What will the 2024 Dem field look like if a Dem loses in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What will the 2024 Dem field look like if a Dem loses in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will the 2024 Dem field look like if a Dem loses in 2020?  (Read 989 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »

I could see some who ran this time trying again, but what are some names that could run that didn't run this time?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »

Of big names who were expected to run this time, Sherrod Brown. Otherwise, expect some fresh new Democrats elected next year or in 2022. Maybe Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »

If Michelle Obama runs, I could easily see her as the nominee. Besides her, I think Oprah, all four squad members (AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley), Chelsea Clinton, and some of the 2020 candidates like Yang, Tulsi, Beto, Pete, and Warren. I also predict a Shaun King candidacy but it may not be as likely as the rest.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »

AOC will be the nominee.
wildviper121
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 06:30:44 PM »

Yang. Over the next four years candidacies that rely on the internet will be more successful and the issues Yang focuses on will become more pertinent.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 11:40:17 PM »

I predict Gretchen Whitmer will be the nominee
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 11:01:53 AM »

-Sherrod Brown, Buttigieg, and (especially if she isn't the nominee in 2020) Warren.

-Stacey Abrams if she can win election to something (probably governor).

-Gavin Newsom, Harris, or some other California candidate will probably run.

-Anyone who does anything notable in TX

-Some currently relatively unknown governors like Gretchen Whitmer, Jared Polis, or Michelle Lujan Grisham
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »

I suspect Democrats would want someone younger both to follow an elderly president they despise, and in the aftermath of two failed elderly candidates (There's also a tradition of younger candidates winning; see JFK, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and even 52 year old Jimmy Carter.)

Some potential contenders.

Pete Buttigieg- Has emerged from the 2020 primary with a higher profile. He'll still have the resume problem.
Joe Kennedy III- Has a better than even shot of being the party's youngest Senator and coming from the big state next to New Hampshire; can appeal to both older and younger voters.)
Andy Beshear- A young governor from a very conservative state who hasn't had to take positions that the base would hate.
Kirsten Sinema- She's made a conscious decision to keep a low national profile and focus on what's popular in her state. She could very easily become a national figure.
The running mate- In the event, Biden or Warren is the nominee, they'll probably have a running mate who is younger and adds some kind of diversity. That person could currently be in House leadership or a former cabinet official, but they will have a much higher profile and can use it as a launching pad for the top of the ticket.
Stacey Abrams- With Booker and Harris bombing in the presidential campaign this cycle, I could see Abrams making a play for the people who want to vote for an Obama type next cycle, after a few years developing a national profile as a voting rights activist.
AOC- It's entirely possible she'll run for President with her high profile in Congress. I don't think she'd win but she could be part of the field.
Newsom- He might run to show off liberal leadership, as one of the most prominent Governors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies