How did your ancestors vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How did your ancestors vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How did your ancestors vote?  (Read 4621 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »

My dad's side is Canadian and as Jews they only vote Liberal; my grandmother liked John Tory, but she still voted Liberal. Past my grandparents I have no clue. My Canadian side of the family is quite apathetic.

My mom's side is Catholic/Asian from Hawaii. Basically Dems. My grandpa is from Cincinnati but he's Chinese and was a physics professor. My grandma is a Japanese immigrant. Stereotypical Democrats. The rest of my family is all Democratic because they are all Catholic.

Further down the line my ancestors had no rights to vote, coming from Russia, Poland, and Asia.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »

My dad's side of the family has always been reliably Democratic; same on my mom's side; my grandfather, who has voted in every election since 1944, claims to have voted for 1 Republicans: John Warner, when he was unopposed in 2002.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Unionist.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

Mom's Side:
My Mom was a Democrat ever since she immigrated to America. Her brothers in laws, were all members of the PRI in Mexico and some were activists for the party.

Dad's Side: All Democrats, except for a Great Uncle, and a Aunt.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »

My maternal grandparents were upper middle class Republicans in an era when the suburbs were rock-solid Republican. My paternal grandfather was a military Republican, though my paternal grandmother appears to have had some liberal leanings and apparently voted for Gore in 2000, her last election. (This was well after my grandfather's death, however, and I suspect she followed his lead while he was still alive.)

My maternal grandmother's family was very aristocratic and therefore almost certainly Republican. My maternal grandfather's family were working-class Irish immigrants who therefore probably voted by machine in New York City, probably Democratic. My paternal grandmother's family were exiles from the South in California (my great-grandmother the daughter of Alabaman aristocrats and my great-grandfather the son of poor farmers in the area), so they were probably Democrats, though I can't say with any degree of certainty. My paternal grandfather's family I know little about, but they were working class and probably enamored of FDR.

More closely, my parents are very partisan Democrats who were shocked at my pronouncement that I'd vote for McCain over Clinton. (My mother supports Clinton and my father, Edwards.)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 05:30:32 AM »

Whig then Republican on my paternal grandmother's side.  She and my father were Democrats.  My father voted for Jesse Jackson in 1988.  Hated Reagan.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 05:35:56 AM »

This is simple. Dad's side, workers from western Sweden, all social democrats (though relatively conservative ones). Mum's side, upper class from central Sweden, all conservatives.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies