5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:37:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 5th Council of Lincoln Legislative Introduction Thread  (Read 826 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« on: October 28, 2019, 10:39:56 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2019, 09:19:49 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

Uniform Election Time Amendment

I. To allow for consistency in our election procedures and times, and to bring them to the same standards as federal elections, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:

Quote from: Lincoln Constitution, Article 5.7
Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday, the special election shall begin on the third Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time (or Eastern Daylight Time from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November.) Standard Time. Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

II. This Amendment takes effect after ratification by the people of Lincoln as pursuant to Article VI of the Lincoln Constitution.

Increasing Council Transition efficiency SOAP amendment

Section I. The Amendment
1. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

Section 2. Movement of Legislation to the Floor
E. After any election for the Council, all legislation slots shall be emptied and all pending legislation shall be considered automatically tabled.

Reintroducing these because they didn't pass before the adjournment last council. Drafted with Peanut, can someone please sponsor them (again) so they can get to the floor.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 01:42:01 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2019, 07:11:33 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

AN ACT
to grant the Governor veto powers

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Gubernatorial Veto Powers Act."

Section 2 (Amendment to the Council Standing Orders)
i. Section 2 of the Standing Orders of the Council of Lincoln shall be amended as follows

Section 2. Movement of Legislation to the Floor
G. Each thread shall remain open until the bill either (a) becomes law via the Governor's signature, lack of Gubernatorial action, or referendumveto override, (b) fails to receive majority support from Council, (c) is sent to the public for a referendum, pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Comprehensive Constitutional Amendment, or (c) the Chancellor moves to revoke it from the floor, subject to a majority vote

Section 3. Legislative Debates and Voting
I. In the event that passed legislation is recommended to a referendumvetoed by the Governor, either the Chancellor or any Councillor may introduce a motion to override the move to a referendumveto within 72 hours for the Governor's move to a referendumveto being announced. A veto override vote shall last 48 hours, or until all Councillors have voted, if earlier with a two-thirds majority required for the veto to be overriden. This text shall not be interpreted as to deny Councillors the right to change their vote before the Speaker has officially closed voting via a post in the appropriate legislation thread.

Section 3 (Gubernatorial Veto Powers Amendment)
i. To allow for greater powers to be granted to the Governor, the Constitution of the Region of Lincoln is amended as follows:
Article I. The Legislative Power
6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may referveto the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the referenceveto of the governor by a two-thirds majority vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

Article II. The Executive Power
3. The governor shall have the power to carry out all acts in association with his role as the head of state of the Region; to command the militia in times of war; to issue pardons and reprieves for crimes committed under the laws of this Region, which shall be permanent upon their issuance, though he shall have no power to pardon himself; to appoint, in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, the Associate Justice for this Region; and to approve, or send to referendumveto, all acts passed by the Council.

Section 4 (Implementation)
i. §3 shall take effect upon its ratification by the people, according to the procedure prescribed by the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.
ii. §2 shall take effect upon the ratification of section §3 in accordance with the constitution of the Region by Article VI thereof.

Amendment drafted jointly with Governor Jimmy, it replaces the complex referendum override system with a simple Governor's Veto. It would be appreciated by me and the Governor if a Councillor could sponsor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies