Katie Hill resigning from office
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Katie Hill resigning from office
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: Katie Hill resigning from office  (Read 22561 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »

Must be embarrassing for her to have all that info in the public, especially that picture.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »

If the President of the United States refuses to step down for breaking the law, then why should a member of Congress step down for doing nothing illegal?
Isn't it just rotten luck for the GOP that this didn't come out before the 2017 election? Lol. Anyway, this isn't right and Northam should resign.

That is something that could call into question one's ability to govern fairly for all citizens.
And affairs also do as they could be used as blackmail evidence. This is why the FBI used to fire anyone who was found to be having one. Same principle with David Petraeus too.

The fact that Trump has eroded standards is not an argument for giving up on them entirely, it's also stupid whataboutery.

So all politicians should be automatically disqualified for having an affair?

Talk about an overkill.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »

I absolutely don't care if Hill is in a polyamorous relationship.
And I don't really care if she cheated on her husband.

But it sounds like she was sleeping with multiple staffers.  Which is either nepotism or abuse of power or both, and very much not cool.

Hill should announce the she is resigning on whatever day Trump chooses to resign for the multitude of instances of much worse abuse he has committed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »

The time for this sort of outrage is long past.

If Clinton didn't make it so, then Gingrich/Livingston did. If not them DesJarlais. If not him, Vitter's re-election in 2010.

Sad state of affairs, pretty much the inevitable conclusion of the "hook-up" culture, but it's just the reality now.

So Katie likes to be a part of a several rather than a few or a couple, big whoop at this point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Souder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Mahoney

Mahoney didn't resign. If voters think that this is a disqualifying transgression then by all means they should oust Hill with their votes.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »

Eh. I don't think it's a big deal unless bigger and less partisan outlets pick this up. The only entities that are really pushing this story are right wingers like RedState and Comfortably Smug, and they aren't exactly the most trustworthy sources. Even photographs can be be easily edited.

So needless to say I'm skeptical.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »

Eh. I don't think it's a big deal unless bigger and less partisan outlets pick this up. The only entities that are really pushing this story are right wingers like RedState and Comfortably Smug, and they aren't exactly the most trustworthy sources. Even photographs can be be easily edited.

Would you be saying this if it were Daily Kos, or Slate, or Mother Jones, or Salon, or the Huffington Post, or Vox reporting on this? "Right-wing" outlets aren't all to be regarded with opprobrium, and some, such as the National Review, are highly regarded.

And for the record, the outlets that I just named are just as partisan and biased as RedState is. Bias exists from both the left and the right.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2019, 04:10:04 PM »

Found this while browsing r/LosAngeles
Funny stuff.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »

Safe D->Lean D
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »

Not surprised she’s a creepy degenerate. Won’t matter for her re-elect chances though because her district would vote now for a corpse if the democrats ran one, all because Orange Man Says Mean Things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »

If the President of the United States refuses to step down for breaking the law, then why should a member of Congress step down for doing nothing illegal?
Isn't it just rotten luck for the GOP that this didn't come out before the 2017 election? Lol. Anyway, this isn't right and Northam should resign.

That is something that could call into question one's ability to govern fairly for all citizens.
And affairs also do as they could be used as blackmail evidence. This is why the FBI used to fire anyone who was found to be having one. Same principle with David Petraeus too.

The fact that Trump has eroded standards is not an argument for giving up on them entirely, it's also stupid whataboutery.

Yes?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »

Would you be saying this if it were Daily Kos, or Slate, or Mother Jones, or Salon, or the Huffington Post, or Vox reporting on this?

No because these outlets don't have a well-established history of posting fabricated lies.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 04:31:14 PM »

Not surprised she’s a creepy degenerate. Won’t matter for her re-elect chances though because her district would vote now for a corpse if the democrats ran one, all because Orange Man Says Mean Things.

That's interesting considering your state almost sent a racist pedophile to the senate just because he had an R next to his name.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »

There goes her chances of being a future senator
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »

There goes her chances of being a future senator

This increases her chances lol.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »

Found this while browsing r/LosAngeles
Funny stuff.

"If it's on the internet, it must be true!"
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »

ftfy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2019, 07:45:59 PM by The Snarling Incarnation of anti-Left Rage »

If true, then Hill should obviously resign immediately (and many of the folks defending her would likely be singing a very different tune were Hill a Republican) or at the very least certainly should not run for reelection, but I'd like to see if this gets reported by a credible source or two first*, especially given what we've seen with the false allegations against Gil Cisneros last cycle and Bob Menendez in 2012.  So far I haven't seen this anywhere except red state and one of its sister websites, so I'm gonna withhold judgement for now.  

*Sidenote #1: I'm curious whether Red State is selectively editing which texts to share because there were at least two occasions - most blatant being the articles claim that the texts show the aide to have been completely distraught - where they flat out lied about what the text exchanges showed.  

Sidenote #2: Red State did a really sh!tty thing by publishing some of those pictures.  It added nothing to the story that sort of sleazy invasion of privacy really underscores the degree to which they are bad-faith actors, even if every detail of the scandal turns out to be exactly as they presented it (which already does not appear to be the case in at least some minor aspects).
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2019, 06:15:55 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2019, 06:27:54 PM by TrendsareReal »

She should resign no earlier than Donald Trump does for adultery
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 06:34:22 PM »

Yes?

What really should matter is whether a politician does her/his job well, and disqualifying such person because of having an affair is just stupid, as long as said affair doesn't interfere with her or his performance. When you start to enforce an inflexible "personal morality" limitus test, it's going to do more damage than good.

In Hill's case, while sleeping with your staffer is pretty problematic (and if there's an indication of professionally inappropriate conduct, then she should resign), I'm not even sure we could call it an "affair", given she apparently is in open marriage.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »

Yellowhammer gonna yellowhammer.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »

Then why do Tennessee Republicans love a "baby killer" like Scott DesJarlais?

Because, to paraphrase LBJ, he is OUR baby killer.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »

So you’re going to impeach her too? Give me a Xanax Roll Eyes I don’t care about any of this stuff as long as she’s doing a good job. No one’s perfect, and her private life is certainly none of our business. #BetterToHaveThrouplesThanTroubles
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »

Yes?

What really should matter is whether a politician does her/his job well, and disqualifying such person because of having an affair is just stupid, as long as said affair doesn't interfere with her or his performance. When you start to enforce an inflexible "personal morality" limitus test, it's going to do more damage than good.

In Hill's case, while sleeping with your staffer is pretty problematic (and if there's an indication of professionally inappropriate conduct, then she should resign), I'm not even sure we could call it an "affair", given she apparently is in open marriage.
That is not what I'm referring to as an affair. It's the one she had with her finance director without the staffer or her husband's consent. She basically cheated on two people.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 07:23:09 PM »

Yes?

That is not what I'm referring to as an affair. It's the one she had with her finance director without the staffer or her husband's consent. She basically cheated on two people.

She’s living out the stereotypes of us bisexuals. Even better in my book!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »

So you’re going to impeach her too? Give me a Xanax Roll Eyes I don’t care about any of this stuff as long as she’s doing a good job. No one’s perfect, and her private life is certainly none of our business. #BetterToHaveThrouplesThanTroubles

Didn't you hear though?
She wants to impeach Trump.
>tossup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies