Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Washington
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win the Washington Democratic Primary?
Joe Biden

Pete Buttigieg

Kamala Harris

Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Washington  (Read 540 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »

Biden
Sanders
Warren

Vote here in the previous polls if you haven't already!

February
IA NH NV SC

Super Tuesday
AL AS AR CA CO DA ME MA MN NC OK TN TX UT VT VA

March 10th
ID MI MS MO ND

Michigan is still very close.

Special thanks to Hades for the map of the territories!

On to my home state, Washington. In the past, Washington had a caucus with delegates at stake, and then a primary several weeks or even months later with no delegates at stake. This time around, there will only be a primary that does have delegates at stake. While obviously my analysis is going to be anecdotal, I'd say that Washington is definitely Warren country. Seattle is the kind of city tailor-made for Warren. It's relatively white, very well-educated, and very progressive. From my own experience, not only is Warren winning a lot of Sanders 2016 voters, she's also getting a lot of voters who have issues with Sanders and supported Clinton in 2016. There are also a lot of Asians in the Seattle area, and while I can't claim to be sure how Asian voters are going in the primary, I suspect that Warren is doing better among them than among black voters. The suburbs of Seattle are also largely well-educated, and Warren will probably play well there as well. While Eastern Washington is conservative as a whole, Democrats who live there are often quite liberal, with Spokane being a good example of that.

The only parts of the state that I think Biden would do well in would be Pierce (Tacoma is far less educated than other cities in the area, and somewhat more working class as well), and the Southwestern part of the state, in counties like Grays Harbor and Cowlitz. He could also win a few rural counties here and there. My guess for the county map would be something like this:

Of course, if Warren loses ground, Sanders may have a chance here, but assuming Warren holds her current position, she should win Washington pretty easily. Obviously her margin will be nothing like the margins Obama and Sanders got in the caucuses, but I could see her winning by about 15%.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »

Warren is a fantastic fit for Washington. It might be harder to model this year given the switch to a primary, but no matter how you slice it, it's Warren's to lose for now.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »

Warren sweeps every county.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »

Bumping this so it gets a few more votes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »

Your county map is pretty on point, IMO. Likely/Safe Warren, she should get in the 50's while Biden gets in the 30's.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies