Can Joe Biden increase black turnout in the general?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:17:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Can Joe Biden increase black turnout in the general?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Joe Biden increase black turnout in the general?  (Read 724 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »

As you know, the black turnout is crucial for the Democrats in states like WI, MI, PA, VA, NC, and GA. Clinton could not turnout black voters like Obama did and is arguably why she lost. Could you see Biden doing better than Clinton in this regard or would he do about the same?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »

Turnout overall is a big question. Republicans could have big turnout. I hope that somehow Democrats can, as well.
The young people (Democrats), have to get excited about defeating Trump, and scared of what happens should get Trump get a second term.

As for the question of the thread, I think that it is possible that black turnout could improve, it is certainly an important question. I am not sure whether to be optimistic of victory at this point. It could be a very close election. That is how I see it.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »

As you know, the black turnout is crucial for the Democrats in states like WI, MI, PA, VA, NC, and GA. Clinton could not turnout black voters like Obama did and is arguably why she lost. Could you see Biden doing better than Clinton in this regard or would he do about the same?

No. Let's dispel this notion. Biden is no Obama and what Biden did in the 1990s won't help him. Trump may actually peel off a few more percentage points.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

I think that it's obvious from what happened in VA and NC.  Overall turnout was tremendous.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »

Yes. Donald Trump should be scared, very scared.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »

From 2016? Yes. From 2012 and 2008? No.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »

I don't know why people think Biden will increase black turnout, considering that Hilary did better than Biden with Black voters. And where black turnout will matter the most for the EC are in the urban cores of the midwest, which, if polls are to be believed, Biden does worse with than he does in the south. But regardless, primary voting patterns don't have a direct causation with general election voting patterns unless there is a large undercurrent that already exists. (See Trump 2016 WWC primary trends that did translate to general election trends, but that's because the shift in voting had already in place since 2010)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »

From 2016? Yes. From 2012 and 2008? No.
Redban

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »

Biden might have a shot because of the Obama connection (though it's worth noting that Hillary had a strong rapport with blacks too; she beat Obama among blacks in many states in 2008 in fact).

But remember that Trump is expected to do a little better with blacks this time. He has a lot of good stats to cite, like their lowest unemployment rates. And his people have set up campaign offices in black districts specifically to increase his percentage with blacks.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »

No. Let's dispel this notion. Biden is no Obama and what Biden did in the 1990s won't help him. Trump may actually peel off a few more percentage points.
Of course he mostly likely won't match Obama's numbers. The question is can he at least do better than Clinton?
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »

No. He's an 80 year old white dude. He doesn't connect with them.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »

He has the highest approval among blacks of any recent Dem (outside of Obama), so I'm not sure where you get this. I don't understand why his support among blacks is so high, but the fact remains that it is.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »

Cyrusman
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »

I don't know why people think Biden will increase black turnout, considering that Hilary did better than Biden with Black voters. And where black turnout will matter the most for the EC are in the urban cores of the midwest, which, if polls are to be believed, Biden does worse with than he does in the south. But regardless, primary voting patterns don't have a direct causation with general election voting patterns unless there is a large undercurrent that already exists. (See Trump 2016 WWC primary trends that did translate to general election trends, but that's because the shift in voting had already in place since 2010)

So far was Hillary overperformed Biden?
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »

From the 2016 Democratic primary exit polls, Clinton won 80+% of the Black vote in the south. Biden has been getting ~60%+, so he obviously is doing well, but not to the level of Hillary.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »

It will be more than 2016 but less than 2012.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »

Depends on the kind of campaign he runs. One thing to remember is that a big reason why Clinton didn't do as well as expected among black voters is that younger black voters didn't support her as strongly as Obama. Looking at the primary numbers, I do think there is a similar danger for Biden.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »

He has the highest approval among blacks of any recent Dem (outside of Obama), so I'm not sure where you get this. I don't understand why his support among blacks is so high, but the fact remains that it is.

There is little indication he has much more than an incremental advantage among blacks over Hillary at this same point.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »

From the 2016 Democratic primary exit polls, Clinton won 80+% of the Black vote in the south. Biden has been getting ~60%+, so he obviously is doing well, but not to the level of Hillary.

There were more candidates. . .
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 02:55:07 PM »

No more than Clinton increased it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: