Opinion of VeggieTales
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of VeggieTales
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of VeggieTales
Freedom Series

Horrible Series

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of VeggieTales  (Read 2229 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:39:10 PM »

Horrible Series. If I have kids they won't watch that crap.

The woman speaking at church today talked about how it's dumb and that it was ridiculous her Sunday School wanted to her young self and classmates all the answers to the universe with talking vegetables.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 06:43:26 PM »

A very strange show, Christian or not.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2019, 12:56:21 AM by Cleveland Rocks »

Freedom series!

Anyone who was raised in a Christian home in the 90's or 2000's knows about it. Also, it's much better than it had any right to be.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »

Boy is riding with cebu
(Boy is riding the cebu)
Into town in his canoe
(Into town in his canoe)
Sick cebu is rowing and sneezing
Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo
Achoo moo moo
(Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo
Achoo moo moo ahcu moo moo
Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo moo moo)

Hippo chewing on bamboo
(Hippo chewing on bamboo)
Can't see boy and three Cebu
(Can't see boy and three Cebu)
Sad cebu is rowing and crying
Ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo
Ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo moo moo
(Ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo
Ba hoo moo moo moo moo)

Cebu!
(Cebu!)
Cebu!
(Cebu!)
Achoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo
Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo boo hoo moo moo Cebu!

Hippo seen by mute cebu
(Hippo seen by mute cebu)
Tries to tell the other two
(Tries to tell the other two)
Mute cebu is waving and grunting
uhmmm, uhmmm,
uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm
(uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm,
uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm)
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »

FS
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »

Veggie Tales makes me think of my childhood tonsillectomy. This was in 2000, before we had home internet access, and I spent my recovery on the couch watching VHS tapes lent to us by some Mennonite family friends.

Let me assure you, Veggie Tales ranks well ahead of the era's other Christian programming for children. I think you need to spend some time with Focus on the Family's productions to understand by how much:

As I look back at the intro, I have to wonder whether the "families separated, children homeless" language would be in there today. It's hard to revisit any Reagan-Bush era material from fundamentalist Christians without noticing how much those politics set the tone. (I've said many times that I think this was more toxic than the open vulgarity of the Trump era, but there's a superficial kind of purity to it that has a charming innocence if you don't look too closely.) What are these kids watching today?
The Adventures in Odyssey series from Focus on the Family I remember not being too bad, although it wasn't all that explicitly Christian. It was like Disney Channel/Nickelodeon cartoons of the era except with really blatant positive morals tacked on and maybe some character quoting a Bible verse that related to the moral.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »

Veggie Tales makes me think of my childhood tonsillectomy. This was in 2000, before we had home internet access, and I spent my recovery on the couch watching VHS tapes lent to us by some Mennonite family friends.

Let me assure you, Veggie Tales ranks well ahead of the era's other Christian programming for children. I think you need to spend some time with Focus on the Family's productions to understand by how much:

As I look back at the intro, I have to wonder whether the "families separated, children homeless" language would be in there today. It's hard to revisit any Reagan-Bush era material from fundamentalist Christians without noticing how much those politics set the tone. (I've said many times that I think this was more toxic than the open vulgarity of the Trump era, but there's a superficial kind of purity to it that has a charming innocence if you don't look too closely.) What are these kids watching today?
The Adventures in Odyssey series from Focus on the Family I remember not being too bad, although it wasn't all that explicitly Christian. It was like Disney Channel/Nickelodeon cartoons of the era except with really blatant positive morals tacked on and maybe some character quoting a Bible verse that related to the moral.

I have a close friend who grew up on Adventures in Odyssey. She thinks really well of it, so I think well of it too. I think well of VeggieTales for much the same reason, but have never seen it myself.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »

I have a close friend who grew up on Adventures in Odyssey. She thinks really well of it, so I think well of it too. I think well of VeggieTales for much the same reason, but have never seen it myself.
Anyway I've long said I want hipster Christian movies. Not like these awful Kirk Cameron movies, but the equivalent of my Christian music as opposed to CCM. I mean artsy indie films with a Christian message. And yes they can have profanity and drugs and be rated R. I thought Lady Bird was a fantastic film with Christian undertones for example.

Ideally kids would watch the kiddie equivalent of that, not VeggieTales.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »

Any of the episodes on this list are good places to start.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »

Anyway I've long said I want hipster Christian movies. Not like these awful Kirk Cameron movies, but the equivalent of my Christian music as opposed to CCM. I mean artsy indie films with a Christian message. And yes they can have profanity and drugs and be rated R. I thought Lady Bird was a fantastic film with Christian undertones for example.

I don’t know a lot of Christian theology that is reconcilable with the borderline nihilistic meaning of drugs, profanity, and explicit content. That’s like having Christianity being defined by the ideas of... the pious minds of thirteen year old boys.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »

I don’t know a lot of Christian theology that is reconcilable with the borderline nihilistic meaning of drugs, profanity, and explicit content. That’s like having Christianity being defined by the ideas of... the pious minds of thirteen year old boys.
Not everything in a Christian movie has to be reconciled with Christian theology. Look at Pulp Fiction.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »

Positive, if only I remember the days when my daughter was 2-3 (she's now 17) and used to sing all of those tunes.   Brings back wonderful memories and feeling a little sad that time is going by so quickly...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »

Not everything in a Christian movie has to be reconciled with Christian theology. Look at Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction isn't a Christian movie Roll Eyes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »

What do you call the arc of Samuel L. Jackson's character?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »

To the extent that he has a character arc (and that's certainly debatable) I'd say his arc is about a bad person trying to be an ever so slightly less bad person.  Also, I'd love to hear how Jules letting the thieves keep the wallets they stole from everyone else fits in with your interpretation of the film.  Somehow I get the feeling Jesus might have a thing or two to say about that Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »

Nothing has better capture the s**ty essence of this show than Drawn Together.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »

I went to Catholic School for 2nd-8th grade. I haven't watched Veggie Tales since then, but I always thought it was more interesting way to get through a substitute teacher period then most of the other alternatives. FS.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »

To the extent that he has a character arc (and that's certainly debatable) I'd say his arc is about a bad person trying to be an ever so slightly less bad person.  Also, I'd love to hear how Jules letting the thieves keep the wallets they stole from everyone else fits in with your interpretation of the film.  Somehow I get the feeling Jesus might have a thing or two to say about that Tongue
That actually kind of bothered me the first time I saw it, but the interpretation I take now is he saw the redemption of the thieves as more important than the wallets of the other patrons.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 11:51:30 PM »

Boy is riding with cebu
(Boy is riding the cebu)
Into town in his canoe
(Into town in his canoe)
Sick cebu is rowing and sneezing
Achoo moo moo
(Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo
Achoo moo moo ahcu moo moo
Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo moo moo)

Hippo chewing on bamboo
(Hippo chewing on bamboo)
Can't see boy and three Cebu
(Can't see boy and three Cebu)
Sad cebu is rowing and crying
Ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo moo moo
(Ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo
Ba hoo moo moo moo moo)

Cebu!
(Cebu!)
Cebu!
(Cebu!)
Achoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo
Achoo moo moo achoo moo moo boo hoo moo moo Cebu!

Hippo seen by mute cebu
(Hippo seen by mute cebu)
Tries to tell the other two
(Tries to tell the other two)
Mute cebu is waving and grunting
uhmmm, uhmmm,
uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm
(uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm,
uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one whose mind immediately jumps to this!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 11:58:08 PM »

That actually kind of bothered me the first time I saw it, but the interpretation I take now is he saw the redemption of the thieves as more important than the wallets of the other patrons.

But how did they get redeemed?  I always interpreted it as they're gonna keep right on stealing stuff after the diner incident.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »

But how did they get redeemed?  I always interpreted it as they're gonna keep right on stealing stuff after the diner incident.
That's actually a good question, I should rewatch the scene. My interpretation is that Jules is basically showing them the way to follow in the path of his redemption.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »

That's actually a good question, I should rewatch the scene. My interpretation is that Jules is basically showing them the way to follow in the path of his redemption.

Fair enough, let me know what you think after rewatching the scene.  In any case, at this point, I just want to point out two things.  First, only on Atlas could a thread about VeggieTales turn into a discussion about the thematic meaning of Pulp Fiction Tongue  Second, one of the great things about art is that two people can look at it and come away with completely different yet equally valid interpretations. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »

If every creative work with a Christ figure is a "Christian work," RoboCop is also a Christian movie
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »

Terribly animated show that indoctrinates our children to hate capitalism and submit to the authority of a tyrannical god. Reminiscent of Maoist propaganda. Evil.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 01:23:02 AM »

Are you saying you don't like to waltz with potatoes?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies