Rasmussen: CT Gov - Rell (R) 65%, Malloy (D) 21%, DeStefano (D) 19%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:20:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rasmussen: CT Gov - Rell (R) 65%, Malloy (D) 21%, DeStefano (D) 19%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen: CT Gov - Rell (R) 65%, Malloy (D) 21%, DeStefano (D) 19%  (Read 2237 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2006, 01:16:31 PM by Adlai Stevenson »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2005/Connecticut%20Governor.htm

This is almost not worth posting. But Rell holds what Rasmussen describes as 'in Command' and and 'huge lead' in two matchups with:

Stamford Mayor Dan Malloy who wins 21% to her 65%;

New Haven Mayor John DeStefano, Jr. has 19% to Rell who remains on 65%.

Rell's approval is currently at 87%; 81% believe she's doing a good job.

nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 01:18:45 PM »

87% is insane for approval rating, but she deserves it.  Well, if there were any doubts before about this race being competitive, they should be gone by now.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »

Rell is an excellent politician.  She knows just how to hit the perfect pitch on all the major issues.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »

Why is she so popular?  All I know about her is she survived breast cancer, replaced a corrupt governor (she was actually part of his administration), and signed civil unions into law.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »

Why is she so popular?  All I know about her is she survived breast cancer, replaced a corrupt governor (she was actually part of his administration), and signed civil unions into law.

Didn't she also veto an death penalty abolition bill recently?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »

I live in the state, so I've been watching her closely for the past 1-1/2 years that she's been governor.

Part of it is that she isn't John Rowland.  He was pretty popular up until 2003, but lost his popularity when his lying became clear.  She came in like a breath of fresh air, and projected enough distance from him not to get caught up in his scandals.

Part of it is her personality.  She has a very pleasing personality, and appears to be open to various points of view.

She gives the conservatives (or what pass for conservatives in Connecticut) just enough to keep them from revolting, while appearing open to more liberal viewpoints.

Interestingly enough, I got a fundraising letter from her recently, and she didn't mention a word about civil unions.  She successfully presented it in such a manner that she is credited with settling the issue without allowing gay marriage, and that's enough for her supporters.

She refused to commute the death sentence of Michael Ross earlier this year, another popular position.  She also said that if the state legislature tried to repeal the death penalty, she would veto it.  The attempted repeal failed by a large margin.

Part of her popularity is that she didn't really have to make very hard choices in her budget.  State revenues are up, and incumbent governors are usually popular when that is the case.  And her strongest potential opponent -- Richard Blumenthal -- has chickened out of a run.

There is also a feeling even among many Democrats that the Democratic party should not control both the legislative and executive branches.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »

Didn't she also veto an death penalty abolition bill recently?

She said she would veto the bill if it passed, but it failed by a wide margin, 89-60 in the lower house, IIRC.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

So do you think Rell can hit 65% re-election mark? Even 70% against a no-name Democrat who is poorly funded?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »

There is also a feeling even among many Democrats that the Democratic party should not control both the legislative and executive branches.

If only people had felt the same way on the federal level....
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »

So do you think Rell can hit 65% re-election mark? Even 70% against a no-name Democrat who is poorly funded?

Rowland hit 65% against Barbara Kennelly in 1998, so Rell can probably do it.  I wouldn't expect more than that, and even 65% would be pretty tough, since there are lot of people who will vote for whoever the Democratic candidate is as a matter of principle, even if they like Rell.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »

Rowland received 62.90% to be annoyingly precise. Its on this website: http://www.uselectionatlas.org/GOVERNOR/index.html.

I guess Joe Lieberman will be running for re-election; Lieberman is popular amongst both Republicans and Democrats and in 1994 and 2000 garned margins above what Rowland received. In 2006, in what is likely to be a Democratic year, he could got 62%-68% I feel. That would affect Rell's chances of hitting Rowland's 62.90% (likely) or above and around Lieberman's (67% in 1994, 63% in 2000) (unlikely)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 03:40:07 PM »

Rowland received 62.90% to be annoyingly precise. Its on this website: http://www.uselectionatlas.org/GOVERNOR/index.html.

I guess Joe Lieberman will be running for re-election; Lieberman is popular amongst both Republicans and Democrats and in 1994 and 2000 garned margins above what Rowland received. In 2006, in what is likely to be a Democratic year, he could got 62%-68% I feel. That would affect Rell's chances of hitting Rowland's 62.90% (likely) or above and around Lieberman's (67% in 1994, 63% in 2000) (unlikely)

Thanks.  I was going by memory, and I thought that 1998 election was 65-35.  In that case, I doubt Rell will hit 65%.  Lieberman interestingly enough has his major opposition coming from the left due to his Iraq war stance.  That old blowhard Lowell Weicker is making noises about a rematch of their 1988 race, when conservatives voted for Lieberman and he defeated the incumbent Weicker.  That would be an interesting one.  In that case, even I would probably vote Democratic for that race.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »

If Rell gets 65% I'll eat my hat.

She will win but by under 10%.

Some of her fundraising statements will come back to bite her on the ass.

That said she is a moderate and not a partisan or at least has not shown herself to be.  And she keeps Conn from being a one party state which is why she has a solid chance to earn my vote.  I cant wait to see the campaign heat up. =)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »

If Rell gets 65% I'll eat my hat.

She will win but by under 10%.

Some of her fundraising statements will come back to bite her on the ass.

That said she is a moderate and not a partisan or at least has not shown herself to be.  And she keeps Conn from being a one party state which is why she has a solid chance to earn my vote.  I cant wait to see the campaign heat up. =)

You should probably tell that to the 77% of registered Connecticut voters who approve of her, including the 72% of Democrats.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 10:29:30 PM »

This is excellent news.  Connecticut will choose the best candidate and not mindlessly follow partisan affiliation.

Now that the Governor's race is looking good, we just need to get Weicker to run for Senator.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 10:37:49 PM »

You should probably tell that to the 77% of registered Connecticut voters who approve of her, including the 72% of Democrats.

Yeah and I'm one of the 72% of Connecticut Democrats who approve of the job she is doing.  But she really hasn't done anything other than be very vocal for campaign finance reform which may come back to bite her in the ass but otherwise let the legislature lead.  I do expect her to win unless she seriously blows it.  But it won't be a blow out.  55-45 at the worst.
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 04:01:33 PM »

55-45? No way. She'll at least reach 60%. All the big fish were scared off by her.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 07:17:59 PM »

55-45? No way. She'll at least reach 60%. All the big fish were scared off by her.

We'll see.  She wont be so untouchable as people believe.  There will be a lot of people who like her a lot because she reminds them of their grandmothers.  Unless Destefano and Malloy tear each other apart she won't pull 60%.

That said she has a 50% of earning my vote right now. =)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies