissolution. The new Council would have no choice but to introduce all of these bills, even if the original sponsor was voted out or otherwise removed from office.

I affirm that legislation worthy of passage would be re-introduced if necessary.

I fully agree with this statement.

In fact, I remember introducing that part of the bill precisely because the bolded part exactly happened. In a regional version of the "legislative terrorism" performed in June, Councillor Thr introduced like 10-15 bills in a row. Now, because in Lincoln the opposition queue is separate it didn't matter (though the opposition would have a hard time doing anything). There is also a second safeguard against this.

Still the automatic tabling should be kept. Worthwhile bills should be reintroduced and sponsored again by  Councillors if needed; and each council gets its own session as a blank slate.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »

I've served with four Councils and three Assemblies so far. I've seen perfectly good bills get lost in history (or brought back only after much lobbying) precisely because of automatic tabling.

I disagree with the Senators that this deprives each Council of its own identity: it's not like the leftover bills will take more than a week or two to solve, and disgruntled Councillors' intransigence can be dealt with with other methods: in general, automatic tabling is a clunky mechanism that has much more cons than pros, and I strongly urge the Council to pass this: it'll really be a help to our legislative process.

I urge you to vote Aye on this, Councillors.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »

After reading the discussion, I'll still side with my initial intentions to vote aye.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »

It’s been a pain to see debated bills take longer with reintroduction. In all honesty, anyone going with sabotage by spam wouldn’t sit well with the Lincoln electorate. I intend to vote aye as well.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 12:35:02 AM »

I support this legislation. 
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »

I support this bill, and this has my full support, so i'll vote Aye on it.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

Considering the amount of support this bill seems to have, I'll open a final vote now. As usual, councilors have 48 hours to vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

Aye.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 06:41:52 PM »

AYE
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 06:29:00 AM »

Aye
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »

This vote (and all others open at the moment) are invalid.
Per the Standing Orders, the Lincoln Council has been de jure dissolved for several days.

Section 4: Final Business
A. Pursuant to Article 1.15 of the Lincoln Constitution, the Council shall be dissolved 72 hours before general and snap elections.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »

This vote (and all others open at the moment) are invalid.
Per the Standing Orders, the Lincoln Council has been de jure dissolved for several days.

Section 4: Final Business
A. Pursuant to Article 1.15 of the Lincoln Constitution, the Council shall be dissolved 72 hours before general and snap elections.

Ah, I see. Well hopefully this bill and the other bill will be introduced next session and we'll vote on them then.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies