No WMD in Iraq (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:23:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  No WMD in Iraq (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No WMD in Iraq  (Read 10007 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: January 08, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »

The problem is not that, but the fact that a rather specific reason was given for the war, and the fact that other reasons existed and have been repeated a number of times since then doesn't change that.

Well the Iraq war still is very popular among the people and WMDs while not needed would still be a boost.  That is what I was trying to convey, just like getting OBL- I think if either one happens it will almost be game over.

Well Iraq was sponsering terrorism and not complying with the resolutions it agreed to comply with to end the first gulf war.  So one could argue strongly that the war was justified on those grounds alone, among many others.

Not saying it did either, but what would you say would justify the war?

Nothing justifies the invasion of another sovereign country except for special humanitarian concerns. I dont think Bush went to war for humanitarian concerns no matter how they try to spin it now. He didn't care about the Iraqi people and still doesnt insofar as it doesnt affect his imperial designs.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is true, but it really shouldn't given that the administration already admitted months ago that WMD may never be found, and that they don't really care.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:05:15 PM »

attn EUROPEANS:

last night some belgium paper said they had reports and were writing a story ina  newspaper there that the WMDS had been sent out of Iraq and are being stored in Syria, heard anything about this?

Europe is not really a unit. I know as much about Belgian papers as I know about Syrian ones, that is to say, nothing. Sorry.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 05:16:24 PM »

I don't think retroactive issues like 'justifications' for the war matter much in the election.  What matters is public perception of whether we're winning, casualties, and extrication.

Yes, that's right. Sadly, perception is all that matters... Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 01:28:02 PM »

And the increasing unwillingness to sacrifice for the good of the country is being fueled by Americans being told that we can have both a massive war against terrorism globally and huge tax cuts, and oh yeah, we won't have to cut government spending on anything else either. And you can keep driving your gas-guzzling SUVs to the shopping mall too...that doesn't increase our dependence on oil from the Middle East or anything.
Where are the leaders who stand up and tell us the truth, that we all have to sacrifice for the good of the country? Let's elect a President who will be honest and straightforward with us about what is required on our part to combat terrorism. With this administration, it is truly ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.

Nothing is required of the average American in the war against terrorism except to vote to re-elect GWBush.  If we have to give up SUVs and other integral aspects of what it is to be American, then what the devil are we fighting for?

What does SUV stand for and why is it an integral part of being American?

I thought it was about democray, freedom and other trivial things, but what do I know about being American...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 04:20:20 PM »

There was a report I saw on CNN today about the Danish army stumbling acorss about 120 mortar shells with possible chemical weapons inside of them. There was a statement about it from CentCom but nothing from the White House. This is big for Bush in reelection issues.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/01/10/sprj.irq.chemicals/index.html

Don't bring that up again. The Danes doing something helpful in Iraq is a ridiculous idea. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 02:49:27 PM »

There was a report I saw on CNN today about the Danish army stumbling acorss about 120 mortar shells with possible chemical weapons inside of them. There was a statement about it from CentCom but nothing from the White House. This is big for Bush in reelection issues.

Don't bring that up again. The Danes doing something helpful in Iraq is a ridiculous idea. Smiley

Now it's my turn to be obtuse.   Do you have something against the Danes?

They tried to conquer us for centuries and is the country we have fought the most wars with, lol. You might not know the background, but Denmark entered the war in Iraq by sending a submarine to the Gulf. Now, most Swedes were schocked to hear that the Danes actually HAD an army at all, not to mention a submarine. And then sending a submarine to a desert war, well it just looked funny. So it became a joke in Sweden, and if they actually accomplished something, it would ruin the joke.

I am not really being that serious, you know, I wish we had been on the same side as the Danes... Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 12:50:42 PM »

Beware the Danes are coming! Gustaf, wait until they invade ya Smiley Smiley Smiley

Bring it on! We have beaten them before, we will do so again... Wink Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 12:53:50 PM »

Now it's my turn to be obtuse.   Do you have something against the Danes?

They tried to conquer us for centuries and is the country we have fought the most wars with, lol. You might not know the background, but Denmark entered the war in Iraq by sending a submarine to the Gulf. Now, most Swedes were schocked to hear that the Danes actually HAD an army at all, not to mention a submarine. And then sending a submarine to a desert war, well it just looked funny. So it became a joke in Sweden, and if they actually accomplished something, it would ruin the joke.

I am not really being that serious, you know, I wish we had been on the same side as the Danes... Wink

They gave us the danish. How can a food so good come from a country so bad? I rest my case. The Danes are our friends for life. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Hm, Belgium gave you the French Fries, remember? Danish sure isn't called that in Swedish, and we ought to know...Denmark isn't that bad, they're nice people who drink a lot and make deep movies with shaky cameras. They also block EU-centralization every now and then, for which I am very thankful. But they've never been good at wars, that's more our field really, or was anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies