If Wexit occurs, is admitting AB + SK for PR + DC a politically viable deal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:59:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Wexit occurs, is admitting AB + SK for PR + DC a politically viable deal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If Wexit occurs, is admitting Alberta and Saskatchewan as states in exchange for admitting Puerto Rico and DC a politically viable deal?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: If Wexit occurs, is admitting AB + SK for PR + DC a politically viable deal?  (Read 2770 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »

Suppose the new Liberal minority government has a breakdown with the Prairie provinces and Wexit somehow occurs. Alberta and Saskatchewan quickly find they can't go it alone and ask the US to admit them as states. Presumably, if admitted, they would vote Republican, albeit by lower numbers than they vote Conservative.

Historically, states were admitted in pairs to balance interests. Puerto Rico and DC would likely both vote Democratic, meaning they would likely off-set AB and SK in the Senate. Alberta and Puerto Rico have essentially the same population and SK has only about 300k more people than DC, but Dems could conceivably pick off congressional districts based around Calgary/Edmonton/Regina while the GOP would have a hard time winning any CDs in PR or DC. This means the change to the composition of the House is very minor as well.

Ignoring the improbable events to get us to that point, it seems like a pretty fair trade to me.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »

To be honest, you are delusional if you think Alberta and Saskatchewan would vote R if in the US.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »

To be honest, you are delusional if you think Alberta and Saskatchewan would vote R if in the US.

You don't think provinces which vote 70% Conservative might vote ~55% R? I guess you'd take the deal then, right?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:38:13 AM »

Alberta will vote for whoever is more pro-oil. I don't think that's AOC's party.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »

You don't think provinces which vote 70% Conservative might vote ~55% R? I guess you'd take the deal then, right?
30% Liberal creates a Democratic floor of that much. Democrats then need to win about 30% of the Conservative vote. I think this is a very easy task for Democrats to do considering differences in the 2 nations political systems, as most Canadian Conservatives are in an ideological range similar to Charlie Baker and Heidi Heitkamp, and still very much to the left of Larry Hogan and Joe Manchin, let alone comparisons to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »

30% Liberal creates a Democratic floor of that much. Democrats then need to win about 30% of the Conservative vote. I think this is a very easy task for Democrats to do considering differences in the 2 nations political systems, as most Canadian Conservatives are in an ideological range similar to Charlie Baker and Heidi Heitkamp, and still very much to the left of Larry Hogan and Joe Manchin, let alone comparisons to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump.

Stephen Harper would disagree . He was more conservative than Mitt Romney was and many Republicans are and not only did he dominate Alberta he was the PM of Canada for almost 10 years
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »

Stephen Harper would disagree . He was more conservative than Mitt Romney was and many Republicans are and not only did he dominate Alberta he was the PM of Canada for almost 10 years

Yeah, the liberalness of Canadian politics is way overstated.  This isn't Sweden or France.  Harper and other Reform-style Conservatives mesh very well with Republican ideology, and that's especially the case in SK + AB (not as much in ON or QC, but that's not in question here)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 12:21:50 PM »

Today I learned Andrew Scheer, Stephen Harper, Jason Kenney and Doug Ford would be moderate Democrats in the USA.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »

I’m glad to hear the horde of Atlas opinion is finally swayed, two years after I got ridiculed for saying the party of Stephen Harper would vote for the likes of Obama or Clinton, much less Sanders or Warren.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »

It would be interesting to see if the republicans recent ability to lose even conservative cities would extend to Edmonton and Calgary though.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »

Yeah, the liberalness of Canadian politics is way overstated.  This isn't Sweden or France.  Harper and other Reform-style Conservatives mesh very well with Republican ideology, and that's especially the case in SK + AB (not as much in ON or QC, but that's not in question here)

Exactly
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »

I'm not exactly sure why, but Wexit sounds like a condition that would require you to wear an adult diaper.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »

24 years ago, Quebec almost voted to leave Canada. Now many in the west want to leave Canada because of a Québécois.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why, but Wexit sounds like a condition that would require you to wear an adult diaper.
The Incontinental Congress? Sounds about right.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »

Last time we did anything similar to this, we were a union divided between slave states and free states, and admitted new states only on the basis of preserving the delicate balance between the two.

It didn't end well.... 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »

Last time we did anything similar to this, we were a union divided between slave states and free states, and admitted new states only on the basis of preserving the delicate balance between the two.

It didn't end well.... 

Well, we kinda did the same thing with AK and HI, only they ended up voting opposite of what was expected.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »

It didn't end well.... 

Well, we kinda did the same thing with AK and HI, only they ended up voting opposite of what was expected.
Yeah, Alaska was expected to vote Dem, and Hawaii was expected to vote Rep.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »

Kind of? But Puerto Rico has yet to demonstrate it wants statehood. Also, I’m a little uncomfortable with the idea of blatant saying our nation accepts states based on partisan politics.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »

Alberta & Saskatchewan would both vote Republican if they had long traditions of being in the U.S., but if they were cut out and annexed now, both would vote Democratic, if only to protect their healthcare systems. No one in Canada, not even conservatives, would trade their healthcare system for the American one, and "American-style healthcare" is often used as a scare term in Canada.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »

This myth of Canadian politics being way to the left of US politics needs to die. AB and SK would be just as Republicans as the US states right below them, if not more.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 09:57:19 PM »

Kind of? But Puerto Rico has yet to demonstrate it wants statehood. Also, I’m a little uncomfortable with the idea of blatant saying our nation accepts states based on partisan politics.
Puerto Rico has had two referendums in the past decade, both with statehood winning. Also we've always accepted states based on partisan politics. As stated by others, HI and AK were given statehood because it was expected Alaska would vote D, Hawaii R (while the reverse ended up being true). Dakota Territory was in two split by Republicans in 1889 explicitly because of politics after they won majorities in the 1888 elections.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »

Alberta & Saskatchewan would both vote Republican if they had long traditions of being in the U.S., but if they were cut out and annexed now, both would vote Democratic, if only to protect their healthcare systems. No one in Canada, not even conservatives, would trade their healthcare system for the American one, and "American-style healthcare" is often used as a scare term in Canada.

Isnt healthcare run though at the provincial level , I can bet if a deal was made to make them states they would get to keep that.

Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »

To be honest, you are delusional if you think Alberta and Saskatchewan would vote R D if in the US.

FTFY
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »

Yes, but there shouldn't be any deals. PR, DC, and Guam should be states regardless of how they'll vote. All Americans deserve to be represented in Congress and to vote for president. Arrangements should be made for the rest of the territories too.

And I would admit any Canadian province as a state, regardless of how it would vote, as well, assuming the people there legitimately wanted it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »

Kind of? But Puerto Rico has yet to demonstrate it wants statehood.
Puerto Rico has had two referendums in the past decade, both with statehood winning.
Neither referendum had a majority of voters favoring statehood thanks to boycotts of those nonbinding referendums by opponents.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies