HB 20-28: Immigration Reform Act (Voting)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:22:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 20-28: Immigration Reform Act (Voting)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 20-28: Immigration Reform Act (Voting)  (Read 838 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2019, 08:14:05 PM »
« edited: November 18, 2019, 12:10:42 AM by Speaker YE »

Immigration Reform Act

Based on the increased problem of illegal immigrants entering Atlasia be it resolved

1. E-Verify shall be mandated to be used by all employers when doing background checks on potential candidates for employment.
2. Individuals that attempt to cross illegally into Atlasia shall be prohibited to apply for citizenship for a period of 5 years and to visit Atlasia for a period of 1 year from the time of their deportation. This section shall also apply to individuals overstaying their visa in Atlasia.
3.Individuals illegally residing in Atlasia shall be prohibited from accessing free government services  that are provided to legal Atlasia residents including but not limited to non emergency healthcare, education, citizen services, and access to drivers license.
4. The Atlasia government will stop releasing temporary foreign work visas and guest workers permits with the exception of H1-B visas . This provision shall not be retroactive.
5. This bill shall take law upon being signed into law by the President.

Sponsor: citizen
72 hours to debate.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »

This is an old AZ bill that's been the in the pile for months now (due to the flooding of bills after YT's loss in the pres election).

This was also largely rejected by the House during the WB era IIRC.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »

This has my support, however I recognize that the current majority probably has no interest in stopping illegal immigration.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 07:17:18 AM »

This is a badly written law. I'm often a believer in amending/improving but you can't build anything off the back of this flaming pile of garbage. A 5 point bill to try and radically change our immigration system within what a month?

E-Verify shall be mandated to be used by all employers when doing background checks on potential candidates for employment

This is unclear & if it's trying to do what the sponsor wants (force all businesses to use E-verify) you'll be forcing a big and sudden change in regulations the moment the president approved this bill. It's always crazy how many Atlasia bills force changes literally overnight that would impact millions of businesses.

Individuals that attempt to cross illegally into Atlasia shall be prohibited to apply for citizenship for a period of 5 years and to visit Atlasia for a period of 1 year from the time of their deportation. This section shall also apply to individuals overstaying their visa in Atlasia.

Attempt to cross? Does that mean if I got on a plane to travel to Atlasia without an ESTA (the visas waiver) I would then be barred from entering for the next year?

The visas overstaying requirement is draconian even for the standards of the Home Office- and this bill offers no flexibility for cases where there might be extreme circumstances- haven't we learnt that it's generally not good to tie decisions like with arbitrary dates and rules that give officials no flexibility? 

Individuals illegally residing in Atlasia shall be prohibited from accessing free government services  that are provided to legal Atlasia residents including but not limited to non emergency healthcare, education, citizen services, and access to drivers license.

including but not limited to? I'd much rather see a comprehensive list of the services we'd be denying.

The Atlasia government will stop releasing temporary foreign work visas and guest workers permits with the exception of H1-B visas . This provision shall not be retroactive.

Do you know what this is proposing to end? I might have misread/misunderstood but this bill is proposing to end...

H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Worker   For temporary or seasonal agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.
H-2B: Temporary Non-agricultural Worker   For temporary or seasonal non- agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.
H-3: Trainee or Special Education visitor   To receive training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country or practical training programs in the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.
L: Intracompany Transferee   To work at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the current employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge.  Individual must have been employed by the same employer abroad continuously for 1 year within the three preceding years.
O: Individual with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement   For persons with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
P-1: Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group   To perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group. Requires an internationally recognized level of sustained performance. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
P-2: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group)   For performance under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
P-3: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group)   To perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
Q-1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program   For practical training and employment and for sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of your home country through participation in an international cultural exchange program.

I for one enjoy being in a country that encourages students, world class musicians & actors, athletes and others to actually be able to enter my country.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:02 AM »

I motion to table this bill.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:43:16 PM »

Going to interpret the recommendations from reps as seconds.

A 48 hour tabling vote is now open.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »

Nay
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »

Aye
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 05:48:51 PM »

Aye, I would consider debating this further, however this would need a rewrite before I could take it seriously.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »

Abstain
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »

AYE
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »

Aye

There are ways of approaching illegal immigration that don't involve denying people healthcare.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »

There are ways of approaching illegal immigration that don't involve denying people healthcare.

This would only have applied to non-emergency healthcare. They wouldn't be turned away in an emergency room if it became an emergency.

Even in countries with healthcare offered "free" to it's citizens, noncitizens do not get free healthcare.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 06:38:26 PM »

This would only have applied to non-emergency healthcare. They wouldn't be turned away in an emergency room if it became an emergency.

Even in countries with healthcare offered "free" to it's citizens, noncitizens do not get free healthcare.

Yes, but I don't see much evidence that it really reduces rates of immigration. It does, however, have a massive negative impact on people's lives.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »

Yes, but I don't see much evidence that it really reduces rates of immigration. It does, however, have a massive negative impact on people's lives.

Offering people access to "free" services they aren't entitled to and haven't paid into also has a massive negative impact on our economy.  We shouldn't be giving noncitizens benefits that are meant to go to people who actually belong here and need them.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 03:18:00 AM »

Offering people access to "free" services they aren't entitled to and haven't paid into also has a massive negative impact on our economy.  We shouldn't be giving noncitizens benefits that are meant to go to people who actually belong here and need them.

They certainly do pay in by doing very difficult jobs for extremely low wages.

This isn't a set up I like, its very clear that migrants are being exploited for cheap labour. However, I don't see how this measure improves this situation, either for the migrants or for the wider immigration issue.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 06:10:01 AM »

This isn't a set up I like, its very clear that migrants are being exploited for cheap labour. However, I don't see how this measure improves this situation, either for the migrants or for the wider immigration issue.

That's not what it means to pay into the system.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »

That's not what it means to pay into the system.

In the direct sense that people pay taxes and that funds public services - numbers vary but a large number of undocumented immigrants do pay taxes. They also contribute indirectly, by working hard and contributing to the economy which helps allow those services to be provided.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 01:06:02 AM »

This failed.

Motioning for a final vote here as honestly that's quicker and it'll get voted down anyway.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »

A final vote is now open seeing the lack of period for objections.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 12:11:04 AM »

Nay.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix