Opinion of Pope Francis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Pope Francis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: its your choose
FF

Antipope Bergogli-NO

He's creating confusion and needs to provide clarity

TRADITION, FAMILY, PROPERTY

Cardinal Burke

Cardinal Marx

TO CHANGE THE CHURCH (and it's a good thing)

TO CHANGE THE CHURCH (and it's a bad thing)

Pachamama

HP

Protestant (either you are or you think he is)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope Francis  (Read 2052 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:18:07 AM »

Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:20:26 AM »

PACHAMAMA Purple heart
Georg Ebner
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 05:28:22 AM »

Finally only those exist, who take the offer of the snake ("AntiChristians"); and those, who reject the offer of the snake ("Christians").

And so we have on the one hand Pope Francis and on the other hand ex grege NIETZSCHE, who called Himself "AntiChrist". No doubt, that HE in HIS endless mercy will have given to both after death, what they wanted to get. No doubt, who of these two has deserved to live and who should have been abortioned by his mother (in order to get into the Limbus).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 06:30:57 AM »

Guilty of 'moderate heroism'. But also apparent with the internal plots against him, that whoever follows him is likely to be a complete ghoul.

The future of the Church is ultra conservative and reactionary. Enjoy this brief respite.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »

Guilty of 'moderate heroism'. But also apparent with the internal plots against him, that whoever follows him is likely to be a complete ghoul.

The future of the Church is ultra conservative and reactionary. Enjoy this brief respite.

He's already appointed a majority of the Cardinals who will elect his successor.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2019, 01:49:31 PM by Chosen One Giuseppe Conte »

He's already appointed a majority of the Cardinals who will elect his successor.

It's worth being concerned--very much so--that the pendulum will swing back on LGBT issues/women's status in Church governance structures/etc. once the Catholic center of gravity within the Global South shifts from Latin America to Africa. But the Africans are largely united behind Francis on things like economics, the environment, ecumenism, etc. It's probable that the future of European and North American Catholicism is on those subjects bound to be well to the right of the worldwide baseline. Real fun.

ETA: What I'm concerned about in the moment, rather than for the future, is the personality-driven sorting of politically engaged Catholics into "pro" or "anti" the current Pope. I don't think this is a healthy mindset, and I'm saying this as someone who writes for a pro-Francis website.
Basil
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 1.13

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »

115 cardinals participated in the 2013 conclave. Of these, 48 were created cardinal by St. John Paul II and the other 67 by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. Nevertheless, they still elected Pope Francis. The pope who appoints the cardinal seems to have little bearing on how they will vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »

It's worth being concerned--very much so--that the pendulum will swing back on LGBT issues/women's status in Church governance structures/etc. once the Catholic center of gravity within the Global South shifts from Latin America to Africa. But the Africans are largely united behind Francis on things like economics, the environment, ecumenism, etc. It's probable that the future of European and North American Catholicism is on those subjects bound to be well to the right of the worldwide baseline. Real fun.

ETA: What I'm concerned about in the moment, rather than for the future, is the personality-driven sorting of politically engaged Catholics into "pro" or "anti" the current Pope. I don't think this is a healthy mindset, and I'm saying this as someone who writes for a pro-Francis website.

It's worth remembering that American Catholicism is also becoming less and less White. It's going to be hard for AmCon-style Catholicism to maintain its cultural pull once the vast majority of Catholics are Hispanic.

Agreed entirely otherwise.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »

Yo, where's my Protestant option at?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »

Added.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 11:57:10 PM »

I want there to be a Cajun Pope.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 12:08:26 AM »

James Carville is a male Catholic over the age of sixteen so he's eligible, although he'd have to leave Mary Matalin first.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »

I used to think the hate he got was overblown, but the recent Pan-Amazon Synod imbroglio has convinced me that it is completely deserved. I voted "Pachamama".
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »

Obligatory "not a Catholic" (I'm Jewish), but he's honestly the biggest FF that a Pope could possibly be.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »

I used to think the hate he got was overblown, but the recent Pan-Amazon Synod imbroglio has convinced me that it is completely deserved. I voted "Pachamama".

I understand why that would be, but speaking for myself, the Pan-Amazon Synod actually solidified me in my conviction that the haters are looking for any and every excuse to lambast him, regardless of whether it's semi-reasonable (the Pachamama stuff, for my take on which see one of my posts on the first page of the "Haunting message from indigenous Amazonian" thread) or obvious BS (the idea that the synod was somehow "communist"). I voted "Pachamama" too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »

I understand why that would be, but speaking for myself, the Pan-Amazon Synod actually solidified me in my conviction that the haters are looking for any and every excuse to lambast him, regardless of whether it's semi-reasonable (the Pachamama stuff, for my take on which see one of my posts on the first page of the "Haunting message from indigenous Amazonian" thread) or obvious BS (the idea that the synod was somehow "communist"). I voted "Pachamama" too.

Is that the post where you said that he was told they were representations of the Virgin Mary? If he actually bought that as an explanation, then I don't really see how he is fit to be pontiff. A leader in the faith needs to be capable of discerning the true faith from idolatry. I try to limit the extent to which I comment on Catholic matters since I am not one, but stuff like this reifies why I am not one.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »

Is that the post where you said that he was told they were representations of the Virgin Mary? If he actually bought that as an explanation, then I don't really see how he is fit to be pontiff. A leader in the faith needs to be capable of discerning the true faith from idolatry. I try to limit the extent to which I comment on Catholic matters since I am not one, but stuff like this reifies why I am not one.

Okay, I'll bite--what exactly about the statues makes them unacceptable as representations of the Virgin Mary, keeping in mind that Catholic Marian iconography and Eastern Orthodox Marian iconography are not the same?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

The best Pope of my lifetime.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

Well, the simple-minded Catholics hate him, but the intelligent ones simply despise His Holeness as an intellectual and spiritual nothing, too stupid&inhonest for admitting to his sheeps, that he is worshipping mankind - which is obviously the antiChrist - instead of GOD.
I personally have no problem to abortion him after death without any hot hate, only with cold contempt.

Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »

Well, the simple-minded Catholics hate him, but the intelligent ones simply despise His Holeness

...uh, okay?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »

Okay, I'll bite--what exactly about the statues makes them unacceptable as representations of the Virgin Mary, keeping in mind that Catholic Marian iconography and Eastern Orthodox Marian iconography are not the same?

Iconography of the Virgin Mary presents her as dressed in a distinctly conservative fashion, which itself carries important theological reasons, as well as the symbolism of the choice of dress. I get there are variations in these representations of her, but I am curious to know if there are genuine icons where she is just completely naked.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »

He's on the:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKggnBh2Mdw
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »

Massive FF obviously. I agree with almost all his decisions.

The fact that the rightwing US medias are so much against him solidifies even more my approval of him.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »

Iconography of the Virgin Mary presents her as dressed in a distinctly conservative fashion, which itself carries important theological reasons, as well as the symbolism of the choice of dress. I get there are variations in these representations of her, but I am curious to know if there are genuine icons where she is just completely naked.

This is a point that deserves more consideration than many of Francis's defenders have given it so far. Do you mind if I get back to you on this?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »

This is a point that deserves more consideration than many of Francis's defenders have given it so far. Do you mind if I get back to you on this?

Actually you have to respond right now or the thread will self-destruct.

Seriously though, take as long as you like. I don't mind.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies