Impeachment megathread Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:40:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment megathread Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80
Author Topic: Impeachment megathread Part 2  (Read 110967 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »

I have no sympathy for all the fools who did Trump's dirty work and are now hung out to dry.
It is the most predictable thing ever.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »

Dude has a first name and chooses to go by Ulrich?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »

I'm not sure if this goes here or in the indictment thread, but really crazy.

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »

We are living in a cartoon...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »

How do you even?... sigh. lol
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »

Dude has a first name and chooses to go by Ulrich?

I assume his last name is pronounce like Breakball so Ulrich Breakball(s) has a nice ring to it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »

To amplify, the judge has also ruled that there is no requirement for a formal vote to initiate an impeachment inquiry:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »

To amplify, the judge has also ruled that there is no requirement for a formal vote to initiate an impeachment inquiry:

You love to see it.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »

Bob Barr and Mike Pompeo have to be indicted for obstruction along with our criminal in chief after the election. A mob boss as president can appoint a fellow mob boss as AG and SOS.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »

Once again, the courts emphasize the obvious reality for people to ignore to accept it. That's why this still won't matter or put a dent in the Republican rhetoric about this.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 08:48:17 PM »

At some point, one that's probably long past us already but is especially clear now, aren't we duty-bound to impeach?  It's hardly just about Trump.  Do we really want future presidents, regardless of party, to solicit campaign help from abroad, or leverage the country's national security interests and the will of Congress against promises of foreign leaders to help candidates defeat their domestic  opponents?  (Such things, by the way, would have enraged the country's founders.) If we allow these things to go unpunished, then we allow everyone in the future to do them too.  I think it doesn't even matter anymore if the Senate doesn't convict, and I don't think the election consequences should be a factor anymore.  An impeachment, even failing a conviction, will at least send a message to future presidents that, if they engage in that kind of conduct, their presidencies may be imperilled.  People who have sworn oaths to the Constitution have to draw the bright line somewhere at this point.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 08:34:16 AM by pbrower2a »

At some point, one that's probably long past us already but is especially clear now, aren't we duty-bound to impeach?  It's hardly just about Trump.  Do we really want future presidents, regardless of party, to solicit campaign help from abroad, or leverage the country's national security interests and the will of Congress against promises of foreign leaders to help candidates defeat their domestic  opponents?  (Such things, by the way, would have enraged the country's founders.) If we allow these things to go unpunished, then we allow everyone in the future to do them too.  I think it doesn't even matter anymore if the Senate doesn't convict, and I don't think the election consequences should be a factor anymore.  An impeachment, even failing a conviction, will at least send a message to future presidents that, if they engage in that kind of conduct, their presidencies may be imperilled.  People who have sworn oaths to the Constitution have to draw the bright line somewhere at this point.

Elections have consequences, and so do the choices of politicians have consequences in subsequent elections -- when they stand for the horrible behavior of other pols.  All but three Republicans signed what should have been death warrants for their own political careers. Maybe most will get away with it. Loyalty is a virtue, but only when the object of loyalty has some innocence or respectability. Loyalty to a discredited idea or a criminal cause is no virtue.

Nearly fifty US Senators, all of whom should know better, have effectively stated that President Trump is beyond judgment. I could list political leaders who saw themselves beyond judgment. Conspicuously missing from this list are forty-three prior Presidents. On that list of leaders considering themselves beyond judgment are almost exclusively despots and dictators.

When does our current President decide that he is beyond judgment of law? Consider that one of the  President's predecessors had involvement in establishing that gangster leadership of warring states merited harsh judgment for deeds that no person can rightly get away with.

OK, Dwight Eisenhower was not an attorney or jurist by training... but he certainly showed respect for legal formalities when the time arose, whether as a general or as a President. He was about as good as that as one of the finest legal minds who ever became President of the United States, and you know to whom I refer when I compare Eisenhower to another President. Formalities, precedent, and protocol matter, and ignoring those can easily lead to disaster.

Selling out the Kurds is criminal cowardice. Any military officer who did something like that would face courts-martial for that. Whether such is an enumerated "high crime or misdemeanor" is in doubt, but it is far more disgusting than any sexcapade of Bill Clinton. To be sure, our President has no more training in military service than Obama or in law as Eisenhower. He has a degree in business administration, and he is accustomed to getting his way by bluffing and finagling, neither of which one can get away with as Commander-in-Chief, Chief Diplomat, or effectively the #1 enforcer in government. Too many are watching, and there had better be moral and intellectual substance behind one. To be sure, the government can do much in secrecy... but as a rule a solid reason such as confidentiality of sources or secrecy on matters of national security applies.

Donald Trump must go down to impeachment and removal this time, or politicians who defended him to the last need to go down with him at the first opportunity.

We have a President who, had he not been born to privilege, most likely would have sold over-priced used cars to people with fecal credit at tote-the-note lots... or schlock furniture at places that tout easy credit to every comer. There are people who would be unable to get to work if they couldn't get credit for a fifteen-year-old used car for five years at 100% interest... and it is a bad idea to sleep on the floor of a rat-infested apartment. Some people get into such plights, and the worst that the commercial world can do to them is mercy in contrast to the obvious alternative. Most people can do better than that, and do.      
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 11:23:47 PM »

At some point, one that's probably long past us already but is especially clear now, aren't we duty-bound to impeach?  It's hardly just about Trump.  Do we really want future presidents, regardless of party, to solicit campaign help from abroad, or leverage the country's national security interests and the will of Congress against promises of foreign leaders to help candidates defeat their domestic  opponents?  (Such things, by the way, would have enraged the country's founders.) If we allow these things to go unpunished, then we allow everyone in the future to do them too.  I think it doesn't even matter anymore if the Senate doesn't convict, and I don't think the election consequences should be a factor anymore.  An impeachment, even failing a conviction, will at least send a message to future presidents that, if they engage in that kind of conduct, their presidencies may be imperilled.  People who have sworn oaths to the Constitution have to draw the bright line somewhere at this point.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »

Above and beyond that, there's the issue of the Congressional power of the purse. Donald Trump illegally withheld funds allocated by Congress on a personal whim. (His maladministration could have at least tried to come up with a legal fig-leaf, but didn't even bother.) If Trump is not impeached, Congress is saying that in the future they will hand money to the Executive, who may then make their own decisions on how to spend it without reference to the expressed will Congress.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 11:45:38 PM »

This is a beautiful sentiment, but its also terrifying because as it currently stands there is no reason to believe that Trump is going to be removed from office.  This is the new normal in American politics I'm afraid.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 05:08:39 AM »

This is a beautiful sentiment, but its also terrifying because as it currently stands there is no reason to believe that Trump is going to be removed from office.  This is the new normal in American politics I'm afraid.

Ok, but if this is the new normal in American politics, then 1.) the legacy of the "America first" president will have been to put future presidents into the debt of foreign helpers of their campaigns, even if it means compromising the national security interests of the United States, and 2.) if Constitutional limitations on powers of office and delineation of separation of powers are now effectively meaningless, then the basic political ideals, as well as the security, of the country are finished.  If the Senate does not remove, at least impeachment creates the right precedent.  If impeachment is foregone because eyes are fixed on the next election, and Trump wins anyway, then this conduct will have been completely vindicated, now and in the future. 

The gargantuan mistake the country made was electing this absolute fraud in the first place.  But now that it's happened, there comes a point when protecting the Constitution is more important than the results of the next election.  We've been going on for far too long already surrendering every standard we have ever had just for Donald J. Trump and for fear of his cult.  It has to stop somewhere, or it will swallow what the U.S. was designed to be, a state protected by checks and balances.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It seems like there's a lot of subtle momentum for his removal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 09:31:07 AM by Cory Booker »

Trump already made a call out the GOP, that if the GOP takes the House in 2022, then they should try to impeach Biden, by his comment, saying if the roles were reversed, then GOP can use the same tactics and impeach a Dem president with no rights.

I already stated that impeachment is a waste of resources and we should be concentrating on the homeless crisis. The GOP will return the favor, if Pelosi doesn't hold a vote on the Floor, to give GOP supeona rights; as a result, Pelosi, who lives in SF, has the worst homeless crisis. That's why Harris won't be Prez, due toFeinstein, as well, living in SF with the worst homeless crisis

Media has a track record of overblowing impeachment, look at 1998, they called Clinton the worst criminal and we got 911 and Bush W. Gore has warned us about the green economy and the transition took place in 2007
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »

Trump already made a call out the GOP, that if the GOP takes the House in 2022, then they should try to impeach Biden, by his comment, saying if the roles were reversed, then GOP can use the same tactics and impeach a Dem president with no rights.

I already stated that impeachment is a waste of resources and we should be concentrating on the homeless crisis. The GOP will return the favor, if Pelosi doesn't hold a vote on the Floor, to give GOP supeona rights; as a result, Pelosi, who lives in SF, has the worst homeless crisis. That's why Harris won't be Prez, due to Feinstein, as well, living in SF with the worst homeless crisis

Impeachment is no triviality. It is not a means of nullifying an election. It is not a recognition that the election of the President is a popular mistake. About 36% of the American people thought that the election of LBJ in 1964 was a mistake, according to the electoral results.

Thus a President cannot be impeached for economic, military, or diplomatic disasters. We do not impeach the President for a depression and we cannot impeach him for hyperinflation (should we ever get that).

President Trump seems to have done many deeds that prior Presidents did not do, and some of them could be impeachable because they are criminal. 
roxas11
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 01:53:14 PM by roxas11 »

I already stated that impeachment is a waste of resources and we should be concentrating on the homeless crisis. The GOP will return the favor, if Pelosi doesn't hold a vote on the Floor, to give GOP supeona rights; as a result, Pelosi, who lives in SF, has the worst homeless crisis. That's why Harris won't be Prez, due toFeinstein, as well, living in SF with the worst homeless crisis

Media has a track record of overblowing impeachment, look at 1998, they called Clinton the worst criminal and we got 911 and Bush W. Gore has warned us about the green economy and the transition took place in 2007

I don't agree with this at all

Trump abused his power and he should not be let off the hook for that just because some people want to look the other way. If the GOP wants to save him in the senate then so be it. He still deserves to be impeached for what he did and hopefully this will send a message to future presidents

I don't care if the GOP wants to return the favor to a future Dem president
If a Dem president engages in this kind of behavior than they should also be impeached and I would 100 percent back the GOP if president Biden or Warren ever pulled a stunt like this.

If A future president does not want to get impeached than don't engage in impeachable behavior
its that simple otherwise you will end up just like Trump. Ultimately Trump needs to be made an example of. what he did is not ok at all and if future presidents wants to do the same then they will be put through the same hell trump is currently going through and impeachment will be a stain of their legacies

P.S. The comparison to Clinton in 1998 is ridiculous
He lied about having an affair and that was it

What Trump did goes far beyond that

He stopped military aid that even his own ambassador believes got people killed
He put pressure on a foreign government simply to help himself politically and he put his shady lawyer in charge of a shadow foreign policy that hurt our real Ukraine foreign policy.

This is not overblown its outrageous and If anything people should be even more angry that the presidents personal lawyer had this much power and control over our foreign policy in the first place despite not being an elected official or having any real foreign policy knowledge.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2019, 06:13:21 PM »

"Not hire yes-man? Trump no like that! Trump fire Kelly and replace with yes-man!"
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »

Wait hang on, what does the California homeless crisis have to do with impeachment, or with Harris struggling?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies