SENATE BILL: Atlasia says Trans Rights Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:53:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasia says Trans Rights Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasia says Trans Rights Act (Passed)  (Read 1488 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
« edited: November 13, 2019, 01:12:43 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL

To strengthen trans rights and fund their required treatment

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in Congress assembled,

SECTION I. Definitions
1. A person known as Transgender shall be defined as someone with a gender identity or gender expression that differs from their sex assigned at birth.
2. A person known as Cisgender shall be defined as someone with a gender identity or gender expression that coincides with their sex assigned at birth.

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
1. All cisgender Atlasians shall be taxed an additional 2 cents a year.
2. The funds raised by this tax shall be used to cover treatments for transgender people, including but not limited to hormone therapy

SECTION III. Further protecting Trans rights
1. No federal government agency shall discriminate against any Atlasian because of their sexual orientation or self identification.
2. Transgender Atlasians will not be denied housing, employment, etc. based on their self identified gender or status as transgender Atlasians.
3. Treatments for transgender Atlasians as prescribed by a certified psychologist shall be covered by AtlasCare, as defined in Section 2 of the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

SECTION IV. Enactment
1. This bill shall become enacted immediately after passage

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB20:26
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to produce an advocacy and all other members 48 hours to respond with their initial criticisms, questions and concerns.

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »

Holy sh**t.

I'd like to thank tack for sponsoring such a bill. It is more than I could have ever dreamed of. However, I have some amendments that I'd like to see sponsored.

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. Definitions
1. A person known as Transgender shall be defined as someone with a gender identity or gender expression that differs from their sex assigned at birth.
2. A person known as Cisgender shall be defined as someone with a gender identity or gender expression that coincides with their sex assigned at birth.

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
1. All cisgender Atlasians shall be taxed an additional 2 cents 0.01% a year.
2. The funds raised by this tax shall be used to cover treatments for transgender people, including but not limited to hormone therapy.

1. No federal government agency shall discriminate against any Atlasian because of their sexual orientation or self identification.
2. Transgender Atlasians will not be denied housing, employment, etc. based on their self identified gender or status as transgender Atlasians.
3. Treatments for transgender Atlasians as prescribed by a certified psychologist shall be covered by AtlasCare, as defined in Section 2 of the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017.

SECTION IV. Enactment
1. This bill shall become enacted immediately after passage.
As I've said before, despite my initial calculations, 2 cents would not be enough to cover hormone therapy for all transgender Atlasians. To comply with this, I've transformed the flat 2 cent tax into a progressive 0.01% (or regressive and flat, if you will), which clocks in at a mean of $4.82 per tax payer, meaning that the funds could not only pay for hormones for all who want it, but also then some. As for the extra periods, that's more for grammatical purposes than any real reason.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »

Read the information on Tack's sponsorship about why he regressed to the two-cent tax. I fully understand why it'd likely be unenforceable, but I have one thing to say: Do it, balls.
Though, honestly, I'd be satisfied even if the all-cis jury rejects the tax on their brethren. Section 3 is still pretty damn good.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:06 AM »

Ok, so this is a bill with 2 very different sections. The first one is the infamous cis tax Peebs has been lobbying hard for. I still think it is unconstitutional under Equal Protection reasons, but I still wanted to see it debated (plus we need to give the justices something to do from time to time Tongue ). Plus since I am leaving in 2 days it is not as if I will be the one guilty for passing unconstitutional legislation Wink

I went with her original proposal of a flat 2 cent tax, but this new 0.01% proposal is also good.

Meanwhile the other half of the bill is a semi-generic bill to add further protections for trans people; partly borrowed from some obscure regional pre-reset bill I found while looking if we had done this before. It also includes their required treatments into AtlasCare.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. Definitions

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
2. The funds raised by this tax shall be used to cover treatments for transgender people, including but not limited to hormone therapy

3. Treatments for transgender Atlasians as prescribed by a certified psychologist shall be covered by AtlasCare, as defined in Section 2 of the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

SECTION IV. Enactment

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB20:26
No matter the amount that this taxes cis people, this is incredibly and blatantly discriminatory towards that group and certainly illegal. It literally directly contradicts Article III Sec. 1 as well. It would be wise to remove Section II entirely.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »

Also worth noting most of section III is already being addressed in an existing bill that has passed the house, and waiting to go to the Senate.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2019, 01:59:34 PM by Devout Centrist »

Presenting the following amendment:

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. Definitions

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
The Federal Government of Atlasia shall levy a tax of 4 cents per $100 dollars on all purchases and transactions conducted across regional lines within Atlasia.
2. The Department of Health and Human Services shall establish a division, hereby referred to as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Agency (LGBTHA).
2. 3. The funds raised by this tax shall be used to cover treatments for transgender people, including but not limited to hormone therapy fund the LGBTHA.
3. The Department of Health and Human Services shall take all appropriate steps to fund healthcare for Atlasians who wish to medically transition their gender.

SECTION IV. Enactment
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »

Hostile. I like II.2 and II.3; but the point of this bill was to pass Peebs' cis tax and get it to court to give the justices something to do lol.

If we are going to make this a "serious" bill instead of a "meme" bill I would remove taxation entirely tbh.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »

Excellent spirit in this legislation. I applaud Peebs and Senator Tack for working on this initiative to promote trans rights. It is far past time we make this happen.

Sec I is perfect.

Sec II is absolutely unconstitutional as-is. I believe we should seek to fund medical transitions without placing a regressive tax on Atlasians - sales tax or otherwise. This should be made part of our federal healthcare policy.

Sec III is brilliant. If these points are addressed in a House-approved bill, as noted by Rep. Fhtagn, I would favor simply adding any unaddressed elements of that bill into this legislation and tabling the House bill when it hits the Senate floor.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »

Hostile. I like II.2 and II.3; but the point of this bill was to pass Peebs' cis tax and get it to court to give the justices something to do lol.

If we are going to make this a "serious" bill instead of a "meme" bill I would remove taxation entirely tbh.
Well, I think funding a new division of HHS to provide healthcare to trans people is fundamentally a good idea. A tax will help fund this division fully.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »

Editing the amendment to the following:

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. Definitions

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
The Federal Government of Atlasia shall levy a tax of 4 cents per $100 dollars on luxury items purchases across state lines.
a. Luxury items are defined as any tangible or intangible item with a fair market value of $100,000 or more
b. All housing purchases shall be excluded from the above tax
2. The Department of Health and Human Services shall establish a division, hereby referred to as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Agency (LGBTHA).
2. 3. The funds raised by this tax shall be used to cover treatments for transgender people, including but not limited to hormone therapy fund the LGBTHA.
3. The Department of Health and Human Services shall take all appropriate steps to fund healthcare for Atlasians who wish to medically transition their gender.

SECTION IV. Enactment
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »

All we need now is a way for someone to prove they're not cis to be exempt from the tax.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »

Editing the amendment to the following:

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. Definitions

SECTION II. The Cis Tax
The Federal Government of Atlasia shall levy a tax of 4 cents per $100 dollars on luxury items purchases across state lines.
a. Luxury items are defined as any tangible or intangible item with a fair market value of $100,000 or more
b. All housing purchases shall be excluded from the above tax

SECTION IV. Enactment
Now this is an amendment I can get behind, thank you for listening.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »

If the new proposal for a base 4 cents per $100 dollars on luxury items is sufficient to cover the estimated cost of these health services, I will support it, although I would prefer we break this down into a progressive structure nonetheless.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 02:31:36 AM »

Tack is the new amendment revision friendly?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:24 AM »

Yeah, friendly. I guess it is time to turn this into a serious bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 03:49:40 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »

If the new proposal for a base 4 cents per $100 dollars on luxury items is sufficient to cover the estimated cost of these health services, I will support it, although I would prefer we break this down into a progressive structure nonetheless.

Seeing the nature and substance of the Amendment and proposed taxation, I don't really think it fundamental to break it down, to be honest; though I do see your reasoning.

Anyway, as it stands, this is a commendable bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 12:59:05 AM »

Who wants to assume sponsorship? Tack is gone, so unless we can proceed to an immediate final vote we need a new sponsor.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »

I'll sponsor
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »

Any objections??
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 01:35:39 AM »

Devout Centrist is now sponsor officially.

The last amendment was adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 04:24:34 AM »

So final vote then?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix