SENATE BILL: The No Moderator or Accidental Invalidation Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:05:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The No Moderator or Accidental Invalidation Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The No Moderator or Accidental Invalidation Amendment (Passed)  (Read 2760 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:51:50 AM »
« edited: March 05, 2020, 02:37:15 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Senate Resolution
To allow exceptions to duplicate voting for the purposes of moderator deletion or accidental invalidation

Be it Resolved by 2/3rds in Both Houses of Congress, that when ratified by 2/3rds of the Regions, Article I, Section IV of the 4th constitution shall be amended to read as follows:

The right of citizens of the Republic of Atlasia to vote shall not be denied, except in regards to persons whose account is fewer than 168 hours old, as punishment for crimes of which the accused has been duly convicted, or in consequence of failing to meet such requirements for frequent posting or term of residency as may be established by law; but no ballot shall be counted as valid that should list the candidates for office in a script other than the Latin alphabet, or that has been edited more than twenty minutes after its posting in the voting booth. All posts made in the voting booth shall be considered as ballots, and no citizen shall cast multiple ballots in any one election during the period the voting booth is open, upon penalty of the invalidation of their vote, unless:

1. Evidence exists that the first ballot submitted by the citizen was deleted by a Moderator or Administrator of the Atlas Forum, or

2. The second ballot submitted was clearly accidental as it only lists contests not up for election within the thread it was posted on, in which case only the first ballot shall be counted, or:

3. The second ballot submitted was clearly accidental as it is identical to the first ballot and was submitted within five minutes of the first ballot, in which case only the first ballot shall be counted.  

However, in no circumstances shall a user be allowed to cast a third or subsequent ballot in any election, upon penalty of invalidation of all ballots submitted.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: MB
Senate Designation: SR21:02

And before anyone freaks about the formatting change, 1) this looks better and 2) even if this had passed the House previously, the body text is unchanged and thus it still counts as joint passage.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:53:16 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy for this Resolution and the other members have 48 hours to commence a response.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 02:06:32 AM »

Is this the original version or the version the House voted down?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 02:21:23 AM »

Is this the original version or the version the House voted down?
Original version.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:51 AM »

We seemed to have struggled with this to it mildly, I think that if we want to get anything done here it would be best for the members to state where they are at explicitly and what they are willing to support on this.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »

This has my full support.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »

What happened to the amended version? The objections I raised the first time this passed the Senate still stand.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:27:45 PM »

What happened to the amended version? The objections I raised the first time this passed the Senate still stand.

This is the problem with blindly cutting up old Wulfric bills.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »

This is one of those things that without some assertive and pro-active effort taken, is going to keep getting bounced back and forth.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 12:53:02 AM »

Okay since we know some things for certain now, I can now discuss some things publicly.

The simple fact of the matter is while presently my objective is to preserve ballots as much as possible, I cannot ensure that any ballot containing a TOS violation will be counted because in the eyes of the Atlas and such TOS compliance is insisted upon the votes are just another post subject to the same rules. My hands are somewhat tied in this regards and I am not the only board mod here.

Therefore as board moderator I strongly urge the Senators to work towards getting this done.

To begin with what happened to the amended version?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 01:05:18 AM »

House version failed 5-4 on a party line vote IIRC.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »

What tipped the balance for failure?

I assume some of those members are gone now?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 01:14:07 AM »

I say we start from there and then negotiate/bribe our way to a majority.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 01:16:31 AM »

Well Labor now has this fun thing called a 6th seat so I’d say chances of success are better this go around.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 01:20:43 AM »

Well Labor now has this fun thing called a 6th seat so I’d say chances of success are better this go around.

What was the text that was voted on? Did it satisfy Truman's concerns?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »

What was the text that was voted on? Did it satisfy Truman's concerns?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=327716.msg6922828#msg6922828

I highly doubt Truman had concerns about that because I would remember if he did.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »

Would members, sponsors be agreeable to amending it this, at least as a starting point? Truman your thoughts?

Quote from: Failed House Text
SENATE RESOLUTION
To amend the Constitution to allow for limited Congressional input on vote invalidation, specifically with regards to double posting

Be it Resolved in both Houses of Congress Assembled,
Double Posting Leniency Resolution

Article I, Section IV of the Fourth Constitution is Amended as follows:
The right of citizens of the Republic of Atlasia to vote shall not be denied, except with regard to persons whose accounts is fewer than 168 hours old, as punishment for crimes of which the accused has been duly convicted, or in consequence of failing failure to meet such requirements for frequent posting, or term of residency, or the construction and revision of ballots as may be established by law; but no ballot shall be counted as valid that should list the candidates for office in a script other than the Latin alphabet, or that has been edited more than twenty minutes after its posting in the voting booth. All posts made in the voting booth shall be considered as ballots, and no citizen shall cast multiple ballots in any one election during the period the voting booth is open, upon penalty of the invalidation of their vote. Congress shall have power to make all needful rules governing the resolution of duplicate ballots and such other controversies as may arise, except as otherwise limited by this Constitution.

Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This text amends Article I, Section IV of the Fourth Constitution to allow for greater congressional authority into the regulations concerning voter invalidation, particularly with regards to the issue of posting multiple times in the voting booth. The amendment also cleans up some text issues and removes some of the explicit reasons why an amendment may be invalidated contained with the current constitutional text, likewise to facilitate said congressional authority.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

1. If the above amendment is ratified, the following legislative fix shall take effect:

Section 1 of the Federal Electoral Act shall be amended as follows:

Section 1: Votes
1. In their vote in the Elections to the House and the Presidency, each voter shall list some, none, or all of the candidates in the voter's order of preference for them.
2. If no numbering of the preferences is stated, then the candidate at the top of the list shall be presumed to be the first preference, the candidate on the second line of the list shall be presumed to be the second preference, and so on.
3. A voter may cast a write-in vote in any election, except a runoff election.
4. In order to write-in a candidate, the voter shall not be required to explicitly specify that their vote is for a write-in candidate.
5. In order for write-in votes for a candidate to qualify as countable votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election.
6. A voter may vote for "None of the Above" in any election, except a runoff election. Any voter may vote "None of the Above"; any and all lower preferences of the voter shall be ignored.
7. Persons who edit their post in which their vote(s) are contained at the place of voting after twenty minutes shall have their vote counted as void.
      a. All replies shall count as Ballots, even if later deleted, and no voter shall cast multiple ballots in an election, unless:
       I.  Evidence exists that the first ballot submitted by the citizen was deleted by a Moderator or Administrator of the Atlas Forum, or
   II. The second ballot submitted is identical to the first ballot and was submitted within five minutes of the first ballot, in which case only the first ballot shall be counted. 
   a-2. In all other cases, including all cases of casting a third or subsequent ballot, the casting of multiple ballots results in the invalidation of all of the user's votes in that election.

8. No ballot cast in a script other than the Latin Alphabet shall be counted as valid.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:05 PM »

Looks good to me!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 01:46:01 AM »

Okay then, I offer the above as an amendment, Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 02:23:44 AM »

The amendment is adopted.

Okay before we proceed, is everyone comfortable with the attached bill? Does that need to be changed in light of the bills Sestak wrote?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 11:19:11 PM »

Yeah looks like it needs some change.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »

Am I to understand it correctly that the Electoral Act has not been passed yet? I didn't see it in the write house thread anywhere.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »

I would assume based on my reading of the situation that the electoral act merely needs an up or down vote in this chamber correct and thus is unlikely to be changed further? Therefore is safe to modify this based on that text even though it hasn't signed? I mean what are the chances of it being voted down or vetoed? 0%?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »

I would assume based on my reading of the situation that the electoral act merely needs an up or down vote in this chamber correct and thus is unlikely to be changed further? Therefore is safe to modify this based on that text even though it hasn't signed? I mean what are the chances of it being voted down or vetoed? 0%?

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies