SB 20-26: Buffett Rule Act of 2019 (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 20-26: Buffett Rule Act of 2019 (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 20-26: Buffett Rule Act of 2019 (Final Vote)  (Read 1410 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2019, 04:08:38 AM »
« edited: December 09, 2019, 01:14:03 AM by Pericles »

A BILL

To ensure high-income earners pay a fair share of Federal taxes.

Section 1: Short title

This Act may be cited as the “Buffett Rule Act of 2019”.

Section 2: Text

(a) In general.—Subchapter A of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new part:

“PART VIII—Fair Share Tax on High-Income Taxpayers

“Sec. 59B. Fair share tax.

“SEC. 59B. Fair share tax.

“(a) General rule.—

“(1) PHASE-IN OF TAX.—In the case of any high-income taxpayer, there is hereby imposed for a taxable year (in addition to any other tax imposed by this subtitle) a tax equal to the product of— the amount determined under paragraph (2), and a fraction (not to exceed 1)—of  the taxpayer's adjusted gross income, over the dollar amount in effect under subsection (c)(1).

“(2) AMOUNT OF TAX.—The amount of tax determined under this paragraph is an amount equal to the excess (if any) of the tentative fair share tax for the taxable year, over

“(A) the excess of—

“(i) the sum of—

“(I) the regular tax liability (as defined in section 26(b)) for the taxable year, determined without regard to any tax liability determined under this section,

“(II) the tax imposed by section 55 for the taxable year, plus

“(III) the payroll tax for the taxable year, over

“(ii) the credits allowable under part IV of subchapter A (other than sections 27(a), 31, and 34).

“(b) Tentative fair share tax.—For purposes of this section—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—The tentative fair share tax for the taxable year is 30 percent of the excess of—

“(A) the adjusted gross income of the taxpayer, over

“(B) the modified charitable contribution deduction for the taxable year.

“(2) MODIFIED CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTION DEDUCTION.—For purposes of paragraph (1)—

“(A) IN GENERAL.—The modified charitable contribution deduction for any taxable year is an amount equal to the amount which bears the same ratio to the deduction allowable under section 170 (section 642(c) in the case of a trust or estate) for such taxable year as—

“(i) the amount of itemized deductions allowable under the regular tax (as defined in section 55) for such taxable year, determined after the application of section 68, bears to

“(ii) such amount, determined before the application of section 68.

“(B) TAXPAYER MUST ITEMIZE.—In the case of any individual who does not elect to itemize deductions for the taxable year, the modified charitable contribution deduction shall be zero.

“(c) High-Income taxpayer.—For purposes of this section—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘high-income taxpayer’ means, with respect to any taxable year, any taxpayer (other than a corporation) with an adjusted gross income for such taxable year in excess of $1,000,000 (50 percent of such amount in the case of a married individual who files a separate return).

“(2) INFLATION ADJUSTMENT.—

“(A) IN GENERAL.—In the case of a taxable year beginning after 2020, the $1,000,000 amount under paragraph (1) shall be increased by an amount equal to— such dollar amount, multiplied by the cost-of-living adjustment determined under section 1(f)(3) for the calendar year in which the taxable year begins, determined by substituting ‘calendar year 2019’ for ‘calendar year 2016’ in subparagraph (A)(ii) thereof.

“(B) ROUNDING.—If any amount as adjusted under subparagraph (A) is not a multiple of $10,000, such amount shall be rounded to the next lowest multiple of $10,000.

“(d) Payroll tax.—For purposes of this section, the payroll tax for any taxable year is an amount equal to the excess of the taxes imposed on the taxpayer under sections 1401, 1411, 3101, 3201, and 3211(a) (to the extent such tax is attributable to the rate of tax in effect under section 3101) with respect to such taxable year or wages or compensation received during such taxable year, over the deduction allowable under section 164(f) for such taxable year.

“(e) Special rule for estates and trusts.—For purposes of this section, in the case of an estate or trust, adjusted gross income shall be computed in the manner described in section 67(e).

“(f) Not treated as tax imposed by this chapter for certain purposes.—The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax imposed by this chapter for purposes of determining the amount of any credit under this chapter (other than the credit allowed under section 27(a)) or for purposes of section 55.”.

(b) Clerical amendment.—The table of parts for subchapter A of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new item:
“PART VIII—FAIR SHARE TAX ON HIGH-INCOME TAXPAYERS”.

(c) Effective date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2019.
House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 5-2-0-2

X YE

Sponsor: PyroTheFox
Senate Designation: SB 20-26
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 04:09:14 AM »

This needs a sponsor.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »

I'll sponsor.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »

24 hours to object to Senator PyroTheFox sponsoring this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:47:52 AM »

One quick note, while it is good have quality written bills, I would point out, that it makes it difficult to figure out what is being changed and how when it contains multiple references to texts that are not present in the bill itself.

I do worry that this causes a barrier to entry at worst and at best fuels the cycle of passive, "arm's length legislating".

Of course this is not the first time this kind of text has been used so I am not trying to dig at the sponsors here, but I do think it is appropriate at some point to discuss this format and the impact that it has.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:09:25 AM »

PyroTheFox is recognized as the sponsor and has 48 hours to speak on this bill.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »

This is a sensible measure to place a tax floor on the ultra-wealthy.
It is a fantastic start and I would implore Congress pass this law.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »

Is there any further debate on this?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »

Prima facie, I'd support a final vote on this.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 04:29:02 AM »

Are you making a final vote motion?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »

I realize this question is a little late, but what is the difference between this and the "alternative minimum tax"? Is this suppose to replace that or incorporate that in some way?

Also, as I pointed out earlier the text as written would tend to obscure the changes being made since the text it amends is actual US Code, not stated in the bill itself and finally noted link in the bill either though I imagined said linked material would be enormous. Pyro's "advocacy" also leaned more heavily towards pressing for action as opposed to explaining the contents.

But that brings me to this post by YE back in July:
This is taken from RL so there may be more compatibility issues than I’d like and may need to be sorted out.   

Has this bill been checked for this, I didn't see it being so on the House side, but I might have missed it?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:49:36 AM »

I realize this question is a little late, but what is the difference between this and the "alternative minimum tax"? Is this suppose to replace that or incorporate that in some way?

Replace I believe.

https://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/2012/02/buffett-rule-to-replace-the-alternative-minimum-tax-1.html
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:13:57 AM »

Are you making a final vote motion?

Nope, haha. Mostly waiting to see if anybody had comments to add, and just saw Yankee commented. We really should get moving on this though. Pretty much no way for this to get looked at by the GM Department as it stands, so we'll probably have to vote on this soonish I guess. I'll hold off on making the motion though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 12:30:16 AM »

What about the possible compatibility issues YE raised the specter of? This is something we can review ourselves, I would imagine without needing GM input, as opposed to say cost estimates.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »

What's going on with this?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 12:26:55 AM »

Holiday checking out, there has been a lack of substantive responses to my questions in many bills including the abortion one, the pe err circumcision one and No Moderator or Accidental Deletion...

The only concern I have left is the issues YE raised about in game conflicts with a directly derived RL bill. 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »

Still no further debate? What does the Senate want to do here?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 08:57:29 PM »

Motion for a final vote
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »

24 hours for objections to the final vote motion.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 01:13:51 AM »

A final vote has started on this bill. Senators have 72 hours to vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 03:56:11 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »

NAY

I am in favor of replacing the alternative minimum tax which this is said to do, but I just don't feel I am comfortable knowing all of what this bill does when it virtually every clause contains references to other passages not present in the text, nor linked to some offsite source making it very difficult to ascertain what is happening when the object or subject of the sentence is a referenced part of something else, concerns that I raised earlier in the debate.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp