Atlasia Attitudes Survey and other things - Finally, some more results!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:32:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia Attitudes Survey and other things - Finally, some more results!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasia Attitudes Survey and other things - Finally, some more results!  (Read 960 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2020, 05:59:50 PM by Clyde1998 »

Seeing as I'm back in the game, I might as well start polling again. Wink

This is a bit different from the usual polling that's done. It gives the respondents statements and asks whether they agree or disagree with them across a range of topics.

The plan is to ask exactly the same questions at regular intervals going forward to see if opinions on Atlasia changes over time, however I can add and remove questions should there be demand for it and I could ask some questions less regularly than others.

The statements posed are not (necessarily) my views, rather the statements are to see the views of Atlasia at-large and if there are any divisions between parties and regions on certain issues. I hope that this could cause the nature of election campaigns to change by helping people can identify wedge issues in Atlasia - which could liven debates.

Because of the amount of issues raised, this survey has a lot more questions compared to others on this site. However, because all of the questions are asking people to respond to a statement on a five-point agree or disagree scale, it shouldn't take as long to complete as you may initially think.

The survey is here: https://forms.gle/ntRW3jGC1vk6Exp59

In addition to this, I'm planning on running a series of focus groups and one-to-one interviews on Discord in the near future in order to get some more detailed views to some of these issues, and others, to enable identification of why people hold certain opinions - not just what their opinion is. It could also see some issues raised that others (including myself) may not have considered.

I'll invariably end up doing voting intention polling as well closer to the next set of elections.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »

Well if the GM won’t do their job, I am glad that your asking the right questions to move Atlasian politician to act.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »

Very comprehensive, good job!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

I voted, also a great survey, one of the most in-depth that I have ever filled out
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

C'est superbe!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 04:50:44 PM »

Awesome poll!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »

What a brilliant poll! It really is such a massive improvement over the usual poor quality polling.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »

Note that North Korea is a democracy in the Atlasiaverse.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »

Done
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 12:33:43 AM »

Thank you to everyone who's completed the survey and for the positive feedback! The survey is still open for anyone who hasn't done it yet.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »

The survey has been left open, so please take part if you haven't yet. The more people who take the survey, the more accurate the results are. I can adjust the numbers accordingly.

Also, I know there's a lot of text below - even though it's not a complete analysis of the first section. I will put some graphs up in the coming days to make this easier to understand and read, I just want to get some results out. Smiley

Section 1: Economic and Social Positions (Part 1)
Background
Section one of the survey gave respondents a series of statements related to some general economic and social issues and asked how much they agreed with them. These were taken directly from the British & Scottish Social Attitudes Surveys and the average response to the five or six relevant questions is used to place respondents on two spectra - one that identifies their economic position (left-right) and one that places their social position (authoritarian-libertarian).

A 'strongly agree' to a question increases a respondents score, with a higher average indicating the respondent is more left-wing or authoritarian (depending on the question). An average of 4.25 or greater is considered 'strongly' left-wing or authoritarian, between 4.25 and 3.5 is considered 'slightly' left-wing or authoritarian, between 3.5 and 2.5 is centrist, between 2.5 and 1.75 is 'slightly' right-wing or libertarian and 1.75 or fewer is 'strongly' right-wing or libertarian.

It's important to note that the political centre can move over time as people's opinions shift. An example is that Scotland, using the same questions, had 14% of people considered 'strongly' left-wing and 25% of people considered 'strongly' right-wing in 2005, but 35% 'strongly' left-wing and 13% 'strongly' right-wing in 2011.[1]

The purpose for this section was to see if there was a division answers to questions across the spectrum and to see how Atlasia's parties fit on the scale. Additionally, with future surveys, it could be used to see how Atlasia's position, in general, has moved over time.

Atlasia's overall position
Atlasia can be best described as 'slightly' left-wing and 'slightly' libertarian; Atlasia's average score was 3.85 on the economic scale and 2.49 on the social scale, indicating that Atlasia is more left-wing than libertarian. No respondent scored as 'strongly' right-wing, nor 'strongly' authoritarian, while only 12% scored 'slightly' right-wing and 11% 'slightly' authoritarian.

In line with the earlier statement: 39% were 'strongly' left-wing, 23% 'slightly' left-wing and 26% economic centrists, while 26% were 'strongly' libertarian, 29% 'slightly' libertarian and 34% social centrists.

When grouping the two, 23% are 'strongly' left-wing and 'strongly' libertarian, 17% are centrists on both scales and 14% are 'strongly' left-wing and 'slightly' libertarian.

In a relative sense, therefore, the spectra are collapsed with the 'centrists' being the furthest away from the extreme left-wing or libertarian groups on both scales due to the lack of right-wing or authoritarian in Atlasia. This is likely to reflect general society however, with 18-30 year olds in English speaking countries (Atlasia's core demographic) being more likely than the general public to be left-wing and libertarian.

Party divisions
Unsurprisingly, the parties break down these economic and social divisions. The right-wing parties in Atlasia (Federalists, ACP) see their members hold centrist views on both issues, while the left-wing parties (Labour, Peace) see their members hold strong left-wing views and slight libertarian views (Peace members hold strong libertarian views).

Members of other parties and independents are generally closer to the left-wing parties on economic issues, but closer to the right-wing parties on social issues when viewed in a principle sense.

Left-Wing Parties: Economic: 4.45; Social 1.94
Right-Wing Parties: Economic: 3.01; Social: 3.01
Others and Independents: Economic: 3.89; Social: 2.78

Regional splits
Something that may surprise people is that the South holds the most economically left-wing views, despite having a larger registration of people in right-wing parties. This seems to be explained by Labour members holding stronger left-wing views than their counterparts elsewhere in the country.

Fremont holds the most libertarian views, perhaps to be expected with the lack of people from the Federalists in the region.

Lincoln holds the most right-wing and authoritarian views in Atlasia, however all regions fit the 'slightly' left-wing category and only Lincoln isn't in the 'slightly' libertarian category, being socially centrist.

Fremont: Economic: 4.10; Social: 2.28
Lincoln: Economic 3.50; Social: 2.66
South: Economic: 4.13; Social: 2.42

Notes: The results are weighted by party and region (interlocked) to ensure an even result based on the most recent Census (16 Nov). The Atlasia Conservative Party and the Federalists are grouped as 'rightist parties', Labour and Peace are grouped as 'leftist parties' and all other parties and independents are grouped as 'others'. This means that there are nine weights used in the final results: 'rightist parties' in each region, 'leftist parties' in each region and 'others' in each region. Due to the lack of 'rightist' respondents from Fremont, an average of 'rightist' respondents from the other regions in used in their place.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »

Can't wait for the graphs. Good work Clyde!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »

Sorry about the delay with getting the results out, the UK election has taken up quite a bit of my time recently.

I've mapped the responses to a score for each statement. 5 being 'strongly agree', 4 'agree', 3 'neither agree nor disagree', 2 'disagree', 1 'strongly disagree'. Where percentages don't add up to 100%, this indicates responses of 'don't know' to a question - which aren't shown below.

These are the headline results of the next couple of sections of the survey.

Federal-Regional Balance
Statement54321NET: AgreeNET: DisagreeAverage
Federal institutions should have more power than regional institutions8.3%29.6%24.0%22.8%15.4%37.8%38.1%2.93
Regions should be able to become independent of Atlasia13.3%13.3%19.4%21.5%32.5%26.5%54.1%2.53
More decisions should be made at a regional level14.8%38.4%30.9%13.5%2.4%53.2%15.9%3.50
More offices should exist at a regional level than at a federal level10.9%36.7%18.3%18.2%12.4%47.5%30.5%3.16
Regional legislatures should be able to veto federal legislation with a unanimous vote13.1%7.6%24.3%26.8%28.2%20.8%55.0%2.51

The Executive and the Legislature
Statement54321NET: AgreeNET: DisagreeAverage
The President and executive should have more power than the legislature3.4%12.5%13.2%43.0%27.9%15.8%70.9%2.20
The head of state should be a member of the federal legislature6.3%14.0%16.7%43.6%19.4%20.3%63.0%2.53
Members of the cabinet, excluding non-partisan positions, should be members of the federal legislature4.6%14.8%31.9%28.5%17.7%19.4%46.2%2.59
The Presidency should be abolished1.2%0.0%15.3%39.6%42.5%1.2%82.2%1.76
Control of the Presidency is more important than control of the legislature14.3%21.7%20.1%26.0%18.0%36.0%44.0%2.88
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

Members of the cabinet can already be selected from among the members of Congress. it has been that way for years and was so preset reset for years as well.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 06:49:23 PM by Clyde1998 »

After a long delay, let's get some more data out!

This PDF contains the responses from 58 questions with responses broken down by region, party and an overall share.

If anyone has any questions about the results, feel free to ask. Smiley

[EDIT: Just for clarity, there are still 40 more questions to publish.]
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »

I could have sworn you asked a question related to if Palestine had a right to exist in the event of a Two State Solution. Where is it?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 06:48:49 PM »

I could have sworn you asked a question related to if Palestine had a right to exist in the event of a Two State Solution. Where is it?
That's in the last set of questions I need to put out - there are 40 I haven't put out yet.

The overall numbers for that one was Strongly Agree [Palestine should be considered separate from Israel] 39.3%; Agree 27.6%; Neither 24.7%; Disagree 2.4%; Strongly Disagree 6.0%.

The rest of the questions should be out tomorrow, along with the regional/party figures for that question.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 11:54:36 PM »

The responses to the final list of questions is here: https://bit.ly/3eVGC31
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:51 AM »

Surprised to see my region so in favour of Catalan independence Tongue Maybe I should switch to Oriol Junqueras as my persona or something lol

Also surprised to see Labor as the more unionist party on that issue, though the partisan difference is small
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies