United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 69
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 135834 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: November 19, 2019, 03:55:12 PM »

This is gloriously shambolic.
Roblox

« Reply #676 on: November 19, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »

The time limits were hilariously strict. Like, they couldn't finish a single sentence before being told to stop lmao.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #677 on: November 19, 2019, 03:56:44 PM »

Both party leaders arent really doing well in this debate, but the gap between how well Corbyn is doing and how well Johnson is doing is rather wide.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #678 on: November 19, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »

The UK collectively lost that debate. Just like I expected, nobody won.

Remember those snap polls I warned  you about? The only thing they confirm is this debate sucked.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #679 on: November 19, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »

Damn that was a letdown.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #680 on: November 19, 2019, 04:14:13 PM »

Johnson definitely won because he made the debate all about Brexit. Although the debate itself was a sh**t show. The moderator barely gave any time to answer questions and then at the end said that they didn't get to as many questions as they were hoping, lol. Also having the candidates shake hands and pledge to be more civil was just cringe worthy. The quickfire format at the end was dumb to and asking a question about Prince Andrew was also cringe

I don't expect this debate to shift opinion though.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #681 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »

The UK collectively lost that debate. Just like I expected, nobody won.

Who could have seen that one coming.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #682 on: November 19, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2019, 05:39:18 PM by ¢®🅰ß 🦀 ©@k€ 🎂 »

don't understand why Corbyn couldn't say "I will remain personally neutral in the second referendum rather than divide the country etc" rather than awkwardly repeat his line about giving a second referendum a couple of times.

Boris annoyed me intensely in how he answered the Brexit/Scottish questions, but I've long found him an irritating public presence even relative to other Tory politicians, so I can't be the best judge. I guess his strategy of talking about his Brexit deal as often as possible was to ensure he would be talking about it on the news, but it was aggrevating to watch. Corbyn speaks a bit slow for me, but that's probably better than BoJo's nonsense stream of words.

Never cringed harder at a debate than at Etchingham's "WHY CANT YOU SHAKE HANDS" gimmick. Do we really need to treat politicians like they're seven year olds who have just had a tiff? Especially because all things considered, both were pretty genial relative to what they could have been (maybe BJ thought he would look a bit mean ripping into Corbyn too hard ?)

lmao at the Prince Andrew question making Boris's previous question look tactless.

Also ban audiences from these debates imo. They do nothing but waste our time with their generic questions and rehearsed interruptions to throw the opposing candidates.

In conclusion: basically no winner at all and no real effect in the grand scheme of things.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #683 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »

Seven year olds having a tiff would be an improvement.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #684 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

YouGov / Sky News

Post debate scores

Trustworthy
Corbyn 45
Johnson 40

Prime ministerial
Corbyn 29
Johnson 54

Likeable
Corbyn 37
Johnson 54

In touch with ordinary people
Corbyn 59
Johnson 25
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #685 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »

Jermey Corbyn is so bad that he makes Ilhan Omar look good compared to him. Corbyn needs to lose in a landslide

Wow, thank you for the insight, Old School Republican, very cool!

Can we please deport people who know nothing about British politics from the thread?

There's a vicious antisemite running for Prime Minister of a country with nuclear weapons. This ceased being solely about the UK a long time ago.

We've already got at least two racists in control of nuclear weapons, so a third won't make much of a difference.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #686 on: November 19, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »

Jermey Corbyn is so bad that he makes Ilhan Omar look good compared to him. Corbyn needs to lose in a landslide

Can we please deport people who know nothing about British politics from the thread?

There's a vicious antisemite running for Prime Minister of a country with nuclear weapons. This ceased being solely about the UK a long time ago.

We've already got at least two racists in control of nuclear weapons, so a third won't make much of a difference.

Also, corbyn isn't antisemitic. Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true.

Meanwhile, if those YouGov polls are.to be believed (yes, yes, grain of salt and all), Corbyn has probably come out ahead. His personal ratings were so low before, after all, he couldn't help but make a good impression.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #687 on: November 19, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »

Also, corbyn isn't antisemitic. Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true.

Meanwhile, if those YouGov polls are.to be believed (yes, yes, grain of salt and all), Corbyn has probably come out ahead. His personal ratings were so low before, after all, he couldn't help but make a good impression.

Good old dead cat bounce.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #688 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »

Jo Swinson...being very...you know...Blair (slight exasperation) in how...you know...she talks.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #689 on: November 19, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »

Jo Swinson...being very...you know...Blair (slight exasperation) in how...you know...she talks.

If she doesn't wipe the floor with the two jokers that have been up tonight at the multi-party debate she should just give up with politics.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #690 on: November 19, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »

Sturgeon doing well.

Not that I'm biased.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #691 on: November 19, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »

tonight's debate may have some bearing on that (I'm not one of those who thinks they can never change anything - and tbh am surprised at those who do, given Cleggmania wasn't *that* long ago)

Cleggmania didn't change anything though. It gave Clegg a momentary blip but the overall effect on the election was actually fairly minimal

There can certainly be a pretty good argument that it stopped the Tories getting a majority in that election, with the consequences that we are all familiar with.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #692 on: November 19, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »

tonight's debate may have some bearing on that (I'm not one of those who thinks they can never change anything - and tbh am surprised at those who do, given Cleggmania wasn't *that* long ago)

Cleggmania didn't change anything though. It gave Clegg a momentary blip but the overall effect on the election was actually fairly minimal

There can certainly be a pretty good argument that it stopped the Tories getting a majority in that election, with the consequences that we are all familiar with.

Also the LDs were meandering in the mid-teens before Cleggmania. They didn't get 30+% of the vote as looked possible at the peak of Cleggmania, but they did get mid-20s, which was a big difference. Maybe less so in seats.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #693 on: November 19, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »

Anyway, the debate.

Given how far Corbyn was behind Johnson on most measures beforehand, I think he will be happy with basically a draw. And significantly more Tories think he did well than Labourites were impressed by Johnson.

Not a game changer in itself, but maybe evidence the Tories don't have it all sewn up yet.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #694 on: November 19, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

Anyways, I think the debate went well for Jeremy Corbyn and serves as a reminder that Boris Johnson being an incredibly polarizing figure is hardly an asset when the aim of the Conservative Party is winning a majority - a repeat of 2017 won't do and a one-on-one debate with Corbyn was always going to push many people towards Labour.

Jeremy Corbyn could have wiped the floor with Boris Johnson if instead of evading his question, he had remarked that he wouldn't campaign in the referendum because he wants "the people to decide". This would still constitute a kind of evasion but would be more clever and would stand as a nice foil to Boris Johnson's polarizing rhetoric.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #695 on: November 19, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

Cleggmania didn't change anything though. It gave Clegg a momentary blip but the overall effect on the election was actually fairly minimal. And that's when he was the clear winner over Brown and Cameron, whereas both Johnson and Corbyn are so bad at debating I'm not sure there can be a clear winner. And even if there is a decisive winner, there's still three weeks until the election, plenty of time for other shiny things to make people forget the debate even happened.

I am surprised Theresa May is running again.  Last few PMs seems to have retired from politics after they left the PM spot.

As I said in my predictions, her becoming the female Ted Heath would be such a perfect end to her story.
Why did Clegg do worse than Kennedy in seats?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #696 on: November 19, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2019, 11:46:34 AM by Dynamite Shovel »

Seriously I get that many people here hate Corbyn which is hardly surprising if you're in any way right-wing, but mucking up this thread just ranting about how terrible he is about as insightful and productive as that clique who spammed up the KY Governor election thread circle jerking about how obviously Titanium Safe R the election was.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #697 on: November 19, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »

Take this noise pollution somewhere else dude, no one cares about your opinion and no one knows who you are! This is a thread for discussing the UK election, not a place for spewing second-rate invective lifted from the Daily Mirror or the Daily Mail.

Please leave, thanks.

No comment about his education? You're slipping, man. It's always sad to see.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #698 on: November 19, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »

If the debate was actually aimed at providing a forum for a productive discussion then I suspect we would have seen something like the Clinton-Trump debates where both candidates are speaking to two different countries. There is a reason why BoJo kept punching at corbyn on Brexit after all. But the debates were entirely unproductive and like I said earlier, the country lost tonight.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #699 on: November 19, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »

I did not watch it and I gather that I was correct in my decision. As far as impact, I presume the main thing will be a reminder that the election is 'real' - this has been such a low-key campaign thusfar that that isn't a minor matter. Though, for the record, if the general view is that it was a draw, that means a strategic loss for Johnson given Corbyn's low approval ratings.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies