Why weren’t the “wet” demographics able to stop the 18th amendment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:22:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why weren’t the “wet” demographics able to stop the 18th amendment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why weren’t the “wet” demographics able to stop the 18th amendment?  (Read 514 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:46:57 AM »

Why weren’t the Irish, Italians, Germans, etc., able to stop the 18th amendment from getting ratified by Congress and all those states?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:40:17 AM »

The Germans had been sidelined by World War I for one thing.

The Southern dominated Democratic Party under anglophile Wilson also didn't help in terms of that party being an effective vehicle for them. And of course the Republicans had long led the charge on the issue.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:22:24 AM »

The Southern dominated Democratic Party under anglophile Wilson also didn't help in terms of that party being an effective vehicle for them.
Ironically, Wilson himself was a “wet”.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:03:12 AM »

The Southern dominated Democratic Party under anglophile Wilson also didn't help in terms of that party being an effective vehicle for them.

For a variety of reasons though, the base he cultivated and the voters he also alienated, helped to make the Dems more dry.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:31:31 AM »

For a variety of reasons though, the base he cultivated and the voters he also alienated, helped to make the Dems more dry.
I could see the demographics who supported the Palmer Raids tending to be “dry” and the demographics who opposed the Palmer Raids tending to be “wet”.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »

If I remember correctly, Congressional reapportionment after the 1920 census significantly increased these groups' share of the seats in the House, which is why passing the amendment in 1919 was so critical.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:15 PM »

If I remember correctly, Congressional reapportionment after the 1920 census significantly increased these groups' share of the seats in the House, which is why passing the amendment in 1919 was so critical.

Yeah, that was a big part of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »

What reapportionment? Congress failed to agree on how to reapportion, so it wasn't done.  It wasn't until the Reapportionment Act of 1929 that a fixed apportionment process was put in place.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »

What reapportionment? Congress failed to agree on how to reapportion, so it wasn't done.  It wasn't until the Reapportionment Act of 1929 that a fixed apportionment process was put in place.

This.  I would go so far as to say malapportionment was the entire reason Prohibition happened.  Had SCOTUS/Congress enforced OMOV from the Reconstruction era onward, the 18th Amendment would have never come close to passage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 11:38:15 PM »

This.  I would go so far as to say malapportionment was the entire reason Prohibition happened.  Had SCOTUS/Congress enforced OMOV from the Reconstruction era onward, the 18th Amendment would have never come close to passage.

Given where the opposition to Prohibition was strongest, I think if OMOV had been enforced then in the way we do now, it might have been enacted sooner, but certainly not kept from passing.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 02:47:32 AM »

Because they chose to call themselves “wet” instead of “moist” like civilized people.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 04:27:48 AM »

Because they chose to call themselves “wet” instead of “moist” like civilized people.
I love your username.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies