VA/CO/NM/NV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  VA/CO/NM/NV
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will any of these states vote R again in your lifetime?
Virginia

Colorado

New Mexico

Nevada

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: VA/CO/NM/NV  (Read 2130 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:12:06 AM »

The four states which Republicans last won 15 years ago and which have remained solidly Democratic in presidential races ever since. Which of these states will vote Republican again in your lifetime, if any?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:22:46 AM »

All 4 of them in my life time

In the next 20 years either NV or CO
538Electoral

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »

If you deny any of these will vote Republican in your lifetime, especially if you're under 50, You're delusional. CO and NM could be safe Democratic within 15 years, NV and VA likely Democratic. But at some point, All 4 will vote Republican again. Why not any of them vote Republican in 2020 in fact?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:46:12 AM »

If you deny any of these will vote Republican in your lifetime, especially if you're under 50, You're delusional. CO and NM could be safe Democratic within 15 years, NV and VA likely Democratic. But at some point, All 4 will vote Republican again. Why not any of them vote Republican in 2020 in fact?

I think NM and maybe NV are pretty good bets, but I’m much more unsure about CO. I definitely don’t see VA voting Republican again in my lifetime, though (even MD and WV probably flip before VA).
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 02:07:53 AM »

"Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania won't go Republican again" is all I have to say to this. Do I think New Mexico will go red any time in the next 10-15 years? Probably not, but coalitions can change. If the GOP comes back with Hispanic voters, could happen
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »

I have no idea how the current coalitions will change in the more distant future, but I don’t see any of them flipping until there is some kind of realignment.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »

NV could plausibly flip in 2020.  The other 3 will take at least a 1988 level Republican victory in the PV. 
JG

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »

I think NM and maybe NV are pretty good bets, but I’m much more unsure about CO. I definitely don’t see VA voting Republican again in my lifetime, though (even MD and WV probably flip before VA).

How could MD flip before VA? Wouldn't MD flipping mean Democrats collapsed in the greater DC area?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »

Now this is just plain stupid.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »

Yes, and I will still scientifically be able to sire children when it happens.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »

Only if Kanye West, Kasich or Rubio runs, beyond 2028, who knows
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »

All
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »

They are all D but not THAT D. A the next "Reagan" will win at least two of them. The last chance fo Nevada is probably next year for a while, though.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »

Yes all 4(don't have terminal illness)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »

NV could plausibly flip in 2020.  The other 3 will take at least a 1988 level Republican victory in the PV.  

No, probably not.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »

Nevada is the only one that is possible in the near future, and I can only see that happening in a relatively good Republican year (like if the GOP won the popular vote).
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

NV could plausibly flip in 2020.  The other 3 will take at least a 1988 level Republican victory in the PV.  

No, probably not.

Yes, and is probably tilt D right now
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2019, 05:03:29 PM by Laki »

Virginia could vote Republican again, but Republicans will have to improve in the suburbs, and stay economically right-wing while evolving on social issues, like a neoliberal European party. If the candidate is popular and charismatic enough. They'll win Virginia back.

Nevada could happen in 2020, but I think the state is trending hard left in the future. 2020, 2024 and 2028 might be the last opportunities to flip it. But the state is heavily unionized and prepared to vote for an even more leftist candidate if the Democrats swing left, and go with Warren type candidates. It's a hard state to predict it's future, but I think it will stay a Lean / Likely D state for a long time.

Colorado and New Mexico which i didn't vote for, could very well happen as well. I think in the future Colorado is going to be harder to flip, as there is a lot of improvement for Republicans to win the conservative-leaning Hispanic population back. Although Democratic Hispanics are generally quite left-wing. Colorado also has a lot of young people coming in, and will keep trending leftwards. Young people and a decent sized population of left-wing Hispanics is going to make it keep voting left, even if some Hispanics trend rightwards, who dislike the current direction of the Democratic Party and if the GOP becomes more open for minorities, which will happen if they evolve in an European neoliberal party. But Colorado will stay a state that attract libs and young people, and will probably become a Safe D state, barring a major re-alignment which i don't see likely to happen. Same does apply for New Mexico but I think that state is trending less leftwards, and will vote Democratic for the majority of the time.

I think states like Rhode Island, Connecticut, even Vermont are all likelier to vote GOP in one of the elections in the far distant future than Colorado and New Mexico, although New Mexico COULD happen if the GOP improves a lot with Hispanics.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 06:59:06 AM »

All, unless the Republican Party should go into oblivion
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »

I think most of them will, probably VA/CO/NV at least.  The reason being that the Republican Party in its current form is not sustainable.  Trading enormously populated suburbs for 80% margins in rural areas is not a credible long term strategy.  So after they lose several elections in a national scale in the 2020's they will have to readjust (i.e., push evangelicals to the side) and become a national party again that is capable of winning states like Virginia and Colorado, which seem like good candidates to flip back in the next realignment.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »

In 2064 I'll be 87, so that's most likely the last election I'll see. So, 12 more cycles for me. In the previous 12, every state except DC has gone Republican, but the following states have never gone Democratic:

ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, ID, WY, UT, AK

These are states that, these days, are typically 20 to 50 points to the right of the nation. The following states are the Democratic counterparts, and virtually guaranteed not to flip without a major realignment:

DC, HI, VT, MA, CA, MD, NY

Do any of VA/CO/NM/NV look like they will enter that tier? No.

Here are states that almost certainly will never flip, but could in a major GOP landslide:

IL, CT, RI, NJ, DE, WA

Virginia is moving into this tier by 2024 if not in 2020. I don't expect to see it flip back in my lifetime.

I think New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado are entering a tier that includes Oregon and... Oregon. States that could flip for the right GOP candidate in the right kind of year. I think they will go R again at least once in my lifetime.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »

The GOP would never be obsolute, due to a growing 22T dollar deficit, and the need for checks and balances. That's why GOP may hold onto Senate if Trump is defeated.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »

Nevada might; the rest are too urban, educated, or minority-majority.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »

There's a contingency of working class Hispanic or business-owning, non college-educated Hispanic which is much more sympathetic to the GOP than people realize. If there's a way the culture wars can be shifted from being race-based to being more effectively education/"cosmopolitan" then NM and maybe NV could be put back into play.

CO and VA have way too many college educated voters to be competitive in a situation like this.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 12:03:11 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2019, 12:33:34 AM by Suburban Cincinnati Soccer Moms for Beshear »

In the short to medium term, Republicans are going to face some serious problems among Hispanics. In the long term Democrats are going to be in  trouble long term  if Hispanics assimilate  like the Italians,  Irish, and other ethnic whites.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies