I don’t know what it’s like to really have a friend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I don’t know what it’s like to really have a friend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: I don’t know what it’s like to really have a friend  (Read 3115 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 01:05:10 AM »

that's sad bro get off the internet and go outside and meet some friends

HillGoose with an unnecessary and unhelpful response

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »

The goose is genuine, so dont stress.

When i was a kid i used to live in my friends houses and they in mine.

It was pretty rock solid because we were finding the world together. We had worldly terror to ovecome in all forms and manifestations. Admittedly, mostly in our own head, but it was fun.

As an adult, it's more of a challenge as someone said.

Friendships grow from a mutual hatred, challenge, or common love of something. Go out and find one. The harder it is, the better the friendship, so physical exertion helps.

That is why online friendships are so fickle. No eye contact, no voice, not real effort.

I'm a lot more alone in life now a 48, and i am starting to enjoy time by myself. That was not always the case.

I like my struggle, and am thinking about writing a book.

"My Struggle"

But my German publisher never replies to my emails.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »

sorry I really did think that was helpful advice!

I mean you guys are right about it being harder to make friends when you're older I guess, which is why I didn't say something like "go out to a club and make friends" bcuz club friends are really not the highest quality lmao

but for real there are interesting activities around where he lives, there must be, he lives in the northeast megalopolis. Like for real if i was in his position I'd go out and find interesting stuff to me and then just being around other people who are interested in it friends would come naturally, i think.

but then also idk if darklordoftech really likes NJ, in which case i think making a big life change and chasing his dreams wherever they may be could work wonders.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2019, 11:25:43 PM by TJ in Oregon »

My message to the OP is that we all love you, we all feel your pain, and we all want to see you happy.....but stay away from TheArizonan.

I don’t want to get SJW on you, but this is very insensitive - though the broader advice is ok. Online friends are great but don’t let Atlas become a crutch.
I must admit- this is a decent post (except for the jab at Arizonan).

I certainly didn't appreciate his cheap shot against me.
I certainly don’t appreciate you threatening to physically assault a man at your campus library for wearing a hat you don’t like.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 10:38:57 PM »

Having friends is nice and all but not at the expense of yourself. As a wise man once said: "When it comes to friends....be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind....don't matter, and those who matter....don't mind."
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 04:09:23 AM »

I didn’t realize my thread had been moved.

Anyway, the issue is that people always say “no” when I invite them to things or ask to join them, and of course nobody ever invites me to anything, no matter how much interest I show.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »

Anyway, the issue is that people always say “no” when I invite them to things or ask to join them, and of course nobody ever invites me to anything, no matter how much interest I show.

I'm praying for you.  I believe God can, and will, empower you to overcome this and be blessed with the sort of friends He wishes people to have. 

That includes a loyal and faithful spouse.  When God created Man, his first observation was, "It is not good for the Man to be alone." and He created woman to complete his Creation.

People have given you some good advice and encouragement here, but God has the power to work the impossible, break strongholds, and provide you with what you want and need.  He loves you and has a personal interest in your well-being, and He's not a God that simply sits back and doesn't intervene in the lives of people. 

I would also suggest to you that you actually see a counselor, if you are able to do so.  Learning how to be someone's friend is actually a skill, and you just have to read posts on Atlas to realize that some folks here are better at that skill than others.  It IS harder to make new friends as an adult, as people are more settled with families.  When I was your age, I was getting sober in AA, so I was trading in drinking friends for sober friends, and since many of these people have messed up their lives and families, they were in rebuilding mode and had something in common with me that was important, but that isn't something that is applicable to every situation.  It's OK to seek help and to learn how to do something, socially.  I've done so at various times in my own life.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »

The lack of social interaction and invitation increases with age i have found.

That is why older people suffer loneliness more.

And when older people get together, they cherish the simple things more.

What you take for granted as a child is soon lost as time progresses.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »

Sorry to be blunt but maybe they think what you're inviting them to is lame?

I know at one point I invited the whole squad to a lecture on development economics and nobody was interested, not even my fiancee. I don't blame them, though.

But when I ask everyone if they want to go to a club and dance then head home w me and slam shots of fireball and chug natty light until we pass out, everyone is down.
redeagleofficial

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »

Become a Republican and then maybe you're worldview will change and you will be less lonely.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 11:04:52 PM »

I know at one point I invited the whole squad to a lecture on development economics and nobody was interested, not even my fiancee. I don't blame them, though.

But when I ask everyone if they want to go to a club and dance then head home w me and slam shots of fireball and chug natty light until we pass out, everyone is down.
Then why was I begged not to attend a party, even when I provided transportation?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »

Then why was I begged not to attend a party, even when I provided transportation?

did u have bad blood with whoever was hosting the party or a large group of people who were going to attend this party?

bcuz imma be real with u there r certain people who i dont want at my ragers because i just don't like them, usually after they have done and continued to do something stupid. maybe if you had issues with someone in the past they were like hell no i'm not coming if this guy is and then like, the host or whatever was like yo bro don't roll up bcuz homeboy here isn't going to and that guy might be closer friends with him you feel?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »

did u have bad blood with whoever was hosting the party or a large group of people who were going to attend this party?

bcuz imma be real with u there r certain people who i dont want at my ragers because i just don't like them, usually after they have done and continued to do something stupid. maybe if you had issues with someone in the past they were like hell no i'm not coming if this guy is and then like, the host or whatever was like yo bro don't roll up bcuz homeboy here isn't going to and that guy might be closer friends with him you feel?
There definitely wasn’t any bad blood.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 05:44:27 AM »

Where do you know these people from?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »

University
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »

University

Are you a student currently?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »

darklordoftech, are you an undergraduate or are you in graduate school?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 06:30:23 PM »

Do you have any talents you could show off?  You're probably very knowledgeable about politics and history.  I wish I had shown off my intelligence more in middle and high school; I might have been more popular.  It might work.  Then again, it might not.  Adults may not be as attracted to such bragging.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to try out for Jeopardy! or something like that.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »

Do you have any talents you could show off?  You're probably very knowledgeable about politics and history.  I wish I had shown off my intelligence more in middle and high school; I might have been more popular.  It might work.  Then again, it might not.  Adults may not be as attracted to such bragging.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to try out for Jeopardy! or something like that.

If anything being knowledgeable about stuff and being ''smart'' is much more of a plus than when you're a teenager.

I do much better socially now then I did in highschool, and to a large degree that's because adults are interested in talking about intellectual stuff while teenagers often aren't.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »

University

Are you a student currently?
I was at the time of the party, but not currently.
darklordoftech, are you an undergraduate or are you in graduate school?
Undergrad, although I left university and am now at Community College. I’m currently in my last semester of community college.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »

I’m sorry that this is getting you down, darklordoftech. I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions on this forum. Keep up hope and keep trying to meet people and make friends. Eventually it will work out and in the meantime you could also see a counselor if that is something that you want to do.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation darklord. You are indeed a rather good poster on this forum and are one of the key users driving discussion on a lot of the less active boards such as History, Individual Politics, Political Geography and Demographics, etc. As someone who prefers to post in the topics outside of USGD and 2020 election predictions, you have my appreciation.

Try looking for clubs at college or in your local area that you can join. Meeting with new people regularly over shared interest is a good environment to start building new relationships. Also, if you haven't already, I would recommend getting a gym membership and developing a weekly fitness plan. A healthy lifestyle will increase your sense of wellbeing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2019, 01:48:48 AM »

I’m sorry that this is getting you down, darklordoftech. I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions on this forum. Keep up hope and keep trying to meet people and make friends. Eventually it will work out and in the meantime you could also see a counselor if that is something that you want to do.
^^^ This.

I really don't think I'm the right person to give you advice, since I'm not exactly good at socializing myself, and besides it's hard to give useful advice without knowing all the details of your situation, but I do genuinely wish you best and believe that you deserve a supportive community just as much as all of us.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but know that you're not alone. There are many people on this website who struggle with anxiety and loneliness - many of us do not have large social circles. Finding friends can be challenging for sure, but it is not impossible. Many people have similar interests to you and would value the knowledge and passion you have for politics and history. I have always appreciated your informative and thought-provoking posts, and it's clear that many other people here feel the same way. And although all of us here are not your real-life friends, at least take comfort in the fact that we share your interests and enjoy your presence.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 02:06:04 AM »

I’m afraid of missing out on being young. I’ve heard 16-year-olds say, “I used to smoke weed.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies