OSHA requirements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  OSHA requirements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OSHA requirements  (Read 2629 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »

(Started for JFern)
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »

Pardon me for being a bit naive, but what exactly is the topic?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »

Pardon me for being a bit naive, but what exactly is the topic?

JFern was flaming in the thread about the mining tragedy about how the OSHA codes have been weakened under Republican leadership.  Gave him this thread to continue his flame and keep it out of the other thread.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »

Certainly it is a major Republican goal to do away with OSHA so that owners can risk the lives of poors.  It costs less money and increases profit!
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:08:48 PM »

OSHA does some good of course, but there are lots of bad and unnecessary regulations, which can hurt businesses.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »

As an engineer I've spent quite a bit of time in factories. Most of them today are pretty good for safety but in some cases there are problems which could be easily corrected.

Also I have friends and relatives who lost fingers in factory accidents. My best friend from high school lost his little finger. My wife's father lost part of his thumb and his father lost a finger, all in factory accidents. I think these things could and should be prevented. So in general I support workplace safety rules, but they should not be allowed to get out of control either.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:35:08 PM »

I sailed on the OMI Willamette (a crude oil tanker), which had a sister ship that exploded in port (I think it was down at Galveston, TX) back around 1993.  A maintenance crew was working in one of the cargo tanks when a spark from the arc welder ignited a pocket of residual gas in the tank.  Two or three people died in the incident, even though OSHA requirements were being followed. 

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 05:39:53 PM »

So in general I support workplace safety rules, but they should not be allowed to get out of control either.

What about 'freedom' and 'property rights' and all that David S?  Maybe you should change your avatar to Democrat.

I sailed on the OMI Willamette (a crude oil tanker), which had a sister ship that exploded in port (I think it was down at Galveston, TX) back around 1993.  A maintenance crew was working in one of the cargo tanks when a spark from the arc welder ignited a pocket of residual gas in the tank.  Two or three people died in the incident, even though OSHA requirements were being followed. 

Thanks for the great story showing that OSHA regulations are woefully inadequate, MODU.  I agree that regulations for worker safety should be far more strict.

I'm also uncomfortable that 'workmen's compensation' legislation apparently intereferes with one's ability to sue one's employer for injuries on the job.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »

I've read quite a lot on crazy regulations
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 07:50:20 PM »

So in general I support workplace safety rules, but they should not be allowed to get out of control either.

What about 'freedom' and 'property rights' and all that David S?  Maybe you should change your avatar to Democrat.

The day I decide to melt down my guns, pay more in taxes and turn over control of my life to Hillary I'll become a Democrat.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »

Did a search, and the ships name was the OMI Charger.  I haven't found any clear photo's (found a Coast Guard investigation report with some terrible photo-copied pictures scanned in) to show you the damage.  Also, I found out that my ship, the Willamette, is now decommissioned.  It was probably sold off to a foreign company.  Sad  Oh well.  I'll see if I can find some old photo's of my own and try to scan them in.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »

As an engineer I've spent quite a bit of time in factories. Most of them today are pretty good for safety but in some cases there are problems which could be easily corrected.

Also I have friends and relatives who lost fingers in factory accidents. My best friend from high school lost his little finger. My wife's father lost part of his thumb and his father lost a finger, all in factory accidents. I think these things could and should be prevented. So in general I support workplace safety rules, but they should not be allowed to get out of control either.

Many accidents are caused by the negligance of those who were hurt. Now I'm not saying that was the case for the people you know. But OSHA isn't going to stop every accident as I'm sure you realize.

(this is mainly directed at Opebo)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 03:52:57 AM »

Hate OSHA requirements.  Who the hell is the government to show me a video on "avoiding asbestos" and "using safety ladders" and "checking chemical advisories" when I work in a cafeteria Tongue

And yes, this really did happen.  Most boring 1 hr, 20 minutes of my life. 
I did get paid for it, but it doesn't replace dying inside...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 08:18:52 AM »

Many accidents are caused by the negligance of those who were hurt. Now I'm not saying that was the case for the people you know. But OSHA isn't going to stop every accident as I'm sure you realize.

It is ridiculous to blame the worker for his own 'negligence', StatesRights, as he is doing the job asked of him by the employer.  If he does it improperly, it could be the result of poor training, and certainly is the result of improper management.  He wouldn't even be in the hazardous situation if not for the demands of the employer.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »

Hate OSHA requirements.  Who the hell is the government to show me a video on "avoiding asbestos" and "using safety ladders" and "checking chemical advisories" when I work in a cafeteria Tongue

And yes, this really did happen.  Most boring 1 hr, 20 minutes of my life. 
I did get paid for it, but it doesn't replace dying inside...

That would be an example of it getting out of control.

A good requirement would be one which says that punch presses must have a device which prevents them from operating if someone's hands are in the way.

Many years ago when I was a teenager I worked in a stamping plant. At that time there weren't many safety devices on punch presses. You would just take a part out of one basket, put it in the press, and punch a button or step on a foot lever to activate the press. Then you take the part out and put it in another basket. You probably make one part every few seconds. Then do the next one. The job is boring to the point of insanity. You make thousands of parts every day and all you have to do is make one mistake to get hurt. You really can't blame it on the worker if he gets hurt. Those machines need safety devices to make them foolproof. It doesn't take too much to accomplish that either.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »

It is ridiculous to blame the worker for his own 'negligence', StatesRights, as he is doing the job asked of him by the employer.  If he does it improperly, it could be the result of poor training, and certainly is the result of improper management.  He wouldn't even be in the hazardous situation if not for the demands of the employer.

LOL! That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard.

Next you'll be telling me if someone runs a stop sign and plows into another car it really wasn't their fault because driving school didn't teach them properly! What a effin joke you are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies