(Google Consumer Surveys) NH: Warren 27% Buttigieg 24% Sanders 19% Biden 17%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:30:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  (Google Consumer Surveys) NH: Warren 27% Buttigieg 24% Sanders 19% Biden 17%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (Google Consumer Surveys) NH: Warren 27% Buttigieg 24% Sanders 19% Biden 17%  (Read 719 times)
amdcpus
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »

I ran a poll of Utah before the 2016 election using Google Consumer Surveys and was surprisingly fairly close. I decided to do so again for this primary, and will run the poll again a few days before the election.

This poll should not have too much stock put into it, but should give a general idea, ie, it seems like a 4 way race.

They are fairly expensive, if I chose to put a screening question like "Are you a Democrat/Independent who plans to vote in the NH primary this year?" before the actual poll, it would have cost 10 times as much. Instead, I had one of the responses as "N/A, not a Democrat/cannot vote", and it worked pretty well. It got the largest votes ~40%, which was to be expected and suggests people are being honest. A survey size of 335 cost $50, so I got around half that in actual voters. As such, it is a fairly low sample size poll, most state polls have around twice this many.

See here for the poll as a viewer would see it: https://imgur.com/DxTEhjD
Full disclosure, I wouldn't put too much stock in these numbers, but the results surprised me.

I weighted by 6 age groups and male/female for each of the age groups, according to the electorate of the 2016 NH Democratic primary, as these are the only demographics that Google provides me.
It actually works out OK that they do not provide ethnicity, as NH is predominantly one race (93% white) and in situations like this you're not altogether going to introduce much error. See here for demographic weightings used: https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/primaries/polls/nh/dem

Here is a quick excel spreadsheet I threw up to calculate the weighted polling numbers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10semu5xRZ-D6gG7J3d19asXVMnoCvh7G2RNuySOv_RI/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to use this template if you ever want to conduct a poll using Google Consumer Surveys.

I don't expect this to be too accurate, but it was a good exercise and will be helpful when I conduct another (larger sample size) poll a few days before the NH primary.

Full numbers:

Warren 27%
Buttigieg 24%
Sanders 19%
Biden 17%
Harris 6%
Klobuchar 2%
Gabbard 2%
Yang, Booker, Williamson, Delaney <1%

Thoughts on this?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »

WTH Pete
amdcpus
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »

I wouldn't put too much stock in the particular numbers, but it's interesting for sure.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »

Your margin of error is high due to the small sample (not your fault) and essentially shows a four-way tie.

Great work all-around!
amdcpus
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »

Your margin of error is high due to the small sample (not your fault) and essentially shows a four-way tie.

Great work all-around!

Thanks, and for sure, with such a small sample size I definitely agree the main idea to get from this is that it's a 4 way race as of now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »

Biden hasnt sewn up the primary yet.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 02:37:12 AM »

I wouldn't put too much stock in the particular numbers, but it's interesting for sure.

Agree. I think Buttigieg is well positioned for an upset in either IA or NH. Meaning he can win them outright or finish strong 2nd. If Biden is behind Buttigieg in one of them, it would be a bad sign for him.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »

Oh god I want to believe
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »

On-line poll
amdcpus
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »

For those curious, apparently Google Surveys has decided "self-service surveys containing election polling questions will not be supported." I contacted them through the live chat and the helpful worker on the other end told me that a workaround would be to use the word "support" rather than "vote", as "support" does not imply voting intentions. That's completely fine with me, the two words are interchangeable in my view.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »

Surely Biden could not survive coming 4th in Iowa and New Hampshire
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies