Should auto insurance be mandatory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:22:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should auto insurance be mandatory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (other)

No (other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Should auto insurance be mandatory?  (Read 5852 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:11:48 AM »

I think third-party insurance should be mandatory, to protect the rights of whoever else gets involved in an auto accident. But I'm not sure anything else should be mandatory since some may prefer not having to pay expensive premiums. Here in BC all auto insurance is mandatory and is run by the ICBC, a corporation owned by the provincial government. Most other provinces in Canada except Alberta, where auto insurance is privatized, have similar programs. Should it be mandatory? Also, how much do you pay for it? Have you ever been involved in an accident?

My parents tell me a few months before I was born they ran a red light and crashed. Had it not been for the fact they braked strong enough I would not exist as a human Sad

Also, my mom crashed at an intersection on September 11, 2001.

In December 2003 my dad skidded on a twisty highway when it was snowing, causing him to hit a tree, which ironically stopped him from falling off a precipice (it was the Malahat for Gabu).
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:16:18 AM »

Liability, yes.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:16:56 AM »

No, at least not for those who cannot afford it. Insurance is a rip-off.

In the U.S., all auto insurance is privatized by for-profit corporations, so it's a big rip-off.

In America, mandatory insurance means many cannot even afford to own a car, when they otherwise would have been able to.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:19:03 AM »

No (D), it's not fair to make the rich who don't need insurance pay for it, and poors who can't afford it shouldn't have to pay, provided they know they're responsible if they're responsible for an accident.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:46:43 AM »

third party, yes. Others, no. Non-third party insurance should be privatised.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »

No, of course not.  If you are a poor you are judgement-proof - why should you have insurance?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »

I actually support mandatory third-party coverage.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2006, 04:50:18 PM by David S »

Liability insurance yes. I don't remember the cost for that portion of it.

To answer your 3rd question, I've been in 3 accidents over the past half century. None involved injuries, although the last one was pretty severe, over $10,000 damage to the Jeep. A woman pulled out of a parking lot in front of me and I did not have room to stop. I was traveling the speed limit which is 45mph. Its funny the things you think of in that 1 or 2 seconds before the crash. Since I have been involved in crash testing while employed in the auto industry, my first thought was : the Jeep is not designed for a 45mph crash I better slow down.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 04:28:23 PM »

ALL INSURANCE MUST BE MANDATORY.  It is going to pay my salary. Cheesy
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:25:07 AM »

No, of course not.  If you are a poor you are judgement-proof - why should you have insurance?

What happens if one poor person hits the car of another poor person who is stationary. Who pays to repair the stationary car?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 08:44:04 AM »

What happens if one poor person hits the car of another poor person who is stationary. Who pays to repair the stationary car?

No one.  They're poor = no money.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 09:41:36 AM »

No one.  They're poor = no money.

Hence all the beat-up cars driving around.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »

hhhmm. Im torn on this one. Someone needs to prove thier point to me, cause im not sure.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »

Insurance is state run over there?
Wow, what totalitarism.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 08:45:29 PM »

Insurance is state run over there?
Wow, what totalitarism.

No, insurabce is privately run. However, to operate a motor vehicle you must carry a minimum amount of insurance. It's not really any different than saying if a carnival wants to run in a city park, the operator has to show proof of a minimum amount of liability insurance.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »

No.

Poors can't pay for it.  So now we keep them off the road?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 09:24:58 PM »

Quit using opebospeak.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 08:24:34 AM »

hhhmm. Im torn on this one. Someone needs to prove thier point to me, cause im not sure.

I think auto insurance should be mandatory.

Operating a car is tremendously risky, both to the driver and to the others who happen to be in his/her path.

In order to protect those unknown people who happen to cross the path of many drivers every day, in the best possible way, those drivers must be able to handle the potential financial consequences of their actions behind the wheel.

Some states allow a person to post a bond with the commissioner of motor vehicles, in lieu of insurance.  In either case, if a person hits your car or, worse, injures you, you have a right to expect some type of compensation from that person.  Insurance allows this to happen if the person who hit you is unable to provide compensation on his/her own.

There is a more subtle effect, too, in the sense that the knowledge that irresponsible driving will cost you financially will lead most people to be better drivers.  Good drivers without a lot of tickets or accidents will pay less for insurance than those who go around hitting things or people (though I shouldn't define 'good drivers' as those who don't get tickets since I do get tickets on occasion Tongue ).  A big part of the cost of tickets is not the fine, but the added insurance cost a driver may get whacked with for 3 years (though I have through some stroke of luck avoided this with all my tickets -- you can if you are lucky and know how to play the system right).

In any case, I think it would be chaos to allow people to operate vehicles that can easily cause hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage, without requiring them to put in place some mechanism to cover the cost of any damage they may do.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »

My parents tell me a few months before I was born they ran a red light and crashed. Had it not been for the fact they braked strong enough I would not exist as a human Sad

Also, my mom crashed at an intersection on September 11, 2001.

In December 2003 my dad skidded on a twisty highway when it was snowing, causing him to hit a tree, which ironically stopped him from falling off a precipice (it was the Malahat for Gabu).

Aren't you Asian? Cheesy
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 06:53:16 PM »

No, and Pennsylvania needs to change that law right away.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 01:37:15 AM »

Absolutely not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 10:39:45 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2006, 11:53:12 AM by JustJeff »

Yes. If you knew how many uninsured mexicans are driving around here and who are lousy drivers you wouldn't blame the state for making us carry insurance. Its also good to carry uninsured insurance as well.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »

Yes. If you knew how many uninsured mexicans are driving around here with no insurance and who are lousy drivers you wouldn't blame the state for making us carry insurance. Its also good to carry uninsured insurance as well.

I completely agree, States.

BTW, how's everything going, man?  We haven't spoken in a while.  Who are you going for in the NFL playoffs?  Of course, I'm going for the Pats. Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 11:53:50 AM »

Yes. If you knew how many uninsured mexicans are driving around here with no insurance and who are lousy drivers you wouldn't blame the state for making us carry insurance. Its also good to carry uninsured insurance as well.

I completely agree, States.

BTW, how's everything going, man?  We haven't spoken in a while.  Who are you going for in the NFL playoffs?  Of course, I'm going for the Pats. Tongue

Patriots I suppose but if the Colts got it it wouldn't matter to me either way. I'm a college fan more then No Fun League.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »

yes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies