Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project  (Read 7133 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 30, 2005, 09:14:24 PM »

Well I see that now that Christmas is over, the phoney war on the liberal media can continue.  Godspeed, conservative brethren.

How would you explain the fact that the media gives great attention to anything damaging to the US, but ignores a young man of middle-eastern origin who is pro-US?

Because the media gives attention to bad things and ignores good things as a general rule.

That's not to say it isn't biased, but the liberalness of the liberal media isn't at fault for dumb 24 hour coverage of the Michael Jackson trial or that poor girl who was killed in Aruba.  It's the fault of people who are more interested in inspid pop culture crossover news than actual content.

Liberal bias may be part of it, but the main reason is that there is a quota on heartwarmingness.

Well I see that now that Christmas is over, the phoney war on the liberal media can continue.  Godspeed, conservative brethren.

Joe,

Do you honestly believe that if this story involved a left wing kid who opposed the war that it would receive the same modest amount of attention? If you can truly say that, I mean look in the mirror and say that honestly to yourself, then I have BADLY overestimated either your intelligence or your objectivty.

I don't think it's fair to judge someone's intelligence on one conversation.  Even if he was to be wrong, that's one thing among others.  I think that's a big of hyperbole.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:44:20 PM »

I can argue with people I strongly agree with without suggesting that their views make them "stupid or obstinate."  Most people here do.  I think they would appreciate it if the hyperbole was dropped.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 09:56:51 PM »

I can argue with people I strongly agree with without suggesting that their views make them "stupid or obstinate."  Most people here do.  I think they would appreciate it if the hyperbole was dropped.

Alcon,

Et tu? It appears that you also have a reading comprehension issue. That was an ANALOGY...I assumed that you, Joe and Gabu understood the concept.

But, hyperbole dropped Alcon. Since you and/or Gabu are moderators, go ahead and ban me if you think I'm "lowering the standards" of this forum.

If only people like you and Gabu would take such a strong position against the trolls and other non-productive members of the forum.

This is a waste of my time...

Moderators cannot ban on this forum, and I would certainly have no interest in banning you.  You are one of my favourite posters.  It's not really a big deal, and although I don't see what was analogous about your "stupid or obstinate" statement, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

But this has already gone overboard.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »

By the way, Google News currently ranks this third under the World subheading with 1,161 related articles.  The number of related articles ranks it as the most widely covered news story of the day.

So it is being covered very widely.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:18:05 PM »

Countless studies have done on media bias. Not a single one has found any evidence of bias in the media whatsoever, liberal or conservative.

Plus if the media was so liberal, you'd expect DU to be big fans of it. Go look to see what the have to say about CNN.

UCLA study - "Media Bias is Real"
http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664

That was a very interesting study, but I do feel that it reflected Reuters and the Associated Press too much.  If they were to look at the articles written by the outfits exclusively, I wonder what results they would have found?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies