AP: Most Americans oppose reparations for slavery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:19:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  AP: Most Americans oppose reparations for slavery
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AP: Most Americans oppose reparations for slavery  (Read 1104 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »

Source: https://apnews.com/76de76e9870b45d38390cc40e25e8f03
Only 29% of Americans say the government should pay cash reparations, according to the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll.

But the poll reveals a large divide between Americans of different racial and ethnic backgrounds.

Most black Americans, 74%, favor reparations, compared with 15% of white Americans. Among Hispanics, 44% favor reparations.
Poll respondents also were sharply divided by race on whether the U.S. government should issue an apology for slavery: 64% of white Americans oppose a government apology, while 77% of black Americans and 64% of Hispanics believe an apology is due. Overall, 46% of Americans favor and 52% oppose a national apology.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »

I oppose it because money is not the answer. At the root of the problem is a deep wound that needs healing. On all sides. No amount of money can do that. After the money is spent or saved or invested, what then? The deep wound will still be there, festering because it wasn't healed.

Let's start an honest conversation and go from there. Are people ready to do that? I believe that is how this needed healing will begin.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 12:12:51 AM »

What mean?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »

Poll: Most Americans oppose something that practically nobody is proposing in the first place.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:57:14 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Are you for reals? I mean, if all you've ever heard are the negative black sterotypes and have never met an African American, that might be one thing... but even still... you'd be a fool for believing them. And if you aren't that blissfully unaware... wow...

Like... most black folk aren't the vicious criminals white nationalists want everyone to think they be.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 05:24:42 AM »

Warren's campaign was about reparations, medicare for all; as a result, a ballooning 22T deficit. Blacks and Latinos need support programs that will give them a level playing field, such as more section 8 vouchers and student loan forgiveness. As a result, Millionaire tax can be passed by Biden or Warren
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »

Poll: Most Americans oppose something that practically nobody is proposing in the first place.

What do you mean no one is practically proposing.

Don't play games.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee said she wants a reparations package.

If Democrats get a trifecta in 2021, it is possible.

https://jacksonlee.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-sheila-jackson-lee-introduces-legislation-for-a-commission
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »

Uh, several major Dem presidential contenders support them in some form.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:57:32 AM by TJ in Oregon »

How do you keep getting away with writing this stuff on atlas?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:57:45 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Don’t know what you mean ...

What is wrong with my statement ?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:58:01 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Don’t know what you mean ...

What is wrong with my statement ?

So you're just going to pretend that what you said about an entire group of people using money for horrible reasons despite the fact that most of them literally don't do the things that you listed isn't wrong?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:58:53 AM by TJ in Oregon »

If fuzzy bear said this, you guys would have him banned
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:59:07 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Can we quarantine vexing Fuzzy's immense persecution complex to the internal discussion board please? Absolutely no need to bring this cancer onto another already ailing area of the forum.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »

What do you mean no one is practically proposing.

Don't play games.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee said she wants a reparations package.

If Democrats get a trifecta in 2021, it is possible.

https://jacksonlee.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-sheila-jackson-lee-introduces-legislation-for-a-commission

Congratulations for proving my point by finding exactly one person who is proposing cash payouts. A

Uh, several major Dem presidential contenders support them in some form.

Most are through infrastructure--the poll specifically covered cash payouts to individuals, which again almost nobody is proposing.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 01:59:28 AM by TJ in Oregon »

You want to murder 90% of the planet's population
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »

Yeah, cash payouts are extremely stupid. At what point does someone qualify as an "African descendant of slavery?" When they're 1/4th black? 1/8th? Or do the Democrats plan to start going by the one-drop rule again? Then of course there's the question of how to give reparations to African immigrants who may not be descendants of slavery, yet who might've been affected by Jim Crow, etc. It's an obscenely bad idea. I think the plan to put that money into predominately black schools is much more feasible, and it wouldn't result in creepy racial testing to see if anyone qualifies.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »

Yeah, cash payouts are extremely stupid. At what point does someone qualify as an "African descendant of slavery?" When they're 1/4th black? 1/8th? Or do the Democrats plan to start going by the one-drop rule again? Then of course there's the question of how to give reparations to African immigrants who may not be descendants of slavery, yet who might've been affected by Jim Crow, etc. It's an obscenely bad idea. I think the plan to put that money into predominately black schools is much more feasible, and it wouldn't result in creepy racial testing to see if anyone qualifies.

TBF, candidates aren't endorsing reparations per se, but instead are endorsing creating a congressional committee to answer the questions you are asking.

I find it unlikely they would reach any sort of meaningful or satisfying answer to any of these questions, but I think the real purpose of the committee is to use congressional authorities to investigate high-profile research into economic consequences of slavery and its aftermath. It's a rather ambitious (and politically toxic) project but nobody is advocating that we enact reparations in 2021.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »

TBF, candidates aren't endorsing reparations per se, but instead are endorsing creating a congressional committee to answer the questions you are asking.

I find it unlikely they would reach any sort of meaningful or satisfying answer to any of these questions, but I think the real purpose of the committee is to use congressional authorities to investigate high-profile research into economic consequences of slavery and its aftermath. It's a rather ambitious (and politically toxic) project but nobody is advocating that we enact reparations in 2021.

That's true for the candidates. This poll, however, was explicitly about cash reparations (I think). And I'm saying that it makes total sense that Americans are against that. As for the committee... I'm for it in principle, I suppose. I just don't have any faith in the bureaucracy to correctly assess the situation or act properly in response, especially after the Moynihan Report.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 08:20:38 AM »

I believe that everyone has been affected in negative ways down through time by that ignorant and shameful period in our history. The wrongs perpetrated against blacks back then is embedded in our national consciousness, in our psychology, and still affects us today. A national healing needs to take place, as well as individual healing before we can move forward.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »

How does a one time cash payment help future generations or level the playing field? The same issues facing the African American community will continue to exist long after that check is cashed. Long term investments and structural changes need to be implemented. Cash reparations accomplish nothing except as a way for candidates to pander for votes.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »

How does a one time cash payment help future generations or level the playing field? The same issues facing the African American community will continue to exist long after that check is cashed. Long term investments and structural changes need to be implemented. Cash reparations accomplish nothing except as a way for candidates to pander for votes.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »

Quite right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies