FT 13.10 – Universal Suffrage Act (Awaiting signature)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:29:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13.10 – Universal Suffrage Act (Awaiting signature)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13.10 – Universal Suffrage Act (Awaiting signature)  (Read 474 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
« edited: October 22, 2019, 07:15:07 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to maximize citizen participation in state elections

Section 1 (Title & definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Universal Suffrage Act."
ii. As used in this legislation, "non-apparent citizen" shall refer exclusively to non-playable characters, who by the constitutions and laws of Atlasia and the Commonwealth of Frémont, are citizens of Frémont and the state or territory in which they reside; and shall not be taken to refer to any person eligible to vote in federal and regional elections by virtue of their registration with the Census Bureau.

Section 2 (Automatic voter registration)
i. Every non-apparent citizen of Frémont, on attaining the age of sixteen, shall be automatically enrolled as a registered voter of the state or territory in which they reside.
ii. Every new non-apparent citizen of a state being sixteen years of age or older, and not being a registered voter of the state in which they reside, shall be eligible for enrollment from the moment of their actual residence in that state.
(a) New non-apparent citizens may cause themselves to be enrolled by submitting the date of their actual residence and two articles of documentary evidence giving their name and current address to the ministry of elections.

Section 3 (Calendar for state and municipal elections)
i. Effective 1 January 2020, all regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the first day of November, in the year in which those elections would have proceeded had this Act never been made.
ii. Effective 1 January 2020, the filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be sixty-one days before the election.

Section 4 (Vote-By-Mail)
i. Every state and external territory of Frémont shall institute statewide Vote-By-Mail for all state and municipal elections on or before 1 July 2020.
(a) For elections scheduled to take place between 1 July 2020 and 1 July 2022, all non-apparent citizens shall have the option to vote by mail.
(b) After 1 July 2022, all state and municipal elections shall be conducted exclusively by mail.
ii. No sooner than sixty days before the election, and no later than thirty days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS." The envelope will include
(a) a blank ballot,
(b) a form to update voter registration,
(c) instructions to vote by mail and update voter registration;
(d) a postage-paid envelope to return the completed ballot and voter registration form.
iii. All ballots postmarked on or before the date of the election will be accepted.
iv. Any eligible non-apparent citizen may request a new envelope on or before the day of the election in the event the original was not delivered, was incomplete, or was damaged.
v. A state may elect to implement digital Vote-By-Mail in addition to the provisions described by §3(ii) and §3(iii) above, or instead of the regionally-prescribed Vote-By-Mail system with the approval of the Frémont Ministry of Elections.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, MFP

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »

This bill would reform elections for state and local office by establishing automatic voter registration in all eighteen states and three territories of the Commonwealth and mandating the use of Vote-By-Mail for these elections, to be gradually phased in over the next three years. Both these innovations will improve voter participation by eliminating many of the practical that prevent otherwise-engaged citizens from voting, thereby strengthening the democratic integrity of our institutions.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »

<cough>
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »

Okay, then . . . I move for a vote. And it had better be unanimous, too, if no-one is going to comment during debate.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:28:24 PM »

This bill has my support.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 12:27:05 AM »

Voting by Mail destroys the great British tradition of the voting booth and election days. VBM is extremely susceptible to failures in the postal system can deprive electors of their right to vote and as seen recently in North Carolina VBM can be liable to voter fraud.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

Using North Carolina as an example of how a system is vulnerable to corruption is not the best argument, considering North Carolina has managed to corrupt basically every version of democracy in use on this continent. I am open to hearing how we could strengthen VBM to prevent fraud, however.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »

Using North Carolina as an example of how a system is vulnerable to corruption is not the best argument, considering North Carolina has managed to corrupt basically every version of democracy in use on this continent. I am open to hearing how we could strengthen VBM to prevent fraud, however.
Well most american voting proves that by far the safest and fairest way of conducting elections is with paper ballots counted by hand, as is done in almost all other Western democracies.
Certainly early voting and absentee voting should be provided as an option for voters, and I'm sure many voters would choose to use them, but I still believe that election day polling stations should remain an option for voters who would prefer it.
And with regards to strengthening VBM, I think making sure people have an alternative method of voting is most important. The Postal System is incredibly inefficient and frequently fails and such failures can disenfranchise voters.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »

I certainly agree with regard to paper ballots, which this system would preserve (and in some cases where states have transitioned to electronic voting machines, reintroduce). While VBM has weaknesses, the same is true of in-person voting: if you hit a pothole, run out of gas, or get caught in traffic on election day, you can be disenfranchised the same as if your ballot was lost in the mail. I'd be open to marking election materials as certified mail or extending the time between the delivery of ballots and the election to prevent the latter occasion; but ultimately, any system is going to have some potential for error. We're inclined to see that potential more strongly in VBM and less in in-person voting because VBM is new and we're used to (and thus more comfortable with the flaws of) in-person voting. Especially in the plains states and areas like Alaska that are sparsely populated and traveling to a voting booth to cast a ballot may be impractical, I expect VBM to enfranchise more people purposefully than it may disenfranchise accidentally —and there are more opportunities in an extended voting period such as this bill proposes to correct the latter in time than in an in-person system. I wouldn't be opposed to letting people hand-deliver their ballots at their county court-house, FTR.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

Offering an amendment:
AN ACT

ii. As used in this legislation, "non-apparent citizen" shall refer exclusively to non-playable characters, who by the constitutions and laws of Atlasia and the Commonwealth of Frémont, are citizens of Frémont and the state or territory in which they reside; and shall not be taken to refer to any person eligible to vote in federal and regional elections by virtue of their registration with the Census Bureau.

i. Every non-apparent citizen of Frémont, on attaining the age of sixteen, shall be automatically enrolled as a registered voter of the state or territory in which they reside.
ii. Every new non-apparent citizen of a state being sixteen years of age or older, and not being a registered voter of the state in which they reside, shall be eligible for enrollment from the moment of their actual residence in that state.
(a) New non-apparent citizens may cause themselves to be enrolled by submitting the date of their actual residence and two articles of documentary evidence giving their name and current address to the ministry of elections.

i. Effective 1 January 2020, all regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the first day of November, in the year in which those elections would have proceeded had this Act never been made.
ii. Effective 1 January 2020, the filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be sixty-one days before the election.

Section 4 (Vote-By-Mail)
i. Every state and external territory of Frémont shall institute statewide Vote-By-Mail for all state and municipal elections on or before 1 July 2020.
(a) For elections scheduled to take place between 1 July 2020 and 1 July 2022, all non-apparent citizens shall have the option to vote by mail.
(b) After 1 July 2022, all state and municipal elections shall be conducted exclusively by mail.
ii. No sooner than sixty days before the election, and no later than thirty days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS." The envelope will include
(a) a blank ballot,
(d) a postage-paid envelope to return the completed ballot and voter registration form.
iii. All ballots postmarked on or before the date of the election will be accepted.
iv. Any eligible non-apparent citizen may request a new envelope on or before the day of the election in the event the original was not delivered, was incomplete, or was damaged.
v. A state may elect to implement digital Vote-By-Mail in addition to the provisions described by §3(ii) and §3(iii) above, or instead of the regionally-prescribed Vote-By-Mail system with the approval of the Frémont Ministry of Elections.
vi. All election materials will be sent via certified mail. All ballots must be returned either by certified mail, or in person to the relevant municipal office.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 12:47:51 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »

I move for a vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:46 PM »

Nay
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »

With two members in favor, one opposed, and two not voting, the resolution carries.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »

AN ACT

Section 4 (Vote-By-Mail)
(a) a blank ballot,
vi. All election materials will be sent via certified mail. All ballots must be returned either by certified mail, or in person to the relevant municipal office.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies