Katie Hill resigning from office (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:12:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Katie Hill resigning from office (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Katie Hill resigning from office  (Read 22602 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »

Eh. I don't think it's a big deal unless bigger and less partisan outlets pick this up. The only entities that are really pushing this story are right wingers like RedState and Comfortably Smug, and they aren't exactly the most trustworthy sources. Even photographs can be be easily edited.

So needless to say I'm skeptical.

Would you be saying this if it were Daily Kos, or Slate, or Mother Jones, or Salon, or the Huffington Post, or Vox reporting on this? "Right-wing" outlets aren't all to be regarded with opprobrium, and some, such as the National Review, are highly regarded.

And for the record, the outlets that I just named are just as partisan and biased as RedState is. Bias exists from both the left and the right.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »

Just goes to prove my point, the consequences of scandals do not apply to democrats.
They'll just spin a way to portray allegations as "fake" (with the help of their media handlers), dust off their shoes, and keep marching forward.

There is some truth to this. What if this scandal had involved Hill's Republican predecessor, Steve Knight? Or any number of other Republican Congressmen? I doubt that the media would have ignored their scandals. And I'm quite certain that many of the posters on here, who are now defending Hill and bashing "right-wing" media outlets, would be decrying Republican "family values" and demanding the Congressman's resignation. Some would even call for him to be prosecuted in a court of law.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »

Just goes to prove my point, the consequences of scandals do not apply to democrats.
They'll just spin a way to portray allegations as "fake" (with the help of their media handlers), dust off their shoes, and keep marching forward.

There is some truth to this. What if this scandal had involved Hill's Republican predecessor, Steve Knight? Or any number of other Republican Congressmen? I doubt that the media would have ignored their scandals. And I'm quite certain that many of the posters on here, who are now defending Hill and bashing "right-wing" media outlets, would be decrying Republican "family values" and demanding the Congressman's resignation. Some would even call for him to be prosecuted in a court of law.

Well, the Democratic Party never claimed to be the party of family values.

Doesn't make my points any less valid. If you're going to hold Republicans to a higher standard, then you need to hold your own party's members to that standard as well. No one should excuse sexual misbehavior from any politician, be it Trump or this congresswoman.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »

Well, the Democratic Party never claimed to be the party of family values.

Doesn't make my points any less valid. If you're going to hold Republicans to a higher standard, then you need to hold your own party's members to that standard as well. No one should excuse sexual misbehavior from any politician, be it Trump or this congresswoman.

Except Republicans defend Trump no matter what his personal foibles.

The second it came out that Al Franken had sexually harassed women, Democrats were lining up around the block to criticise him and he was forced to resign.

As I've said, I don't agree with how Republicans handle Trump. And as for Franken, yes he was forced out, but that was only because Democrats knew he would be replaced by another Democrat. If it were a Republican Governor responsible for filling his vacancy, I doubt they would have called for his resignation.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:14:51 AM »

So RedState is now publishing private text messages between Hill and Heslep in which they imply she has a drinking problem... Not only is this clearly a hitjob by RedState and Heslep, but this is a blatant violation of Hill’s privacy. They are opening the door to a sh**tload of legal problems.

Though I don't condone how RedState has handled this, I'm still appalled by the double standard which continues to be taken by many here over this matter.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 04:15:22 PM »

She definitely seems like a terrible person if all of this is true, and I won't defend her, but Republicans really shouldn't be pearl clutching and claiming double standards here. If Trump had done this, we all know how Republicans would react. Not to mention two Republicans who were literally criminals won re-election last year, as did a neo-Nazi and a guy who body slammed a reporter.

For smoking a bong and drinking? Damn. Keep your morals to yourself.

You seem obsessed on defending this woman. Though I definitely agree with Xing about the despicable Republicans whom he mentions (Hunter, Collins, King, and Gianforte), and though I certainly recognize how Republicans defend Trump (many of them worship at his altar, burning incense and offering gifts on a daily basis...), I also don't think that this all should excuse Hill either. What she has been accused of, based off what we have now, is much worse than what Al Franken did.

I suspect this woman will be allowed to skate by, will win re-election, and will linger in the halls of Congress for years to come. Just another disgraceful presence in such a flawed body. This thread is also very revealing, in terms of exposing partisanship. Trump's comment that his voters would not abandon him even if he shot someone can in many ways be applied to the Democratic base as well. Some are of the mentality that even if the worst offense is exposed, there should be no remedy, if it is not practically convenient.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »

She definitely seems like a terrible person if all of this is true, and I won't defend her, but Republicans really shouldn't be pearl clutching and claiming double standards here. If Trump had done this, we all know how Republicans would react. Not to mention two Republicans who were literally criminals won re-election last year, as did a neo-Nazi and a guy who body slammed a reporter.

For smoking a bong and drinking? Damn. Keep your morals to yourself.

You seem obsessed on defending this woman. Though I definitely agree with Xing about the despicable Republicans whom he mentions (Hunter, Collins, King, and Gianforte), and though I certainly recognize how Republicans defend Trump (many of them worship at his altar, burning incense and offering gifts on a daily basis...), I also don't think that this all should excuse Hill either. What she has been accused of, based off what we have now, is much worse than what Al Franken did.

I suspect this woman will be allowed to skate by, will win re-election, and will linger in the halls of Congress for years to come. Just another disgraceful presence in such a flawed body. This thread is also very revealing, in terms of exposing partisanship. Trump's comment that his voters would not abandon him even if he shot someone can in many ways be applied to the Democratic base as well. Some are of the mentality that even if the worst offense is exposed, there should be no remedy, if it is not practically convenient.

I'm defending her because the right is attacking her by leaking private photos of her. She literally did nothing wrong.

True, but earlier, I asked you what your response would be if a left-leaning or mainstream outlet had done so. You didn't respond, so I assume, therefore, that there would have been less of an issue. And I don't condone the photo-leaking either, but they are not the only problem. The other allegations concerning Hill's relationships, and possible ethics violations (and now, the Ethics Committee probes), are far more concerning. If it was just the photos alone, I wouldn't be as bothered.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »

and though I certainly recognize how Republicans defend Trump (many of them worship at his altar, burning incense and offering gifts on a daily basis...)

Have you been spying on me?

I was referring to Republican representatives in Congress (like members of the Freedom Caucus), not to you. Political partisans have a natural pull to the President of their own party. But many Congressional Republicans have been way overboard with how they've acted.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2019, 06:31:18 PM by Calthrina950 »

The fact that the blue avatars celebrate because a smear campaign by an abusive husband against his ex-wife has succeeded makes me sick.
She posted them herself, and she committed rape too.

More Dems should be like Ralph Northam, grow a freaking backbone.
Northam had scandal after scandal down the line of succession though.

It's utterly embarrassing that Justin Fairfax is still the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia. He was accused by not one, but two women, of rape and/or sexual assault, and he is defiant as always, refusing to resign his position. Of course, we have Trump. I would ask this of Atlas Democrats, however: If you wish to hold Republican politicians to a high standard (and I'm not attacking you for that), why don't you hold your own politicians to the same? I would be all for Trump being turned out of office, if Justin Fairfax and others like him were.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »

Where are all these Republicans on the impeachment thread?

Anyways, good riddance. Its unethical to have a relationship with your subordinates. And Calthrina, Conyers and Franken were both pushed out of the party after their allegations surfaced. Democrats do hold their own to a higher standard than Republicans.

You are correct when you say that Conyers and Franken were forced out, but what about Justin Fairfax? To say nothing of the fact that Franken's replacement was in large part guided by partisan considerations. Would he have been forced out if a Republican Governor were able to choose his replacement? That is a question that I've never been able to grapple with adequately.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:27:26 PM »

Where are all these Republicans on the impeachment thread?

Anyways, good riddance. Its unethical to have a relationship with your subordinates. And Calthrina, Conyers and Franken were both pushed out of the party after their allegations surfaced. Democrats do hold their own to a higher standard than Republicans.

You are correct when you say that Conyers and Franken were forced out, but what about Justin Fairfax? To say nothing of the fact that Franken's replacement was in large part guided by partisan considerations. Would he have been forced out if a Republican Governor were able to choose his replacement? That is a question that I've never been able to grapple with adequately.

Hypotheticals are irrelevant. You might as well be asking what if squares were circles, what would be different? Everything, of course.

Fairfax's continuance in office is a disgrace. At least Democrats actually take a stand on sexual assault. Come back to me when Republicans do that same.

Bill Clinton? If Democrats have always been consistent on this issue, they wouldn't have been so supportive of him back during the 1990s. Nor would they continue to excuse or ignore his behavior.

But at any rate, I'm not interested in arguing over this. I try to keep arguments to a minimum here after what happened during my first tenure here.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 01:17:59 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 04:39:29 AM by Brittain33 »

Blue avatars are being absolutely nauseating in this thread, especially the flock of newbie fascists. Shameful to see that such a bunch of little and pathetic human beings infected this place.

What? You don't like people who have opposing political viewpoints from yours? It's very revealing that some of the "red avatars" continue to defend this vile and disgraceful woman, though her misbehavior was her undoing, and has cast her from office after less than a year.

The people I'm referring to are enthusiastic supporters of Roy Moore and Donald Trump. The only thing Hill did wrong is a relationship with a staffer, and it pales near the moral rot of these two. Seeing these small, hateful human beings gleefully talking about how happy they are she was politically and personally destroyed by her abusive husband is absolutely disgusting.

I would certainly agree that what Trump and Moore have been accused of is horrendous, and far beyond what Hill has done. But it wasn't just a relationship with a staffer. Her behavior was in clear violation of the House's ethic rules, and having relationships with subordinates in the workplace, in such a manner, is an absolute "no-no". At any rate, she will be gone, and hopefully, will be succeeded by someone of much greater moral character.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »

This thread is a good reminder of why I left here in the first place. Hence, I will say nothing more about this matter.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »

Very sad to see her resign after having her name dragged through the mud, her personal life exposed, and no due process through a completed ethics committee investigation. All while the occupant of the White House has admitted to committing sexual assault, high crimes AND misdemeanors, incites white nationalist violence, and ignores the rule of law for his own personal game. Wonder what the difference between those two people is.

This thread is a good reminder of why I left here in the first place. Hence, I will say nothing more about this matter.

Why don't you just leave again then? Half of the posts I read from you are "THIS IS WHY I LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE".

I'm not leaving again. And you are grossly distorting the content of my posts. I've moved on from the "dark times", and I'm not going to replay them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies