KY, MS etc. Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY, MS etc. Results Thread (search mode)
Thread note

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY, MS etc. Results Thread  (Read 45361 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »

Gee, it's almost like incumbents with approvals in toilet usually face tough reelection odds. Shocking, right?

(Seriously, I also thought Bevin was probably favored, but the Usual Suspects' overconfidence was ridiculous as always and it's nice to see them with an egg on their face once again.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:36:46 AM »

Not to be a killjoy, but the AP still hasn't called the race. I guess there are still a substantial amount of votes to be counted?

No, there aren't.

The only reason it wasn't called is because Bevin is being a sore loser.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:48:44 AM »

There are no votes left to count as far as I'm aware. Bevin can ask for a recount, but he'd have to convince a judge that there's sufficient reason to hold one. And even if he somehow does, 0.3 point margins are almost never overturned in recounts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »

lol k
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »

If the margin were 50 votes esther than 5,000, maybe a recanvass would change things, but a margin like this isn't going to change.

From what I’ve been reading, he’s trying to prove that there were irregularities so that the Kentucky Legislature has a reason to intervene and declare Bevin the winner, like what would have happened in North Carolina in 2016 if Cooper had won by less than 10,000 votes.

Wut? The legislature can just declare a winner? I don't think this is sustainable in court if they attempted to do so without hard proof there were irregularities. Bevin should accept his defeat and move on. He screwed his term up and got what he deserved.

In both states the legislature can decide the result of a contested election with serious irregularities. That happened in North Carolina in the 2005 superintendent of public instruction election.

Who decides whether there are "serious irregularities"? The SoS doesn't seem to believe so and no serious judge would either.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »

Sawant has taken the lead in her race over Egan Orion (Amazon-Seattle). About 2k votes remain and she's leading by about 1.5k.

And the good people of Seattle defend their city from the corporate looters.

Whoever campaigned for Jill Stein in Pennsylvania deserves to lose and retire in shame for the rest of their lives.

That doesn't matter. I'm not as crazy about her as I am about AOC or Bernie (largely for the reason you mentioned), but it's either her or a literal puppet for big business.

Can't say I'm surprised that in px's mind holding years-old grudges against a kooky 3rd party candidate who won less than 1% is more important than standing up to a dystopian megacorporation that has the means and will to try to buy seats for its favored candidates. Clearly he's got his priorities straight.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:24 AM »

You guys, Jill Stein and Amazon can be, and are, simultaneously awful. Not mutually exclusive.

No one is arguing that Jill Stein isn't awful.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »

Are y'all seriously gonna argue that Amazon was dumping truck loads of cash into Orion's campaign out of principled commitments to good government or something?

When a company makes this kind of investment, they expect a return on it. If you want to defend capitalism, maybe you should learn how it works.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

Are y'all seriously gonna argue that Amazon was dumping truck loads of cash into Orion's campaign out of principled commitments to good government or something?

Easy with the strawmanning.

What I personally say is that from all the Amazon targeted councilors only Sawant came close to losing. And that's because she is a jerk and a purity troll.

And voters decided that they'd rather have a jerk and a purity troll than someone who's bought by a dystopian megacorporation. Shocking, I know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »

Easy with the strawmanning.

What I personally say is that from all the Amazon targeted councilors only Sawant came close to losing. And that's because she is a jerk and a purity troll.

And voters decided that they'd rather have a jerk and a purity troll than someone who's bought by a dystopian megacorporation. Shocking, I know.

Not shocking at all.
Staten Island voters voted for Mike Grimm.
Almost half of Alabama voters voted for a pedophile.
Depending on the constituency, being an extremist asshole can be your ticket to electoral success more often than not. 

yes, those are totally comparable instances

Oh, f**k off. I'm done with you. You're obviously not trying to make a good faith argument.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 03:01:40 AM »

I've stated over and over what my argument is. If you truly still don't get it, you must have reading comprehension issues. It's more likely that you're being intellectually dishonest because you just can't engage with it (as evidenced by you bringing up Roy Moore out of f**king nowhere), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just in case.

So, to restate. I don't know Sawant personally and it's perfectly possible that she has an abrasive personality and isn't very good at policy making. That being said, having someone with such traits in office is still the lesser evil, compared to having someone whose campaign was bankrolled by a megacorporation. You might disagree with this argument (because your politics are so vapid and shallow that they no attention to the material reality of corporate interests and their influence on politics), but it shouldn't be that f**king hard to understand.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »

So, to restate. I don't know Sawant personally and it's perfectly possible that she has an abrasive personality and isn't very good at policy making. That being said, having someone with such traits in office is still the lesser evil, compared to having someone whose campaign was bankrolled by a megacorporation. You might disagree with this argument (because your politics are so vapid and shallow that they no attention to the material reality of corporate interests and their influence on politics), but it shouldn't be that f**king hard to understand.

What matters isn't my opinion. It's the opinion of her liberal colleagues at the council and local labor leaders who obviously think the lesser evil was her opponent, and that's why they endorsed him.
Do you think they were ALL bought off by Amazon?

I don't know them and I don't care. What I do know is that Amazon clearly thought that getting Orion elected would help their bottom line. Again, you don't invest so much if you're not expecting a return.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 04:54:44 PM »

And here is why it's so hard to sympathize with the alt-left. They don't care what local people, whose lives are affected by Sawant's election and subsequent votes, think. They only care about vicariously making a statement against "evil capitalism", "the establishment", etc..
Just like the Trumpists don't care if the US goes to hell, as long their dear leader triggers the libs.

Local people, whose lives are are affected by Sawant's election and subsequent votes, chose to reelect her. But clearly some blowhard from Greece must know better than them, because having Pragmatic Centrist Smiley Smiley Smiley politics automatically makes him smarter than everyone else.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »

OK, I'm done with you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution