S.19.4-4: The Universal Self-Determination Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.4-4: The Universal Self-Determination Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.19.4-4: The Universal Self-Determination Act (Tabled)  (Read 803 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
« edited: November 21, 2019, 12:04:03 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

The Universal Self-Determination Act (The USD Act)
- Whereas the People's Republic of China has not fulfilled the 1997 Handover Agreement in allowing Hong Kongers to elect all of their legislators rather than reserving seats for business interests.
- Whereas Hong Kong does not receive an option for self-determination.
- Whereas Hong Kong does not receive the right to choose its own executive.
- Whereas Hong Kongers are being stripped of civil liberties that all people deserve.
Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting the purchase of American-made goods and the deterrence of purchase of foreign-made, particularly Chinese-made goods.
Section II) The funds for this program shall be allocated to each Southern state’s Department of Commerce or equivalent.
Section III) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section IV) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article I shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section V) Article I shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on January 1, 2020.
Article II
It is the position of this chamber to object to the withdrawal of civil liberties, including the rights of public demonstration and assembly, of Hong Kongers by the government of that city, under undue influence from the People's Republic of China.
Article III
It is the position of this chamber to request that the People's Republic of China hold a status referendum in Hong Kong. This chamber also requests that such a referendum be legally binding if a majority of Hong Kong voters participate. This chamber requests that United Nations and Carter Center election observers be present to ensure a lack of voter intimidation in a completely free and fair referendum.
Article IV
It is also the request of this Chamber that the People's Republic of China honor the 1997 Handover agreement in allowing Hong Kong citizens to elect all of their legislators, as opposed to reserving a portion of seats for pro-PRC business interests. It is also the position of this chamber to request that the People's Republic of China (PRC) allow Hong Kong to elect its own executive without influence from the PRC. This chamber requests that Hong Kongers be able to determine their own future, even into 2047 and onward.
Article V
It is the position of this Chamber to request the Nyman government to enact a similar bill. It is the position of this Chamber to urge the Nyman government to seriously consider an end to CAFTA, most-favored-nation status with the PRC and the beginning of economic sanctions against the PRC due to the situation in Hong Kong.
Sponsor: West Midlander
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:36:33 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2019, 11:43:33 PM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

I think it is the place of this body to object to the PRC's treatment of Hong Kong and its citizens. I don't think this bill is controversial but I would like to hear what my fellow delegates have to say on this piece of legislation.

EDIT: I would also like to thank the Speaker for being proactive in putting multiple pieces of legislation on the floor at once.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:57:02 AM »

Fellow Delegates,

While I agree with the sentiments in this bill, I'm not sold on the idea (implicit in this bill) that it's the jurisdiction of the Southern Government to engage in foreign policy by proxy. However as a Patriot I believe it is good for us to promote Southern Products and Southern businesses. Maybe this should be split into two bills. A "Buy Southern Goods" Campaign and a "We encourage the Federal Government to condemn and take action over the treatment of Hong Kong by the People's Republic of China" resolution.

Quote from: possible amendments to the bill
- Whereas the People's Republic of China has not fulfilled the 1997 Handover Agreement in allowing Hong Kongers to elect all of their legislators rather than reserving seats for business interests.
- Whereas Hong Kongers are being stripped of civil liberties that all people deserve.
Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting the purchase of South AtlasianAmerican-made goods and the deterrence of purchase of foreign-made, particularly Chinese-made goods.
Section II) The funds for this program shall be allocated to each Southern state’s Department of Commerce or equivalent.
Section III) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section IV) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article I shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section V) Article I shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on January 1, 2020.
Article II
It is the position of this chamber to object to the withdrawal of civil liberties, including the rights of public demonstration and assembly, of Hong Kongers by the government of that city, under undue influence from the People's Republic of China.
Article III
It is the position of this chamber to request that the People's Republic of China hold a status referendum in Hong Kong. This chamber also requests that such a referendum be legally binding if a majority of Hong Kong voters participate. This chamber requests that United Nations and Carter Center election observers be present to ensure a lack of voter intimidation in a completely free and fair referendum.
Article IV
It is also the request of this Chamber that the People's Republic of China honor the 1997 Handover agreement in allowing Hong Kong citizens to elect all of their legislators, as opposed to reserving a portion of seats for pro-PRC business interests. It is also the position of this chamber to request that the People's Republic of China (PRC) allow Hong Kong to elect its own executive without influence from the PRC. This chamber requests that Hong Kongers be able to determine their own future, even into 2047 and onward.
Article V
It is the position of this Chamber to request the Nyman government to enact a similar bill. It is the position of this Chamber to urge the Nyman government to seriously consider an end to CAFTA, most-favored-nation status with the PRC and the beginning of economic sanctions against the PRC due to the situation in Hong Kong.
Add
Remove

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »

Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting the purchase of South AtlasianAmerican-made goods and the deterrence of purchase of foreign-made, particularly Chinese-made goods.
Article II
Article III
Article IV
Article V
Add
Remove
I second this amendment.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:19:33 AM »

Quote from: Amendments to the USD Act
Article I
Article II
Article III
Article IV
Article V
Add
Remove

24 hours for objections. If there are no objections this will be the official version of the bill.

I will accept proxies in favor of the amendments, in the event of an objection.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:47:18 AM »

Motioning for a final vote if there are no objections as debate has died down.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:21:23 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2019, 08:34:25 AM by Southern Speaker Muaddib »

I object to a final vote in this instance because I would like a response to my point in my earlier thoughts on foreign policy by proxy.

While I agree with the sentiments in this bill, I'm not sold on the idea (implicit in this bill) that it's the jurisdiction of the Southern Government to engage in foreign policy by proxy.

I think this is a point worth discussing. I'm happy to withdraw my objection and to then 2nd the motion once there is some discussion.

I am interested if the Governor, both Southern Senators & House Reps from the South, have views on this to respond. I am also happy with a delegates only discussion. Unfortunately it looks like it's just you and me, Westie. It would be sad if the 16th southern chamber's discussion could simply be held by the two of us DMing each other.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »

Frankly I am skeptical it's in our place to pass a law of this sort. We aren't the federal government.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »

I'd fully support this at the federal level where it belongs, however it does seem out of place to push this at the regional level.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 01:28:31 AM »

I agree with the above opinions. I'm strongly anti China but this is better at being handled federally. Actually I'll introduce something like this in the senate soon - if it doesn't pass then by all means go ahead with this.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 06:35:30 AM »

Considering the views of the Chamber and our Federal Southern Officials, I think I might be best if the current bill is tabled. I am happy to co-sponsor of two separate bills with Delegate West Midlander as per my original statement.

Quote from: Southern Delegate and Deputy Speaker, Muaddib
A "Buy Southern Goods" Campaign and a "We encourage the Federal Government to condemn and take action over the treatment of Hong Kong by the People's Republic of China" resolution.

1st for Patriotic Purchasing which promotes Southern Products over those produced in foreign workshops outside of Atlasia and the south in particular.

Quote from: Promoting Patriotic Purchasing
Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting the purchase of South Atlasian made goods and the deterrence of purchase of foreign-made, particularly Chinese-made goods.

2nd, a resolution encouraging the Federal Government up in Nyman to stand up for the value of self determination.

Quote from: The Value of Self Determination Resolution
It is the position of this Chamber to urge the Federal government in Nyman to seriously consider an end to CAFTA, most-favored-nation status with the PRC and the beginning of economic sanctions against the PRC due to the situation in Hong Kong.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:20:48 AM »

Points are taken. Let's table this and I'll reintroduce as the bills Muaddib suggested when I get home.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »

Points are taken. Let's table this and I'll reintroduce as the bills Muaddib suggested when I get home.

Mate, I've added them to the queue. :thumbs up:

Quote from: Promoting Patriotic Purchasing
Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting the purchase of South Atlasian made goods and the deterrence of purchase of foreign-made, particularly Chinese-made goods.
Sponsors: Delegate Muaddib, Delegate West_Midlander

Quote from: The Value of Self Determination Resolution
It is the position of this Chamber to urge the Federal government in Nyman to seriously consider an end to CAFTA, most-favored-nation status with the PRC and the beginning of economic sanctions against the PRC due to the situation in Hong Kong.
Sponsors: Delegate Muaddib, Delegate West_Midlander
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 06:29:22 AM »

Bump. If one more delegate seconds the motion to table this. (Muaddib suggested tabling, then I did. Then we can have a cloture vote to table).

Quote from: Standing Rules of the Southern Chamber of Delegates
Any Delegate may file a motion to table a piece of legislation during debate. The presiding officer shall open a vote on the motion to table when at least two other Delegates have seconded the motion. A two thirds majority is required for the approval of the motion to table.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 12:54:25 AM »

In future all things considered (with the [IN]Activity of the chamber) this might be quicker.

Quote from: Standing Rules of the Southern Chamber of Delegates - SECTION V
2.) The sponsor of a piece of legislation may at any time withdraw his or her sponsorship. In addition, when the sponsor is no longer a Delegate, his or her sponsorship shall be revoked automatically. If no member of the Chamber of Delegates moves to assume sponsorship of the legislation within 48 hours, the legislation shall be tabled automatically.

However as I'm here and as the deputy Speaker, since there have been no objections;
Voting to Table  S.19.4-4: The Universal Self-Determination Act is now open.
Voting is 48 Hours or until all delegates have voted which ever comes first.

Voting Options are:
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 01:31:04 AM »

Allow me to throw a spanner in the works here at the last minute by saying I don't think this is actually problematic. For the one thing if my reading is correct, it only seeks to persuade people within a particular region (namely the South) to not buy goods from a particular source and to instead buy local. You can argue about the wisdom of this on its own merits, but in terms of legality and appropriateness within the Federal System, I think this is perfectly fine in that regards.

I think the region should have no problem on this score anyway in terms of leveraging purchasing power towards achieving a particular goal.

Now one thing of note is that I would recommend that care be taken to ensure that the boycott of "Chinese goods" excludes goods from Honk Kong itself.

If the Chamber decides to pair it back on the grounds that the advertising is to in your face, I also don't see any problem with the region declaring its opinions on the matter. Granted it doesn't carry the weight of the Federal gov'ts influence but, in terms of say influencing its Senators to then push for a particular action, a resolution stating such an opinion is thus I think likewise appropriate and possibly even healthy for the game from a playable perspective.

I would recommend reviewing these potential options and certainly I would think that tabling is premature.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 02:31:27 AM »

Thank you Senator, North Carolina Yankee. Of course the chamber has the ability to vote down the tabling of this bill. Should the chamber wish to continue discussion in light of your comments. However, it seems that the consensus by and large expressed so far in this Chamber, including our Federal Representatives in both houses is that two separate bills would be the best option.

Possible amendment is to merge these two parts back and remove the sections that are already taken out.
Quote from: Promoting Patriotic Purchasing & Self Determination
Article I

Article II

I think the merits of separating the "Buy Southern" and "Self Determination" elements avoids any potential and falsely perceived notions of over extension on the part of the Southern Government.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 06:54:05 AM »

Thank you, Senator NC Yankee, for your words of wisdom. I think it would be wise to vote down the tabling motion and proceed with an amendment on top of Muaddib's suggestion.

[   ] Aye
[X] Nay
[   ] Abstain
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:06:43 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2019, 07:26:04 AM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

I think Muaddib's amendment sufficiently removes any possibility for misinterpretation that the Southern government is claiming any national sovereignty.

My suggested amendment (below) on top of Muaddib's suggestions. I suppose I'm pre-filing it, to come to the floor for objections after the vote for tabling closes if it is unsuccessful.
Quote from: Promoting Patriotic Purchasing & Self Determination
Article I

Article II
It is the position of this Chamber to urge the Federal government in Nyman to seriously consider an end to CAFTA, most-favored-nation status with the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the beginning of economic sanctions against the PRC due that government's actions in Hong Kong, in the South China Sea, in The Republic of China (Taiwan), in Tibet, toward its own people, and toward the Uygurs of Xinjiang.

I would hope the Nyman government would take up an iteration of the original Articles II through IV, but I suppose it is best to leave them out at the regional level.

Referencing the added regions:

In the South China Sea, the PRC has built artificial islands to expand legitimacy to their claim to the area, expanding aggressively to realize a weak claim it had on one map over 70 years ago as the Republic of China over top the claims of smaller countries.

See the PRC's claim in the pink dotted line and the claim of other countries.

Source: Business Insider/Reuters

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:24:56 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2019, 07:29:02 AM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

One issue I will mention now is the importation of censorship on American companies like the NBA in order to do business in the PRC. The richest country on Earth should be no other nation's lap dog.

I'm not well versed in the situation in Macau but the people in that city should have self-determination as well, as should be outlined in a later iteration of a bill addressing the PRC situation, in Nyman.

US Aircraft carriers regularly pass through the Taiwan straits in a show of arms to protect that nation. The religious are brutally repressed throughout Tibet, Xinjiang, and the rest of the PRC. (The Uygurs are a Muslim minority group prominent in Xinjiang). The situation is so severe the Dalai Lamai has had to flee to India and the PRC has its own alternate Dalai Lamai that supports the regime and is appointed by the Communist Party. The protests in Hong Kong are so extensive because the people in that city fear the PRC's encroachment means a lack of freedom of speech, of assembly, of religion, etc, etc, etc. as is the case in the PRC, itself. Just two brutalities of the PRC that come to mind are the infamous Tiananmen Square Massacre and the one-child policy which is incredibly terrible and the two-child policy that barely improves the situation for many Chinese. Chinese families sometimes go into hiding because a couple becomes pregnant with their second, now third, child. In some localities, families are fined incredibly if the child limit is exceeded. In other localities, children born past the child limit are not allowed birth certificates and so can't drive, work, etc. There are millions of invisible, undocumented, stateless people in the PRC. In concurrence with the child limit, pregnancy tests are mandatory in the PRC, every month. In other localities, abortions are mandatory past the child limit, even at nine months if the pregnancy is discovered late. The PRC and its system, its oppression that it wishes to push onto other countries, other peoples, is horrific.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »

Vote to table:
[ x ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 01:45:07 AM »

One issue I will mention now is the importation of censorship on American companies like the NBA in order to do business in the PRC.

They are self censoring for fear of a Chinese market backlash. It doesn't even have to be the People's Republic of China's government for them to feel the need censor themselves. One Billion people is a massive market.

...The PRC and its system, its oppression that it wishes to push onto other countries, other peoples, is horrific.

Indeed and you should quote your post for when the Federal Government debates a sanction bill

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2019, 08:05:11 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

The CPC needs to vigorously opposed using a mix of economic measures aimed at harming their access to financial markets and related objectives; defensive measures aimed at their territorial claims via vigorous defending our allies and partners in the region, such as the Philippines, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and India, and a broader geopolitical strategy that keeps powers like Pakistan and Burma from becoming unflinchingly hostile.
However, it's not something for Southern legislators to deal with. The feds are responsible for this.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »

I'm voting Aye on the tabling.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 01:52:51 AM »

FYI, from a GM perspective, if this bill is passed China is certain to retaliate, and probably disproportionately.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies