Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project  (Read 7088 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2005, 06:43:47 PM »

An American teenager is on his way back to Florida after secretly travelling to Iraq to research a journalism project.
Farris Hassan, 16, did not tell his parents - who are both Iraqi - anything about his trip before leaving.

The authorities were alerted only after he walked into the Baghdad office of the Associated Press, saying he wanted to do research and humanitarian work.

"Going to Iraq will broaden my mind," Farris wrote in an essay before setting off on his trip.

Farris Hassan essay

Farris, who does not speak Arabic, told AP he realised he could be in danger when he left his hotel to find food, and had to pull out his phrase book.

"I'm like, 'Well, I should probably be going.' It was not a safe place. The way they were looking at me kind of freaked me out," he told AP.

'Driven'

His mother, Shatha Atiya, said her son had been asking for months for her to take him to her homeland.

"He is very driven and he is very patriotic. He believes in democracy," she told AP.

Farris left America three weeks ago, using money given to him by his parents, and arrived in Kuwait City on 13 December.

Farris' mother

It was there he first informed his parents of his plans.

From Kuwait he planned to go to Baghdad but was denied entry at the Iraqi border.

Instead he travelled to Beirut, Lebanon, where he stayed with family friends for around 10 days, before flying into Baghdad.

On 27 December Farris contacted the Associated Press in Baghdad, who notified the US Embassy, which then sent US soldiers to pick him up.

He was put on a flight back home on Friday, the US Embassy said.

Farris, a student at Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, is said to have taken a course in "immersion journalism" very seriously.

In an essay written before his trip, he talked about his desire to help the war-torn country.

'Sheltered lives'

"I know I can't do much. I know I can't stop all the carnage and save the innocent. But I also know I can't just sit here," he wrote.

"Going to Iraq will broaden my mind. We kids at Pine Crest live such sheltered lives. I want to experience during my Christmas the same hardships ordinary Iraqis experience everyday, so that I may better empathize with their distress."

"If I know what is needed and what is right, but do not act on my moral conscience, I would be a hypocrite. I must do what I say decent individuals should do. I want to live my days so that my nights are not full of regrets. Therefore, I must go," he concluded.

Farris' travels have guaranteed him much closer parental supervision from now on.

"We are going to watch his every move," his mother told CBS television. "We are going to take his passport. We're going to limit his access to money."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:08:59 PM »

I read about this in the Star Trib today. I've often thought of doing similar things, just taking all my money and driving down to Mexico or somewhere for the hell of it.
MarkDel

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:42:32 PM »

This incident involving the Florida teen has received VERY, VERY, VERY little media attention.

Can anyone here guess why?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:45:08 PM »

This incident involving the Florida teen has received VERY, VERY, VERY little media attention.

Can anyone here guess why?

Because while interesting it's not a very important story and has little effect on the nation?
MarkDel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:46:20 PM »

Nope, try again.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 08:48:33 PM »

He's of middle eastern descent, and is not anti-American, perhaps.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 08:52:02 PM »

I saw this story on Yahoo!... And I don't exactly see what benefit the media finds in portraying all Arab Americans as anti-Americans, (unless of course you're one of those who feels there is some kind of Jewish conspiracy out there in the media to favor Israel and make Arabs look bad. I don't believe that.)

The most interesting thing about this case... I don't think a non-Iraqi student could have gotten away with this... if there's anything that mitigated this incident from pure stupidity on the kid's part, it's the fact that his parents were born in Iraq and he has at least some cultural connection. The CIA could take a hint from that. It shows one of the advantages of having a culturally diverse society.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:53:03 PM »

No, I think BRTD was pretty much correct.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:56:26 PM »

Had this kid been like one of those twit "human shields" trying to expose US abuse he would have been hailed in many corners. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 08:57:10 PM »

I saw this story on Yahoo!... And I don't exactly see what benefit the media finds in portraying all Arab Americans as anti-Americans, (unless of course you're one of those who feels there is some kind of Jewish conspiracy out there in the media to favor Israel and make Arabs look bad. I don't believe that.)

The most interesting thing about this case... I don't think a non-Iraqi student could have gotten away with this... if there's anything that mitigated this incident from pure stupidity on the kid's part, it's the fact that his parents were born in Iraq and he has at least some cultural connection. The CIA could take a hint from that. It shows one of the advantages of having a culturally diverse society.

Most of the media itself is anti-American, and is always looking for opportunities to boost their own opinions and biases.  They ignore stories that go against their preset biases.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »

Had this kid been like one of those twit "human shields" trying to expose US abuse he would have been hailed in many corners. 

That's right.  In that case, the anti-American US media would have been fawning all over him.
MarkDel

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 08:58:46 PM »

Dazzleman,

Close, but it goes WAYYYYY beyond that. It turns out that this young Muslim of Iraqi descent is not only a staunch supporter of the Iraq War, but also has the audacity to be a member of his high school's young Republicans club. He has written some incredible pieces about the Iraq War and the War on Terror (they were read aloud today on Sean Hannity's radio show), and based on his  considerable eloquence and vocabulary, this young man appears to have an IQ well into the genius range...despite his foolish actions in going to Iraq.

Now if this kid were a left wing, anti-American type who was opposed to the war, then we would hear about him ALL DAY long. Then we would hear about his considerable courage and moral superiority of how he risked life and limb, and his comfortable lifestyle to expose the lies of the evil President and his neo-con minions.

The media is a JOKE...
MarkDel

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »

Darn right Patrick!!!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 09:01:39 PM »

That may be true but it doesn't explain why the media is not giving the story big play.  The media ignores stories that don't confirm their biases, and this one must not.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 09:02:38 PM »

Dazzleman,

Close, but it goes WAYYYYY beyond that. It turns out that this young Muslim of Iraqi descent is not only a staunch supporter of the Iraq War, but also has the audacity to be a member of his high school's young Republicans club. He has written some incredible pieces about the Iraq War and the War on Terror (they were read aloud today on Sean Hannity's radio show), and based on his  considerable eloquence and vocabulary, this young man appears to have an IQ well into the genius range...despite his foolish actions in going to Iraq.

Now if this kid were a left wing, anti-American type who was opposed to the war, then we would hear about him ALL DAY long. Then we would hear about his considerable courage and moral superiority of how he risked life and limb, and his comfortable lifestyle to expose the lies of the evil President and his neo-con minions.

The media is a JOKE...

You're absolutely right.  I hate the liberal US media.
MarkDel

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 09:02:41 PM »

The Factor,

You totally "misunderestimate" the leftists in the media. They would not be spinning this as anti-American...no way. If this kid opposed the war, they would be spinning it as "America's harsh war on terror has so alienated Muslims that even a nice, rich high school kid feels isolated enough in his own country to engage in Jihad against Bush and his racist Neo-Cons"

Wake up man, it's later than you think...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »

Well I see that now that Christmas is over, the phoney war on the liberal media can continue.  Godspeed, conservative brethren.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »

Well I see that now that Christmas is over, the phoney war on the liberal media can continue.  Godspeed, conservative brethren.

How would you explain the fact that the media gives great attention to anything damaging to the US, but ignores a young man of middle-eastern origin who is pro-US?
MarkDel

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 09:13:54 PM »

Joe,

Do you honestly believe that if this story involved a left wing kid who opposed the war that it would receive the same modest amount of attention? If you can truly say that, I mean look in the mirror and say that honestly to yourself, then I have BADLY overestimated either your intelligence or your objectivity.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 09:14:24 PM »

How would you explain the fact that the media gives great attention to anything damaging to the US, but ignores a young man of middle-eastern origin who is pro-US?

Because the media gives attention to bad things and ignores good things as a general rule.

That's not to say it isn't biased, but the liberalness of the liberal media isn't at fault for dumb 24 hour coverage of the Michael Jackson trial or that poor girl who was killed in Aruba.  It's the fault of people who are more interested in inspid pop culture crossover news than actual content.

Liberal bias may be part of it, but the main reason is that there is a quota on heartwarmingness.

Joe,

Do you honestly believe that if this story involved a left wing kid who opposed the war that it would receive the same modest amount of attention? If you can truly say that, I mean look in the mirror and say that honestly to yourself, then I have BADLY overestimated either your intelligence or your objectivty.

I don't think it's fair to judge someone's intelligence on one conversation.  Even if he was to be wrong, that's one thing among others.  I think that's a big of hyperbole.
MarkDel

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

Alcon,

That's a pretty intelligent comment. I also LOATHE the attention that Michael Jackson-type garbage receives. What that means is that media has a bias towards liberalism AND stupidity.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »

Most of the media itself is anti-American, and is always looking for opportunities to boost their own opinions and biases.  They ignore stories that go against their preset biases.

Dazzleman (and MarkDel), beyond your overbroad generalizations which I disagree with (Sean Hannity is of course, not a member of the media; he does not of course, have one of the highest rated political shows of the century... no conservative can possibly be a member of the media because as we all know...).

Rather, let us deal with the matter under specific discussion. The issue here seems to be either
an Iraqi American who plays a confrontational role, a "spokesperson" of Iraq against government policy,
or an Iraqi American who plays a supportive role, a "cheerleader" and giver of gratitude for American sacrifices,

One of these stories is rife with controversy and conflict; yes, it can be portrayed as a brave stand. The other story is sweet and cuddly, but it can't be portrayed as the same kind of "desperate struggle against the government." Think about, generally, the kind of stories the media likes to report. Do they report conflictual, controversial stories, or do they prefer sweet and cuddly ones? What is more compeling- a hero that seems to stand against a powerful force, or a hero that has the support of the community?

In going to Iraq, this boy risked his life; he stood against a powerful danger and this alone makes his story compelling. But beyond that, what psychological factors pique one's interest?

I seem to remember when "the American Taliban" John Walker Lindh got a great deal of attention a few years ago, but I can't remember if conservatives complained at the coverage he received. Tens of thousands of Americans went to Afghanistan, soldiers and civilians, to support the military and post-military effort. Yet this guy, John Walker Lindh, the American traitor, receives such disproportionate coverage. Why? Is the media anti-American? Or, could it be that because Lindh is in such a unique position, that the American people want to know more about him? I believe it is the latter.
MarkDel

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »

Alcon,

What I said to Joe may seem harsh, but if a person cannot, or will not, recognize that which is almost ludicrously obvious, they are either lacking in intelligence, or devoid of objectivty...there's no getting around it. It's like the person who tells you 2+2=5...they are either stupid or obstinate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 09:19:32 PM »

I've found nothing about it on Fox.  Damn that liberal media for ignoring what's important.
MarkDel

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 09:22:10 PM »

The Factor,

You said, "The issue here seems to be either
an Iraqi American who plays a confrontational role, a "spokesperson" of Iraq against government policy,
or an Iraqi American who plays a supportive role, a "cheerleader" and giver of gratitude for American sacrifices"

Spokesperson vs. Cheerleader...hmmm

Do you see how a person can be heavily biased and not even realize it...LMFAO
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies