Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:56:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida teen goes to Iraq for school project  (Read 7114 times)
MarkDel

« on: December 30, 2005, 08:42:32 PM »

This incident involving the Florida teen has received VERY, VERY, VERY little media attention.

Can anyone here guess why?
MarkDel

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:46:20 PM »

Nope, try again.
MarkDel

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:58:46 PM »

Dazzleman,

Close, but it goes WAYYYYY beyond that. It turns out that this young Muslim of Iraqi descent is not only a staunch supporter of the Iraq War, but also has the audacity to be a member of his high school's young Republicans club. He has written some incredible pieces about the Iraq War and the War on Terror (they were read aloud today on Sean Hannity's radio show), and based on his  considerable eloquence and vocabulary, this young man appears to have an IQ well into the genius range...despite his foolish actions in going to Iraq.

Now if this kid were a left wing, anti-American type who was opposed to the war, then we would hear about him ALL DAY long. Then we would hear about his considerable courage and moral superiority of how he risked life and limb, and his comfortable lifestyle to expose the lies of the evil President and his neo-con minions.

The media is a JOKE...
MarkDel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »

Had this kid been like one of those twit "human shields" trying to expose US abuse he would have been hailed in many corners. 

Darn right Patrick!!!
MarkDel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:02:41 PM »

I saw this story on Yahoo!... And I don't exactly see what benefit the media finds in portraying all Arab Americans as anti-Americans, (unless of course you're one of those who feels there is some kind of Jewish conspiracy out there in the media to favor Israel and make Arabs look bad. I don't believe that.)

The most interesting thing about this case... I don't think a non-Iraqi student could have gotten away with this... if there's anything that mitigated this incident from pure stupidity on the kid's part, it's the fact that his parents were born in Iraq and he has at least some cultural connection. The CIA could take a hint from that. It shows one of the advantages of having a culturally diverse society.

The Factor,

You totally "misunderestimate" the leftists in the media. They would not be spinning this as anti-American...no way. If this kid opposed the war, they would be spinning it as "America's harsh war on terror has so alienated Muslims that even a nice, rich high school kid feels isolated enough in his own country to engage in Jihad against Bush and his racist Neo-Cons"

Wake up man, it's later than you think...
MarkDel

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 09:13:54 PM »

Well I see that now that Christmas is over, the phoney war on the liberal media can continue.  Godspeed, conservative brethren.

Joe,

Do you honestly believe that if this story involved a left wing kid who opposed the war that it would receive the same modest amount of attention? If you can truly say that, I mean look in the mirror and say that honestly to yourself, then I have BADLY overestimated either your intelligence or your objectivity.
MarkDel

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

Alcon,

That's a pretty intelligent comment. I also LOATHE the attention that Michael Jackson-type garbage receives. What that means is that media has a bias towards liberalism AND stupidity.
MarkDel

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »

Alcon,

What I said to Joe may seem harsh, but if a person cannot, or will not, recognize that which is almost ludicrously obvious, they are either lacking in intelligence, or devoid of objectivty...there's no getting around it. It's like the person who tells you 2+2=5...they are either stupid or obstinate.
MarkDel

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 09:22:10 PM »

The Factor,

You said, "The issue here seems to be either
an Iraqi American who plays a confrontational role, a "spokesperson" of Iraq against government policy,
or an Iraqi American who plays a supportive role, a "cheerleader" and giver of gratitude for American sacrifices"

Spokesperson vs. Cheerleader...hmmm

Do you see how a person can be heavily biased and not even realize it...LMFAO
MarkDel

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:24:30 PM »

I've found nothing about it on Fox.  Damn that liberal media for ignoring what's important.

It's been on Fox News, I saw it myself. But they too have been underplaying the story...mainly because their "straight news people" are not biased towards the right wing the way the "opinion shows" are like O'Reilly, Hannity, etc....
MarkDel

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 09:28:59 PM »

MarkDel and dazzleman seem to be ignoring the actual story at least as much as the mainstream media in lieu of ranting on and on about the mainstream media...

I'm really wondering what this will accomplish.  Insulting people is not going to allow them to see their errors.

Gabu,

Now you see, THAT'S WHY I stopped posting here. Expressing a rational view and telling someone else you think they're wrong, and questioning their objectivity, is considered INSULTING.

Left wingers on this forum do FAR worse over and over and over again and guys like you don't say a god damn word. That's the way it works here, and that's why I left....and should have stayed gone.
MarkDel

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »

Now you see, THAT'S WHY I stopped posting here. Expressing a rational view and telling someone else you think they're wrong, and questioning their objectivity, is considered INSULTING.

You said I was 'either stupid or obstinate'.

No Joe, that was the analogy I was trying to make which obviously eluded both you and Gabu. Go back and reread what I said to you in the post BEFORE that, the one about looking in the mirror.
MarkDel

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 09:38:43 PM »

MarkDel and dazzleman seem to be ignoring the actual story at least as much as the mainstream media in lieu of ranting on and on about the mainstream media...

I'm really wondering what this will accomplish.  Insulting people is not going to allow them to see their errors.

Telling the truth is not insulting people.  If you think it is, then that doesn't say much for the person who is supposedly being insulted.

Dazzleman,

No, that's not the problem here. The problem is that Gabu and others here want the rules to work one way for leftists and one way for rightists, and that's something that was NOT the case at this site when I first joined a couple years ago...and that swing to the left is a big part of why I should just avoid this place the way I did for about a 6-month period earlier this year.
MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 09:51:43 PM »

I can argue with people I strongly agree with without suggesting that their views make them "stupid or obstinate."  Most people here do.  I think they would appreciate it if the hyperbole was dropped.

Alcon,

Et tu? It appears that you also have a reading comprehension issue. That was an ANALOGY...I assumed that you, Joe and Gabu understood the concept.

But, hyperbole dropped Alcon. Since you and/or Gabu are moderators, go ahead and ban me if you think I'm "lowering the standards" of this forum.

If only people like you and Gabu would take such a strong position against the trolls and other non-productive members of the forum.

This is a waste of my time...
MarkDel

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 10:03:46 PM »

Come on people. MarkDel feels very passionate, and this sometimes gets the better of him. MarkDel, unless Im missing something personal, you need to seriously lighten up just a little bit.

Joe, didn't insult you, he merely insulted an imaginary person who holds views that he strongly disagrees with. That said, it was still wrong, because if someone did hold those views, it does not necessarily make them stupid or obstinate, and they should be corrected with arguments rather than insults. Look we've completely lost the discussion because of them.

Anyway, it's a great excuse for me to stop wasting whats left of my new year's eve eve on politics.

Factor,

Just so you understand, my problem, real problem in this thread, is not with Joe, or you, or anyone else who holds your opinions. I may disagree with you guys...may even think your position is silly, but that doesn't get me angry. What gets me angry is Gabu and Alcon coming in "all self righteous" on me when they do NOT do the same thing to left wingers and/or trolls who behave in the same fashion. Now THAT is what has me pissed off for real.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies