Why are Caldwell + Bastrop counties more GOP than the rest of the Austin MSA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:26:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why are Caldwell + Bastrop counties more GOP than the rest of the Austin MSA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Caldwell + Bastrop counties more GOP than the rest of the Austin MSA?  (Read 401 times)
krb08
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »

These counties were previously less red than Hays and Williamson as recently as the 2004 election. But as those counties have gotten bluer and bluer, Caldwell and Bastrop have stayed where they've always been. Why are they consistently Republican and not getting bluer while the others are, despite being more favorable to the Dems as recently as 15 years ago?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »

Was a time not too long ago when Southern suburbs were more GOP than Southern rurals; Austin MSA being no exception.
krb08
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »

Was a time not too long ago when Southern suburbs were more GOP than Southern rurals; Austin MSA being no exception.

Are Caldwell and Bastrop rural though? Honest question, I don't know anything about them. They're in the Austin MSA so I assumed they're more suburban.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 06:09:19 PM »

Are Caldwell and Bastrop rural though? Honest question, I don't know anything about them. They're in the Austin MSA so I assumed they're more suburban.

Caldwell is pretty Rural, Bastrop a little more of a hybrid.  What matters is college education.  Williamson 40% Hays 37% Bastrop 20% Caldwell 14%.
krb08
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:21:56 PM »

Caldwell is pretty Rural, Bastrop a little more of a hybrid.  What matters is college education.  Williamson 40% Hays 37% Bastrop 20% Caldwell 14%.

That helps explain it, thanks. It was always weird to me they were more Democratic than Williamson County as recently as the 2012 election.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_35_in_Texas

Pretty simple lol.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »

Yup as recently as 12. Obviously now Hays is all but Safe D and Williamson is like Lean to Tilt R.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies