5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:02:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread  (Read 828 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »
« edited: October 28, 2019, 10:18:14 PM by Chancellor S019 »

Any and all drafted legislation intended for consideration in the Council of Lincoln must be posted in this thread. You do not need to be a Councilor to post your bill; however, it is required by law that all legislation be sponsored by a sitting Councilor before it can be discussed and, presumably, voted upon.

It is recommended you check the Lincoln Statute to ensure the item has not been previously addressed.

Finally, this is strictly an introduction thread. No debating or voting is to occur here under any circumstances. Commentary or discussion on bills prior to their formal introduction on the floor and all such posts should be posted in the thread linked below. Each bill requires its own thread which shall be posted by the Speaker in conjunction with and adherence to the Lincoln Constitution and the Council Standing Orders.

Discussion thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=342011.0
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:39:56 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2019, 09:19:49 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

Uniform Election Time Amendment

I. To allow for consistency in our election procedures and times, and to bring them to the same standards as federal elections, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:

Quote from: Lincoln Constitution, Article 5.7
Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the third Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November.) Standard Time. Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

II. This Amendment takes effect after ratification by the people of Lincoln as pursuant to Article VI of the Lincoln Constitution.

Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment

Section I. The Amendment
1. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

Section 2. Movement of Legislation to the Floor
E. After any election for the Council, all legislation slots shall be emptied and all pending legislation shall be considered automatically tabled.

Reintroducing these because they didn't pass before the adjournment last council. Drafted with Peanut, can someone please sponsor them (again) so they can get to the floor.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »

Lincoln Cabinet and Elections Reform Amendment

Article II, Section 7 of the Lincoln Constitution is hereby repealed.

Article III, Section 1 is hereby amended to read:

1. The people of the Region of Lincoln may initiate the recall of any officer of this Region, except the Associate Justice of the Circuit Court, the Minister of Regional Elections or the Chancellor or ministers of the Cabinet, from that office — though they may still be recalled in their capacities as councilors - by delivering to the Minister of Regional Elections a petition stating the reason for recall and signed by one tenth of the total population of the Region. The Minister of Regional Elections shall then open the voting booth, according to the rules and regulations for elections set forth in this Constitution; but if the officer to be recalled is the Minister of Regional Elections in their capacity as a councilor, then the Speaker of the Council shall open the voting booth. The ballot question shall be, “Shall [A.B.] be recalled from the office of [name of the office held]?” A vote of “YES” shall be considered a vote for recall; a vote of “NO” shall be considered a vote against recall. Abstentions will not affect the results. Recalled officers shall forfeit their offices immediately.

Article V, Section 3 is hereby amended to read:

3. All elections and referendums of this Region shall be administered by the Minister of Regional Elections. The Minister of Regional Elections shall be appointed by the Chancellor, shall serve at the pleasure of the chancellor, and may be impeached and removed from office by a vote of two-thirds of the Council. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections is unable to execute this duty, the Speaker of the Council Governor shall administer the election. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections and Governor are both unable to execute this duty, the Speaker of the Council shall administer the election.

Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment

Section I. The Amendment
1. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

E. After any election for the Council, all legislation slots shall be emptied and all pending legislation shall be considered automatically tabled.

Reintroducing these because they didn't pass before the adjournment last council. Drafted with Peanut, can someone please sponsor them (again) so they can get to the floor.

I will sponsor this
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »

I introduce the following
Amendment to the Standing Orders

Section 2.B. shall be amended as follows

i. In Councils with 5 Councillors or less; there may be up to 7 threads about legislation. 5 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 2 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

ii. In Councils with 6 or 7 Councillors; there may be up to 9 threads about legislation. 6 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 3 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

iii. In Councils with 8 or more Councillors; there may be up to 11 threads about legislation. 7 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 4 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

iv. In cases where there is no opposition all available slots allocated for that Council shall be slots of the government
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »

I introduce the following:

ACT TO ESTABLISH A LIVING WAGE

A. HOURLY WAGE

I. The hourly wage in Lincoln shall be no less than $12 an hour
II. Any work over 8 hours on a given day shall count as overtime hours
III. Any overtime pay shall be an hourly amount of time and a half or at least $18

B. IMPLEMENTATION

II. This bill will take effect one week after being signed by the Governor
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »

I introduce the following:

LINCOLN CLIMATE CHANGE CONTROL ACT OF 2019

A. OFFSHORE DRILLING BAN
I. Lincoln shall hereby issue an immediate ban on any offshore drilling within 10 miles of the coast of Lincoln or of any land that belongs to Lincoln
II. Any company in violation of this policy will pay a fine of no less than $10 million

B. MORATORIUM ON FRACKING

I. A moratorium, which shall be effective immediately after the implementation of the bill, shall be established on all fracking in the entire region of Lincoln.
II. This moratorium shall last 3 years, after which it will be determined, whether or not it should be lifted. A two-thirds majority shall be required to lift the moratorium.
III. Any company in violation of this policy shall pay a fine of no less than $10 million
IV. Companies in violation, that engage in offshore drilling, shall pay this fine and the one in Sec A.II.

C. PHASING OUT FOSSIL FUELS

I. The phasing out of petroleum drilling shall occur gradually over a 5 year period
II. Any company drilling petroleum after this deadline will be charged a fine of no less than $15 million.
III. Any company who stops drilling at least 2 years before the deadline, shall receive a 2% tax credit on all taxes for the next year
IV. The phasing out of coal shall occur over a 3 year period
V. Any coal mines still in operation after the 3 year period, will result in a fine to the mine’s owner of no less than $20 million.
VI. Companies shall receive a tax credit of 5% on next years’ taxes if they close their mines within 6 months of the implementation of this bill
VII. Manufacturing of the nitrous oxide engine shall be banned, effective immediately after the implementation of this bill.
VIII. Any company who still manufactures the engine after this time period, will be fined a fine of no less than $10 million.

D. CAPS ON EMISSIONS

I. A regional agency called the Lincoln Department of Environmental Protection shall be created following the passage of this bill
II. This agency shall set caps on emissions for the following gases: carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide
III. Any company who violates the cap will be fined $12 million for each percent that they are over the limit
IV. The cap should be decreased by 5% each year

E. IMPLEMENTATION

I. This law shall take effect two weeks after being signed by the governor
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »

Lincoln Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: NAME

1. This bill may be cited as the Lincoln Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.
2. This bill may, in short, be cited as the Lincoln Assault Weapon Ban Act.

SECTION II: ASSAULT WEAPON BAN

1. There shall be a regiowide ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of assualt weapons, these weapons include semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns, which can accept detachable magazines, as well as revolving cylindrical shotguns.

2. Any weapon that is purchased, sold, or possessed may not have a folding or collapsible stock, a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel, a grenade launcher, or a barrel shroud.

SECTION III: AUTOMATIC WEAPON BAN

1. There shall be a ban on the purchasing, sale, or possession of fully automatic weapons, also known as Title II weapons under the National Firearms Act.

SECTION IV: LEGAL LIABILITIES FOR GUN MANUFACTURERS

1. Gun manufacturers may be sued if their weapons are used in violent crimes, by family members, close friends, and/or legal counsel of family members or close friends of gun violence victims.

2. Manufacturers may be sued for up to $15 million.

3. These cases will be be submitted to, heard, and ruled on by Lincoln's regional Justice.

SECTION V: GUN TAX

1. There shall be a 15% additional tax imposed on all shotguns

2. There shall be a 30% additional tax imposed on all handguns and pistols

3. There shall be a 50% additional tax imposed on all other firearms, that are legal to purchase, under this bill.

SECTION VI: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect, one week after being signed by the Governor.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 12:01:03 AM »

Lincoln Gun Licensing Act of 2019

SECTION I:  Reinstating the Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018

1. The Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 is hereby reinstated with the following provisions:

Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018

Section 1: Gun Licensing

i. A license shall be required to purchase and carry a firearm in the region of Lincoln.
ii. This license shall be required to be renewed every two three years.
iii. There shall be three categories of gun licenses: Class A for handguns, Class B for rifles and shotguns, and Class C for assault rifles or other semi-automatic weapons.
iv. To obtain a Class A license, a citizen must not have committed a violent crime, must have proof of passing a handgun training class and safety exam at a government approved facility, and must be at least 18 years of age.
v. To obtain a Class B license, a citizen must meet Class A requirements as well as have not committed a felony, except for those only regarding finance, have proof of passing a shotgun/rifle training class and safety exam class at a government approved facility, and pass a mental health test issued by a psychologist.
vi. To obtain a Class C license, a citizen must meet Class B requirements as well as having proof of a reasonable cause for having a Class C license, having proof of passing an assault weapon training and safety exam at a government approved facility, and be at least 21 years of age.
vii. The testing materials for the exams in the sections above shall be distributed for free by the government of Lincoln through the internet
viii. The tests for the exams in the sections above shall be conducted at any facility that performs tests for driver's licenses. The government of Lincoln shall not charge any fees for performing this exam

vii. 50% of the cost of licenses is to be covered by the applicant, the remaining 50% is to be covered by the government of Lincoln.

Section 2: Bans
i. Bump stocks and suppressors shall also be considered prohibited to operate, purchase, sell, or possess by private citizens. Magazines with more then 10 rounds of ammunition are also prohibited.
ii. Any individual that possess, uses, sells or purchases any of the above devices may face a fine not exceeding $100,000 and jail sentence not exceeding 3 years for all convictions made at a single point in time.
iii. Any individual who made a specific threat against a specific a specific citizen, business or institution in Lincoln within the last 60 days from the time they attempt to squire a firearm in Lincoln.

Section 3: Firearm Gifting and Sale Liability
i. Any individual residing in Lincoln that gifts or sells a firearm to any individual that uses it to commit a violent crime may be held both civilly and criminally liable if it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that they knew or ought to have known it was illegal for the individual to own or operate the firearm or that it would be used in a crime.

Section 4: Public School Security
i. All visitors as defined as a non-current student or faculty to a public school in Lincoln is must have any bags searched by a staff member situated at the front door before they are allowed to enter the School.

Section 5: Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing
i. The Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing (BFSL) is to be established.
ii. The BFSL shall have an NPC director that is appointed by the governor. The director is to handle hiring all other personnel. The governor can dissolve and reform the BFSL if deemed necessary.
iii. The BFSL is to oversee all proceedings of obtaining a firearms license and collect fines incurred from violations of gun laws.
iv. Collected fines are to be sent to a fund which is to be used to cover the government costs of licensing.

Section 6: Implementation

i. Sections 1 and 5 shall go into effect on January 1st, 2019.
ii. Sections 2, 3, and 4 shall go into effect immediately upon passage.

SECTION II: Implementation
1. This bill shall go into effect 1 month after passage.
2. Current gun owners shall be given a 2 year transition period where they can be allowed to keep and use their guns without a license.

This is basically an old licensing proposal from a past Council, that I think would be a good bill to debate and try to pass
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 12:13:41 AM »

Lincoln Really Cares about Climate Change Act

I. SUBSIDIES TO FOSSIL FUELS

1. The government of Lincoln shall immediately terminate any subsidies that it gives to the fossil fuel industry

II. SUBSIDIES FOR SOLAR POWER

1. The government of Lincoln shall create a pilot program for granting subsidies to the solar industry
2. This pilot program shall last for a duration after 10 years, at which point the Council may choose to continue or discontinue it
3. Each year, that this program is effect, the government of Lincoln shall give a subsidy of $20 million to the solar industry

III. SUBSIDIES FOR WIND POWER

1. The government of Lincoln shall create a pilot program for granting subsidies to the wind industry
2. This pilot program shall last for a duration after 10 years, at which point the Council may choose to continue or discontinue it
3. Each year, that this program is effect, the government of Lincoln shall give a subsidy of $15 million to the wind industry

IV. SUBSIDES FOR HYDROELECTRIC POWER

1. The government of Lincoln shall create a pilot program for granting subsidies to the hydroelectric industry
3. Each year, that this program is effect, the government of Lincoln shall give a subsidy of $10 million to the hydroelectric industry

V. IMPLEMENTATION

Sections II-IV of this legislation will take effect upon the passage of the next budget, Section I will take effect immediately after being signed by the governor.

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2019, 08:44:13 PM by Ninja0428 »

Student Privacy Act

To protect basic privacy rights for students in Lincoln
1. "School" shall be defined as any institution for education of students K-12 legally recognised by the Region of Lincoln, including public and private institutions.
2. All bathroom stalls in schools, except for urinals in male bathrooms, shall have a locking door which fully obfuscates any persons inside the stall. No device for recording photographs or videos shall be installed in bathrooms.
3. Students in schools shall not be subject to random searches of personal items without reasonable cause which would not otherwise be legally permissible. No student shall be asked to remove articles of clothing for a search.
4. No school shall search data on personal electronic devices, which are not owned by the government or institution, except for by court order, nor shall students be disciplined for information uploaded to the internet which is not otherwise illegal, nor shall schools attempt to bypass security measures which renders said data otherwise inaccessible.
5. No student shall be disciplined, humiliated, or otherwise harmed by schools for personal beliefs, This shall not be construed as to prevent debate.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »

Introducing the following:

Reinstating Affirmative Action in Lincoln

I. Repeal of the Ban

A. LC 2.18 is repealed, effective immediately

II. Implementation

A. This law shall take effect two weeks after being signed by the governor.

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »

AN ACT
to make higher education an even playing field

Section 1 (Title & definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Higher Education Dehelmintization Act." It may be cited as "HEDA."
ii. As it appears in this legislation, "third party assessment" refers to any standardized test developed other than by the Lincoln Department of Education or the state or district where the student is enrolled.
iii. As it appears in this legislation, "third party program" refers to any course, program, or curriculum developed other than by the Lincoln Department of Education or the state, district, or public college or university where the student is or was enrolled, not including volunteer, professional, or military service, for which the student is assessed a fee.

Section 2 (Purgation)
i. No public college or university shall accept or consider the results of a third party assessment as supplementary material to an application for admission.
ii. No public college or university shall accept for credit the results of a third party assessment or other proof of completion of a third party program.
iii. No high school funded in whole or in part by the Region of Lincoln shall administer any third party assessment, nor offer any third party program.

Section 3 (Implementation)
i. §2(i, iii) of this Act shall take effect with the 2021-2022 academic year.
ii. §2(ii) of this Act shall take effect with the 2024-2025 academic year.

Introducing this on behalf of Representative-elect Tack.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 01:42:01 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2019, 07:11:33 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

AN ACT
to grant the Governor veto powers

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Gubernatorial Veto Powers Act."

Section 2 (Amendment to the Council Standing Orders)
i. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

G. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor's signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or referendumveto override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (c) the Chancellor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote

Section 3. Legislative Debates and Voting
I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendumvetoed by the Governor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendumveto within 72 hours for the Governor's move to a referendumveto being announced. A veto override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier with a two-thirds majority required for the veto to be overriden. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Section 3 (Gubernatorial Veto Powers Amendment)
i. To allow for greater powers to be granted to the Governor, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:
Article I. The Legislative Power
6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may referveto the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the referenceveto of the governor by a two-thirds majority vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

Article II. The Executive Power
3. The governor shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of state of the Region; to command the militia in times of war; to issue pardons and reprieves for crimes committed under the laws of this Region, which shall be permanent upon their issuance, though he shall have no power to pardon himself; to appoint, in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, the Associate Justice for this Region; and to approve, or send to referendumveto, all acts passed by the Council.

Section 4 (Implementation)
i. §3 shall take effect upon its ratification by the people, according to the procedure prescribed by the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.
ii. §2 shall take effect upon the ratification of section §3 in accordance with the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.

Amendment drafted jointly with Governor Jimmy, it replaces the complex referendum override system with a simple Governor's Veto. It would be appreciated by me and the Governor if a Councillor could sponsor.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 02:06:12 AM »

Introducing this:

PSOL's National Guard Reorganization and Modernization act

Preamble

Provided with the fact of repeated intrusions, armed insurrections, unpredictable weather patterns, and melodrama from foreign actors acted against this fine Region of Lincoln, it is safe to say that Lincoln needs to be at an equal footing to deal with threats on its sovereignty.

This legislation seeks to protect Lincoln residents by having a multirole organization to deal with events both occurring simultaneously and in need of an agile response.

Section I: Naming

1. This act shall be named the National Guard Reorganization and Modernization Act

Section II: Reorganization of Priorities
1. The National guard shall be bounded by several preconditions for deployment in Lincoln
(a) As an auxiliary force for first responders in the wake of a large scale incident
   I. Disruption of the peace by armed hostile actors
       1. May not be used in the face of protests with a lack of a heavily armed hostile actor
            (a) Heavily-armed refers to documented widespread use of firearms and explosives
   II. A lack of ability for local first responders to deal with a natural disaster
       (a) May then be allowed to intervene for the purposes of
             1. Medical assistance
             2. Preserving peace
             3. Infrastructure rebuilding
             4. Sortition of essential needs
   III. Such a severity in need of a possible deployment shall be left to the decision of the Governors personal discretion

Section III: Reorganization
1. The National Guard of Lincoln shall be organized in the following way
(a) The leading position of the force, the Chief, shall be appointed by the governor from
   I. A minimum set requirement of being
       1. Living in Lincoln as a primary resident more than 10 years
       2. Having acquired the minimum rank of an officer for 5+ years
       3. Having no record of an act of
            I. Nepotism
            II. Embezzlement

(b) The National Guard of Lincoln shall be divided into Models resembling the official functions of the Atlasian Armed Forces
     I. An Army
     II. An Airforce
     III. A regional Coast Guard
     IV. An Engineer Corps
     V. A Medical Corps
(c) The standards of the National Guard shall be met by following the current standards of the Atlasian Armed forces the start of the fiscal year
(d) The budget for this National Guard shall amass to 0.5% more the cumulative budget of the other regions budget to a National Guard or equivalent force
Section IV: Nongovernmental Revenue Procurement

1. The National Guard will have a holiday every July 1st as a regional spectacle
(a) Such an event will occur where of the regional Government’s choosing
(b) Will cooperate with local businesses to create a festive environment
(c) there will be a designated area open to the public only after the purchase of tickets
2. Retired or damaged stock shall be sold for the purposes of civilian usage after modifications done to the equipment and assets to remove military-grade qualitative features so as to follow regional law

section V: implementation
1. This bill shall be made into law at January 1st, 2020

Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »

Can a member of Council sponsor this?

AN ACT
to abolish the office of Chancellor

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Chancellorship Abolition Act."

i. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

B. The number of threads about legislation that may be opened simultaneously shall be as follows. In Councils with 3 Councillors there may be up to 5 threads about legislation, in Councils with 5 Councillors there may be up to 7 threads about legislation, and in Councils with 7 Councillors there may be up to 9 threads about legislation
i. In Councils with 5 Councillors or less; there may be up to 7 threads about legislation. 5 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 2 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

ii. In Councils with 6 or 7 Councillors; there may be up to 9 threads about legislation. 6 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 3 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

iii. In Councils with 8 or more Councillors; there may be up to 11 threads about legislation. 7 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the government and 4 threads shall be reserved for legislation introduced or sponsored by members of the opposition.

C. The Speaker shall move government and opposition legislation to these threads in the order in which it was introduced in the Legislation Introduction Thread. If a government sponsor has 3 or more pieces of legislation in the floor, or an opposition sponsor has 2 or more pieces of legislation in the floor, legislation from other government or opposition sponsors who do not shall take priority instead.

D. Each piece of legislation on the floor shall receive its own thread. Threads shall be titled as follows:

L 1.1: The BLANK Act, where L acknowledges the legislation is in the Council of Lincoln, 1 indicating that the legislation is in the first meeting of the Council of Lincoln, 1 indicating that the legislation was the first piece of legislation introduced in the Legislation Introduction Thread, and BLANK being replaced with the name of the piece of legislation.

E. If a change in government or in a bill's sponsorship implies that there are more bills than there are slots available for the government or the opposition, the speaker may open temporary extra slots for these pieces of legislation. These slots shall be removed once a permanent slot is opened (at which point the bill in the temporary slot shall moved to the opened permanent slot), or the bill is removed from the floor by the means described in Section 2.F.

F. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor's signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or referendum override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (d) the Chancellorany Councillor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote.

D. After the conclusion of the first 72 hours for debate, any Councillor or the Chancellor may call for a vote on said legislation. The Speaker shall open a vote if neither anotherno other Councillor nor the Chancellor objects within 24 hours of the call for a vote. If a Councillor objects to the motion within 24 hours, a vote shall be held on whether or not to proceed to a final vote, with a two-thirds majority required for the objection to be overruled if the legislation has been on the floor for less than 240 hours; and a simple majority required if the legislation has been on the floor for more than 240 hours.

E. After the conclusion of the first 72 hours for debate, the Chancellor or the Leader of the Oppositionany Councillor may move for cloture. Upon the concurrence of two-thirds of the membership, the Council shall end debate and the Speaker immediately declare a vote on the affected legislation. A motion for cloture shall overrule any ammendments presented and any ongoing debates, but any votes which are already open shall stay open; with the motion for cloture being opened inmediately after said open vote is closed.

F. At the motion of the Chancellorany Councillor, the Council may waive the 72 hour requirement by unanimous consent. Consent shall be granted should no Member object to the motion of the Chancellor within 24 hours of its introduction.

H. Budget bills shall be considered a meaningful vote of confidence in the Government.

I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendum by the Governor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendum within 72 hours for the Governor's move to a referendum being announced. An override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Section 5 is to be repealed in its entirety.

Section 6. Role of Speaker
B. At the beginning of each term of the Council, and at any time when the office is vacant, the secondfirst order of business of the Council shall be to elect the Speaker. after the election of the Chancellor. Prior to the election of a Speaker, the Chancellor may serve as Acting Speaker for the purposes of electing a Speaker only. If there is not a Speaker, The Governor mayshall preside over the election of the ChancellorSpeaker. If the Governor is unavailable for any reason, the most senior Councillor shall preside.

C. The Chancellor shall introduce a piece of legislation to nominate a candidate for Speaker, who will then face a vote before the Council, requiring a majority support to assume office.
C. The Governor shall announce a twenty-four hour period for nominations to the Speakership. Any Councillor may then nominate themselves for the office of Speaker. At the conclusion of the period for nominations, the Governor shall declare a vote of the Council. Voting shall continue until a majority has been reached, or forty-eight hours has elapsed, whichever comes first.

D. The ChancellorGovernor shall certify the results following the election, and the Speaker shall immediately assume office.

E. The Council may, at any time, remove the Speaker by making introducing repeal legislation to the introductory legislation of Section V, Part C a Councillor introducing a Motion of No Confidence in the Speaker. The motion shall take precedence over all other motions and bills before the Council, and shall be conducted in the manner outlined in the section entitled Legislative Debates and Voting. The ChancellorGovernor will designate a Councillor to preside in the place of the Speaker. If the Motion of No Confidence passes then a new Speaker must be elected in accordance with Section 6 of the Standing Orders.

Section 3 (Chancellorship Abolition Amendment)
i. To allow for greater powers to be granted to the Governor, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:
4. The Council shall have the power to determine its own methods of proceedings, to elect its Speaker and other officers, and to judge the qualifications of its members. No councilor shall serve simultaneously as Speaker and as Chancellor.

8. Whenever a vacancy should occur in the composition of the Council, a new councilor shall be chosen by means of a by-election to fill the vacated seat. A seat on the council shall be considered vacated upon the resignation, recall, impeachment of the previous occupant; failure of the elected councilor to swear in within one week of the opening of the legislative session; failure of the councilor to vote on six consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence.

9. In the event of a tie in a vote of the Council, the governor shall have the power to break the tie.

10. The Council, on the first day after the governor’s appointment of a chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed chancellor shall be dismissed and the governor shall advance the appointment of a new chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln

11. While no chancellor holds office who shall have earned the confidence of the Council, the Council may not conduct any business beyond conducting votes on confidence or on emergency resolutions, as described in Section 13 of this Article.

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a majority of the membership of the Council voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for chancellor.

13. Legislation shall fall into three categories in the Council once proposed in the Legislation Proposal Thread: government legislation, opposition legislation, and emergency legislation. Government legislation, which is proposed by councilors in the Chancellor’s government, shall have no less than three more slots than opposition legislation, which is proposed by any councilor not in government. The ratio of government to opposition slots shall be determined by the Standing Orders of Council Procedure. Emergency legislation, which must receive a sufficient second and third in the Proposal Thread by councilors other than the proposer, and must be sanctioned as necessary of emergency action by either the Chancellor or the Governor, shall not be confined by any slot as described above. An emergency designation may be denied by three-fifths of the Council voting to deny the designation.

14. Early elections for the Council may be called by the governor as long as the snap election does not occur less than a month before a regular election if he determines that no government can be formed, following the failure of a confidence vote at the beginning of a new parliamentary term or the failure of any councilor to produce a government as described in Section 6 of Article II or following a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and failure of the successive confidence vote to produce a government. In addition, the Governor may call a snap election at the request of the Chancellor, be it that the snap election does not occur less than a month before or after a regularly scheduled election.

1. The executive powers and duties shall be divided betweenvested in the Governor of Lincoln. and the Chancellor of Lincoln, with the governor having the powers of the head of state and the chancellor the powers of the head of government.

4. The governor shall appoint a chancellor who he believes will have the confidence of the Council whenever a vacancy opens in the chancellorship by way of resignation, death, or whenever the Council shall pass a motion of no confidence in the government. Additionally, he shall appoint a chancellor who he believes will have the confidence of the Council following a general election.

5. The chancellor, who must be a member of the Council, shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of government of the Region; to lead the government, so long as he commands the confidence of the Council; and to administer the functions of the head of state as acting governor upon the death, impeachment, recall, or resignation of the governor, or whenever he should otherwise become unable to execute the duties of his office. The chancellor shall not forfeit his office upon ascending to the position of acting governor; but should the chancellor be elected governor in an ensuing by-election, he shall forfeit his offices in the Council, including the chancellery.

6. After the Council has been elected, the outgoing chancellor shall have the first right to form a government and seek appointment from the governor to reach a confidence vote. However, if the incumbent chancellor is not a sitting member of the new Council, the Council may suggest an alternative candidate for chancellor to the governor who it believes holds the confidence of the Council. If the governor has determined that a government cannot be formed, writs of election may be issued.

Article III. The People
1. The people of the Region of Lincoln may initiate the recall of any officer of this Region, except the Associate Justice of the Circuit Court or the Minister of Regional Elections or the Chancellor from that office-though they may still be recalled in their capacities as councilors—, by delivering to the Minister of Regional Elections a petition stating the reason for recall and signed by one tenth of the total population of the Region. The Minister of Regional Elections shall then open the voting booth, according to the rules and regulations for elections set forth in this Constitution; but if the officer to be recalled is the Minister of Regional Elections in their capacity as a councilor, then the Speaker of the Council shall open the voting booth. The ballot question shall be, “Shall [A.B.] be recalled from the office of [name of the office held]?” A vote of “YES” shall be considered a vote for recall; a vote of “NO” shall be considered a vote against recall. Abstentions will not affect the results. Recalled officers shall forfeit their offices immediately.

Article V. Elections
3. All elections and referendums of this Region shall be administered by the Minister of Regional Elections. The Minister of Regional Elections shall be appointed by the ChancellorGovernor, shall serve at the pleasure of the chancellorGovernor, and may be impeached and removed from office by a vote of two-thirds of the Council. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections is unable to execute this duty, the Governor shall administer the election. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections and Governor are both unable to execute this duty, the Speaker of the Council shall administer the election.

7. Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the third Friday following the creation of the vacancy. All by-elections for Council shall begin on the Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November.). Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

10. The terms of the elected governor and councilors shall begin at 12:00:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on the Tuesday following their election. Prior to assuming office, all officers shall swear the following oath: “I, [A.B.], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of [state office name] and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitutions of the Lincoln Region and the Republic of Atlasia.” Appointment of the chancellor by the governor may not be made before this time.

i. §3 shall take effect upon its ratification by the people, according to the procedure prescribed by the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.
ii. §2 shall take effect upon the ratification of section §3 in accordance with the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »

AN ACT
to grant the Governor veto powers

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Gubernatorial Veto Powers Act."

G. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor's signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or referendumveto override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (c) the Chancellor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote

I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendumvetoed by the Governor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendumveto within 72 hours for the Governor's move to a referendumveto being announced. A veto override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier with a two-thirds majority required for the veto to be overriden. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Section 3 (Gubernatorial Veto Powers Amendment)
6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may referveto the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the referenceveto of the governor by a two-thirds majority vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

3. The governor shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of state of the Region; to command the militia in times of war; to issue pardons and reprieves for crimes committed under the laws of this Region, which shall be permanent upon their issuance, though he shall have no power to pardon himself; to appoint, in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, the Associate Justice for this Region; and to approve, or send to referendumveto, all acts passed by the Council.

Amendment drafted jointly with Governor Jimmy, it replaces the complex referendum override system with a simple Governor's Veto. It would be appreciated by me and the Governor if a Councillor could sponsor.

Can a member of Council sponsor this?

AN ACT
to abolish the office of Chancellor

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Chancellorship Abolition Act."

B. The number of threads about legislation that may be opened simultaneously shall be as follows. In Councils with 3 Councillors there may be up to 5 threads about legislation, in Councils with 5 Councillors there may be up to 7 threads about legislation, and in Councils with 7 Councillors there may be up to 9 threads about legislation

C. The Speaker shall move government and opposition legislation to these threads in the order in which it was introduced in the Legislation Introduction Thread. If a government sponsor has 3 or more pieces of legislation in the floor, or an opposition sponsor has 2 or more pieces of legislation in the floor, legislation from other government or opposition sponsors who do not shall take priority instead.

D. Each piece of legislation on the floor shall receive its own thread. Threads shall be titled as follows:

L 1.1: The BLANK Act, where L acknowledges the legislation is in the Council of Lincoln, 1 indicating that the legislation is in the first meeting of the Council of Lincoln, 1 indicating that the legislation was the first piece of legislation introduced in the Legislation Introduction Thread, and BLANK being replaced with the name of the piece of legislation.

E. If a change in government or in a bill's sponsorship implies that there are more bills than there are slots available for the government or the opposition, the speaker may open temporary extra slots for these pieces of legislation. These slots shall be removed once a permanent slot is opened (at which point the bill in the temporary slot shall moved to the opened permanent slot), or the bill is removed from the floor by the means described in Section 2.F.

F. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor's signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or referendum override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (d) the Chancellorany Councillor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote.

D. After the conclusion of the first 72 hours for debate, any Councillor or the Chancellor may call for a vote on said legislation. The Speaker shall open a vote if neither anotherno other Councillor nor the Chancellor objects within 24 hours of the call for a vote. If a Councillor objects to the motion within 24 hours, a vote shall be held on whether or not to proceed to a final vote, with a two-thirds majority required for the objection to be overruled if the legislation has been on the floor for less than 240 hours; and a simple majority required if the legislation has been on the floor for more than 240 hours.

E. After the conclusion of the first 72 hours for debate, the Chancellor or the Leader of the Oppositionany Councillor may move for cloture. Upon the concurrence of two-thirds of the membership, the Council shall end debate and the Speaker immediately declare a vote on the affected legislation. A motion for cloture shall overrule any ammendments presented and any ongoing debates, but any votes which are already open shall stay open; with the motion for cloture being opened inmediately after said open vote is closed.

F. At the motion of the Chancellorany Councillor, the Council may waive the 72 hour requirement by unanimous consent. Consent shall be granted should no Member object to the motion of the Chancellor within 24 hours of its introduction.

H. Budget bills shall be considered a meaningful vote of confidence in the Government.

I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendum by the Governor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendum within 72 hours for the Governor's move to a referendum being announced. An override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Section 5 is to be repealed in its entirety.

B. At the beginning of each term of the Council, and at any time when the office is vacant, the secondfirst order of business of the Council shall be to elect the Speaker. after the election of the Chancellor. Prior to the election of a Speaker, the Chancellor may serve as Acting Speaker for the purposes of electing a Speaker only. If there is not a Speaker, The Governor mayshall preside over the election of the ChancellorSpeaker. If the Governor is unavailable for any reason, the most senior Councillor shall preside.

C. The Chancellor shall introduce a piece of legislation to nominate a candidate for Speaker, who will then face a vote before the Council, requiring a majority support to assume office.
C. The Governor shall announce a twenty-four hour period for nominations to the Speakership. Any Councillor may then nominate themselves for the office of Speaker. At the conclusion of the period for nominations, the Governor shall declare a vote of the Council. Voting shall continue until a majority has been reached, or forty-eight hours has elapsed, whichever comes first.

D. The ChancellorGovernor shall certify the results following the election, and the Speaker shall immediately assume office.

E. The Council may, at any time, remove the Speaker by making introducing repeal legislation to the introductory legislation of Section V, Part C a Councillor introducing a Motion of No Confidence in the Speaker. The motion shall take precedence over all other motions and bills before the Council, and shall be conducted in the manner outlined in the section entitled Legislative Debates and Voting. The ChancellorGovernor will designate a Councillor to preside in the place of the Speaker. If the Motion of No Confidence passes then a new Speaker must be elected in accordance with Section 6 of the Standing Orders.

Section 3 (Chancellorship Abolition Amendment)
4. The Council shall have the power to determine its own methods of proceedings, to elect its Speaker and other officers, and to judge the qualifications of its members. No councilor shall serve simultaneously as Speaker and as Chancellor.

8. Whenever a vacancy should occur in the composition of the Council, a new councilor shall be chosen by means of a by-election to fill the vacated seat. A seat on the council shall be considered vacated upon the resignation, recall, impeachment of the previous occupant; failure of the elected councilor to swear in within one week of the opening of the legislative session; failure of the councilor to vote on six consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence.

9. In the event of a tie in a vote of the Council, the governor shall have the power to break the tie.

10. The Council, on the first day after the governor’s appointment of a chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed chancellor shall be dismissed and the governor shall advance the appointment of a new chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln

11. While no chancellor holds office who shall have earned the confidence of the Council, the Council may not conduct any business beyond conducting votes on confidence or on emergency resolutions, as described in Section 13 of this Article.

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a majority of the membership of the Council voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for chancellor.

13. Legislation shall fall into three categories in the Council once proposed in the Legislation Proposal Thread: government legislation, opposition legislation, and emergency legislation. Government legislation, which is proposed by councilors in the Chancellor’s government, shall have no less than three more slots than opposition legislation, which is proposed by any councilor not in government. The ratio of government to opposition slots shall be determined by the Standing Orders of Council Procedure. Emergency legislation, which must receive a sufficient second and third in the Proposal Thread by councilors other than the proposer, and must be sanctioned as necessary of emergency action by either the Chancellor or the Governor, shall not be confined by any slot as described above. An emergency designation may be denied by three-fifths of the Council voting to deny the designation.

14. Early elections for the Council may be called by the governor as long as the snap election does not occur less than a month before a regular election if he determines that no government can be formed, following the failure of a confidence vote at the beginning of a new parliamentary term or the failure of any councilor to produce a government as described in Section 6 of Article II or following a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and failure of the successive confidence vote to produce a government. In addition, the Governor may call a snap election at the request of the Chancellor, be it that the snap election does not occur less than a month before or after a regularly scheduled election.

1. The executive powers and duties shall be divided betweenvested in the Governor of Lincoln. and the Chancellor of Lincoln, with the governor having the powers of the head of state and the chancellor the powers of the head of government.

4. The governor shall appoint a chancellor who he believes will have the confidence of the Council whenever a vacancy opens in the chancellorship by way of resignation, death, or whenever the Council shall pass a motion of no confidence in the government. Additionally, he shall appoint a chancellor who he believes will have the confidence of the Council following a general election.

5. The chancellor, who must be a member of the Council, shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of government of the Region; to lead the government, so long as he commands the confidence of the Council; and to administer the functions of the head of state as acting governor upon the death, impeachment, recall, or resignation of the governor, or whenever he should otherwise become unable to execute the duties of his office. The chancellor shall not forfeit his office upon ascending to the position of acting governor; but should the chancellor be elected governor in an ensuing by-election, he shall forfeit his offices in the Council, including the chancellery.

6. After the Council has been elected, the outgoing chancellor shall have the first right to form a government and seek appointment from the governor to reach a confidence vote. However, if the incumbent chancellor is not a sitting member of the new Council, the Council may suggest an alternative candidate for chancellor to the governor who it believes holds the confidence of the Council. If the governor has determined that a government cannot be formed, writs of election may be issued.

Article III. The People
1. The people of the Region of Lincoln may initiate the recall of any officer of this Region, except the Associate Justice of the Circuit Court or the Minister of Regional Elections or the Chancellor from that office-though they may still be recalled in their capacities as councilors—, by delivering to the Minister of Regional Elections a petition stating the reason for recall and signed by one tenth of the total population of the Region. The Minister of Regional Elections shall then open the voting booth, according to the rules and regulations for elections set forth in this Constitution; but if the officer to be recalled is the Minister of Regional Elections in their capacity as a councilor, then the Speaker of the Council shall open the voting booth. The ballot question shall be, “Shall [A.B.] be recalled from the office of [name of the office held]?” A vote of “YES” shall be considered a vote for recall; a vote of “NO” shall be considered a vote against recall. Abstentions will not affect the results. Recalled officers shall forfeit their offices immediately.

Article V. Elections
3. All elections and referendums of this Region shall be administered by the Minister of Regional Elections. The Minister of Regional Elections shall be appointed by the ChancellorGovernor, shall serve at the pleasure of the chancellorGovernor, and may be impeached and removed from office by a vote of two-thirds of the Council. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections is unable to execute this duty, the Governor shall administer the election. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections and Governor are both unable to execute this duty, the Speaker of the Council shall administer the election.

7. Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the third Friday following the creation of the vacancy. All by-elections for Council shall begin on the Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November.). Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

10. The terms of the elected governor and councilors shall begin at 12:00:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on the Tuesday following their election. Prior to assuming office, all officers shall swear the following oath: “I, [A.B.], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of [state office name] and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitutions of the Lincoln Region and the Republic of Atlasia.” Appointment of the chancellor by the governor may not be made before this time.

I will sponsor both of these bills.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 11:02:53 PM »

Looking for a sponsor:

Preventing Hate-based Intimidation by Police Officers Act

To provide training for police officers in order to prevent acts of hate-based intimidation.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Preventing Hate-based Intimidation by Police Officers Act.

Section 2. Definition

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context, the term “hate-based intimidation” shall mean a threat of physical injury, harm to property or other injury motivated by hatred toward an individual's or group of individuals' actual or perceived:
(1) race;
(2) color;
(3) religion;
(4) national origin;
(5) ancestry;
(6) sex;
(7) gender or gender identity;
(8) sexual orientation;
(9) intellectual disability;
(10) physical or sensory disability; or
(11) behavioral or mental health

Section 3. Training

(a) In general. -

There is hereby established a commission to be known as the "Police Hate-based Intimidation Prevention Commission", hereinafter referred to as the “commission”.

(b) Purpose. -

The commission shall develop and provide training on hate-based intimidation to police officers. The commission may also consult with relevant stakeholders in developing the training. The training shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) Identification of hate-based intimidation.
(2) Methods to address hate-based intimidation.
(3) Reporting of hate-based intimidation.
(4) Hate-based intimidation recordkeeping.

Section 4. Implementation

This Act shall take effect 60 days after passage.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 11:26:21 PM »

Looking for a sponsor:

To provide training for police officers in order to prevent acts of hate-based intimidation.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Preventing Hate-based Intimidation by Police Officers Act.

Section 2. Definition

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context, the term “hate-based intimidation” shall mean a threat of physical injury, harm to property or other injury motivated by hatred toward an individual's or group of individuals' actual or perceived:
(1) race;
(2) color;
(3) religion;
(4) national origin;
(5) ancestry;
(6) sex;
(Cool sexual orientation;

Section 3. Training

(a) In general. -

There is hereby established a commission to be known as the "Police Hate-based Intimidation Prevention Commission", hereinafter referred to as the “commission”.

(b) Purpose. -

The commission shall develop and provide training on hate-based intimidation to police officers. The commission may also consult with relevant stakeholders in developing the training. The training shall include, but not be limited to:

I will sponsor
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 08:52:59 PM by Esteemed Governor Jimmy7812 »

Looking for a sponsor:

Section 1. Short title

Section 2. Definition

(1) race;
(2) color;
(3) religion;
(4) national origin;
(5) ancestry;
(6) sex;
(8) sexual orientation;

Section 3. Training

(a) In general. -

(b) Purpose. -

I will sponsor

Thanks Councilor S019.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »

Looking for a sponsor:

School Bus and School Vehicle Student Safety Act

To require all school buses to have surveillance cameras and seat belts; requiring school bus and school vehicle drivers to be distraction-free.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “School Bus and School Vehicle Student Safety Act".

Section 2. Requirements

(a) Surveillance. -

Every school bus registered in the region of Lincoln shall be required to have a video monitoring system that, at a minimum, includes an internal camera positioned so that every seat is within the camera's field of vision and one of the following:
(i) an internal camera positioned outward so that the road ahead is within the camera's field of vision; or
(ii) an external camera.

(b) Seat Belts. -

Every school bus registered in the region of Lincoln shall be equipped with or be fitted with retractable seat belts. No passenger may be carried for whom a seat belt is not available. Each passenger shall use a seat belt when the bus is in motion.

Section 3. Distracted Drivers

(a) In general. -

While operating a school bus or a school vehicle registered in the region of Lincoln on any road when the school bus or school vehicle is in motion and is transporting one or more passengers, no individual may:
(i) consume food or beverages; or
(ii) operate a cellphone.

(b) Exception. -

The prohibition in subsection (a) does not apply when the school bus or school vehicle is:
(i) parked in a safe area off of a road;
(ii) the consumption of food or beverages is necessary for a medical condition; or
(ii) the operation of the cellular telephone occurs during an emergency situation.

(c) Fines. -

A person who violates this section commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than two hundred dollars. The fine shall be five hundred dollars if the violation causes a vehicular accident.

(d) Definitions. -

As used in Section, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context, the term "emergency situation" shall mean a call made to:
(i) an emergency system response operator or 911 public safety communications dispatcher;
(ii) a hospital or emergency room;
(iii) a physician's office or health clinic;
(iv) an ambulance or fire department rescue service;
(v) a fire department or volunteer fire department;
(vi) a police department;
(vii) a school district building or central dispatch; or
(viii) an emergency roadside assistance agency or towing or repair businesses.

Section 2(a) of this Act shall take effect 90 days after passage; Section 2(b) of this Act shall take effect 180 days after passage; Section 3 of this Act shall take effect immediately after passage.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:25 PM »

Looking for a sponsor:

To require all school buses to have surveillance cameras and seat belts; requiring school bus and school vehicle drivers to be distraction-free.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “School Bus and School Vehicle Student Safety Act".

Section 2. Requirements

(a) Surveillance. -

Every school bus registered in the region of Lincoln shall be required to have a video monitoring system that, at a minimum, includes an internal camera positioned so that every seat is within the camera's field of vision and one of the following:
(i) an internal camera positioned outward so that the road ahead is within the camera's field of vision; or
(ii) an external camera.

(b) Seat Belts. -

Every school bus registered in the region of Lincoln shall be equipped with or be fitted with retractable seat belts. No passenger may be carried for whom a seat belt is not available. Each passenger shall use a seat belt when the bus is in motion.

(a) In general. -

While operating a school bus or a school vehicle registered in the region of Lincoln on any road when the school bus or school vehicle is in motion and is transporting one or more passengers, no individual may:

(b) Exception. -

The prohibition in subsection (a) does not apply when the school bus or school vehicle is:
(ii) the consumption of food or beverages is necessary for a medical condition; or
(ii) the operation of the cellular telephone occurs during an emergency situation.

(c) Fines. -

A person who violates this section commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than two hundred dollars. The fine shall be five hundred dollars if the violation causes a vehicular accident.

(d) Definitions. -

As used in Section, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context, the term "emergency situation" shall mean a call made to:
(i) an emergency system response operator or 911 public safety communications dispatcher;

Section 2(a) of this Act shall take effect 90 days after passage; Section 2(b) of this Act shall take effect 180 days after passage; Section 3 of this Act shall take effect immediately after passage.

I will sponsor
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 08:57:25 PM »

Looking for a sponsor:

Section 1. Short title

Section 2. Requirements

(a) Surveillance. -

(i) an internal camera positioned outward so that the road ahead is within the camera's field of vision; or
(ii) an external camera.

(b) Seat Belts. -

(a) In general. -

(b) Exception. -

(c) Fines. -

(d) Definitions. -

I will sponsor

Thanks Councilor S019.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »

AN ACT
to abolish the office of Governor

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Gubernatorial Abolition Act."

i. The Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

Section 1. Proposed Legislation Thread
A. Members of the Council, the GovernorChancellor, and any concerned Lincoln citizen shall post the full text of any proposed legislation in a response to the Council of Lincoln Legislation Introduction Thread. Each response shall contain only one piece of proposed legislation.

F. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor'sChancellor's signature, lack of GubernatorialChancellor's action, or referendum override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (d) the Chancellorany Councillor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote.

I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendum by the GovernorChancellor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendum within 72 hours for the Governor'sChancellor's move to a referendum being announced. An override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Sections 4 and 5 are to be repealed in their entirety.

B. At the beginning of each term of the Council, and at any time when the office is vacant, the secondfirst order of business of the Council shall be to elect the Speaker after the election of the Chancellor. Prior to the election of a Speaker, the Chancellormost senior Councillor may serve as Acting Speaker for the purposes of electing a Speaker only. If there is not a Speaker, the Governor may preside over the election of the Chancellor. If the Governor is unavailable for any reason, the most senior Councillor shall preside.

C. Upon the seating of the Council, or upon the vacation of the office of Speaker, the most senior Councillor, shall announce a 24 hour period for nominations to the Speakership. Any Councillor may then nominate themselves or one of their colleagues for the office of Speaker. At the conclusion of the period for nominations, the most senior Councillor shall declare a poll of the Council. Voting shall continue until a majority has been reached, or until 48 hours have elapsed, whichever comes first. Sitting Councillors not nominated are eligible to be voted for unless they explicitly declined the Speakership during the period for nominations. Votes cast for persons not being sitting Members of the Commons, or for Members who have declined the Speakership, shall be counted void and omitted from the record for the purpose of calculating the majority.

D. The Chancellormost Senior Councillor shall certify the results following the election, and the Speaker shall immediately assume office.

Section 8. Amending the SOAP
A. In recognizing that the Lincoln Council has the right to determine its own operating procedures without outside approval, future amendments to the SOAP will no longer require the Governor'sChancellor's signature upon passing.

Section 9. Terminology
B. All proposed legislation that requires the signature of the GovernorChancellor shall be called a Bill until signed and thereafter an Act.

Section 3 (Gubernatorial Abolition Amendment)
i. To merge the offices of Chancellor and Governor, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:
6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governorChancellor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may refer the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the reference of the governorChancellor by a majority vote of all elected MCs. If the governorChancellor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

7. The Council may, by a four fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes or gross negligence; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for a period not exceeding eighteen months.

9. In the event of a tie in a vote of the Council, the governor shall have the power to break the tie the vote shall be deemed to have failed.

10. The council shall, on the first day of sitting or upon the vacation of the office of Speaker, elect a Speaker as the first order of business, according to the rules of proceedings determined by the Council itself.

10. The Council, on the first day after the governor’s appointment of a chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed chancellor shall be dismissed and the governor shall advance the appointment of a new chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln.

11. Upon the seating of the Council after a Speaker has been elected, or upon the vacation of the office of Chancellor, the Speaker shall announce a 24 hour period for nominations to the Chancellorship. Any Councillor may then nominate themselves or one of their colleagues for the office of Chancellor. At the conclusion of the period for nominations, the Speaker shall declare a poll of the Council. If a Councillor can command the support of the majority of the Council they are then elected as Chancellor.

112. While no Speaker or Chancellor holds office who shall have earned the confidence of the Council, the Council may not conduct any business beyond conducting votes on confidence or on emergency resolutions, as described in Section 13 of this Article.

123. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a majority of the membership of the Council voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for chancellor. either a new Chancellor must be elected or snap elections shall be called.

134. Legislation shall fall into three categories in the Council once proposed in the Legislation Proposal Thread: government legislation, opposition legislation, and emergency legislation. Government legislation, which is proposed by councilors in the Chancellor’s government, shall have no less than three more slots than opposition legislation, which is proposed by any councilor not in government. The ratio of government to opposition slots shall be determined by the Standing Orders of Council Procedure. Emergency legislation, which must receive a sufficient second and third in the Proposal Thread by councilors other than the proposer, and must be sanctioned as necessary of emergency action by either the Chancellor or the Governor, shall not be confined by any slot as described above. An emergency designation may be denied by three-fifths of the Council voting to deny the designation.

145. Early elections for the Council may be called by the governorChancellor as long as the snap election does not occur less than a month before a regular election if he determines that no government can be formed, following the failure of a confidence vote at the beginning of a new parliamentary term or the failure of any councilor to produce a government as described in Section 6 of Article II or following a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and failure of the successive confidence vote to produce a government. In addition, the Governor may call a snap election at the request of the Chancellor, be it that the snap election does not occur less than a month before or after a regularly scheduled election.

1. The executive power shall be divided between the Governor of Lincoln andvested in the Chancellor of Lincoln, with the governor having the powers of the head of state and the chancellor the powers of the head of government.

2. The governor shall be elected by the entire body of eligible voters. No person shall be governorChancellor who is not a registered voter of Lincoln, nor who has been a citizen thereof for fewer than 730 hours.

3. The governor shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of state of the Region; to command the militia in times of war; to issue pardons and reprieves for crimes committed under the laws of this Region, which shall be permanent upon their issuance, though he shall have no power to pardon himself; to appoint, in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, the Associate Justice for this Region; and to approve, or send to referendum, all acts passed by the Council.

5. The chancellor, who must be a member of the Council, shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of government of the Region; to lead the government, so long as he commands the confidence of the Council; and to administer the functions of the head of state; to command the militia in times of war; to issue pardons and reprieves for crimes committed under the laws of this Region, which shall be permanent upon their issuance, though he shall have no power to pardon himself; to appoint, in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, the Associate Justice for this Region; and to approve, or send to referendum, all acts passed by the Council. as acting governor upon the death, impeachment, recall, or resignation of the governor, or whenever he should otherwise become unable to execute the duties of his office. The chancellor shall not forfeit his office upon ascending to the position of acting governor; but should the chancellor be elected governor in an ensuing by-election, he shall forfeit his offices in the Council, including the chancellery.

Article III. The People
2. Whenever the Council shall be equally divided over any bill, order, or resolution, the GovernorChancellor may choose to refer the issue to the people. Accordingly, the Minister of Regional Elections shall call a referendum on the proposal, with the ballot question “Shall [name of bill, followed by text] be made law?” A vote of “YES” shall be considered a vote for passage; a vote of “NO” shall be considered a vote against passage. Abstentions will not affect the results. Referred legislation shall immediately become law upon its passage by the people.

Article IV. The Senate
2. Senators shall be elected by a direct vote of the people, and no person eligible to vote in elections for governor andthe Council shall be denied the right to vote for Senator.

3. Should a vacancy occur in the representation of this Region in the Senate, the governorChancellor shall appoint an Acting Senator to serve until a replacement may be elected. Special elections for the Senate shall begin on the Friday following the creation of the vacancy; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy.

Article V. Elections
3. All elections and referendums of this Region shall be administered by the Minister of Regional Elections. The Minister of Regional Elections shall be appointed by the Chancellor, shall serve at the pleasure of the chancellor, and may be impeached and removed from office by a vote of two-thirds of the Council. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections is unable to execute this duty, the GovernorChancellor shall administer the election. Whenever the Minister of Regional Elections and GovernorChancellor are both unable to execute this duty, the Speaker of the Council shall administer the election.

4. Regular elections for governor shall be held in the months of March, July, and November. Elections for Council shall be held in the months of January, April, July, and October.

5. The manner for electing the governor shall be as follows, using a two-round voting system: a general ballot of all declared candidates shall begin at 12:00:00 am on the penultimate Friday of the given month and conclude seventy-two hours thereafter. Voters shall mark their ballot for a single candidate only. In the event one candidate should receive a majority of all the votes cast, inclusive of blank or spoilt ballots, that candidate shall be elected governor. Should no majority exist, the recipients of the largest and next-largest shares of the votes cast shall advance to a second ballot to be held beginning at 12:00:00 am on the final Friday of the given month and to conclude seventy-hours thereafter. No more than two candidates shall advance to the second ballot, and none save these shall be eligible to receive votes. Should the number of candidates qualified to advance be greater than two as the result of a tie, the Council shall nominate two candidates to advance to the second ballot, unless a sufficient number should earlier concede. A majority of valid votes on the second ballot shall be sufficient to elect the governor; in the event of a tie, the governor shall be elected by a vote of the Council. Special elections for governor shall be by Instant Runoff Voting.

6. Candidates for governor, Council and federal Senate must declare their candidacy in the appropriate thread by 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time, on the Wednesday preceding the election in order to appear on the ballot. Party identification of gubernatorial candidates may not be displayed anywhere on the ballot. Party identification for candidates for any other office may be displayed below their name.

7. Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the thirdsecond Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November.). Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

i. §3 shall be ratified by the normal procedures prescribed by the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.
ii. §3 shall be enacted after the next regular Council elections following its ratification by the people.
iii. §2 shall take effect upon the enactment of section §3 in accordance with the previous subsections.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »

AN ACT
to get rid of society's nuisances

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this amendment shall be, the "Ban Bad Things Act."

Section 2 (Preamble)
i. Seeing as how there are many things that we, living in a society, universally accept to be bad, and how the government can ban things and they can magically disappear, this act exists to ban any and all things that the region of Lincoln, especially Chancellor S019, find bad.

Section 3 (Bans)
i. Marijuana usage is banned, and anyone caught smoking the wacky tabacky will see 69 years of incarceration.
ii. Communism is banned, and practice will result in being sent to a gulag in Northern Wisconsin.
iii. Tobacco products are banned, and anyone caught smonking will be forced to sing the national anthem of Canada in French for 48 hours straight without food, water, or sleep.
iv. Cancer is banned, and any cancer cells will be sent straight to federal prison for a life sentence.
v. Dixie is banned, despite not existing for over a century and a half, and any pro-Confederate songs being played will result in the chancellor spitting at you.
vi. Watermelon knives are hereby banned, and anyone caught, using, selling, or doing "other things" with watermelon knives will get sent straight to death row.

Section 4 (Enactment)
i. All of the bans mentioned in this bill shall take effect immediately after passage by the region's council.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies