Evo Morales resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Evo Morales resigns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Evo Morales resigns  (Read 4968 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2019, 11:17:52 PM by Zaybay »

It seems that Pro-Evo forces are starting to mobilize, and rather effectively as well.

There's also reports that much of the military and police force are actually not that into the coup, as many are indigenous and sympathize with Evo and his policies.

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 11:26:37 PM »

It seems that Pro-Evo forces are starting to mobilize, and rather effectively as well.

There's also reports that much of the military and police force are actually not that into the coup, as many are indigenous and sympathize with Evo and his policies.

The fact that mainly indigenous military/police members are the detractors (from the military/police) has me extremely worried about what’ll happen if the other side wins.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2019, 12:38:02 AM »

The Mexican Foreign Minister confirms Morales has boarded a plane sent by his government, he should land in Mexico (he'll recieve asylum there) in the next few hours.

Good.

Hopefully for the people of Bolivia, this is resolved without too much bloodshed and without an authoritarian government, or a racist one.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2019, 10:27:50 AM by Austere Religious Scholar »

Morales: Wins elections (with a recount when his vote went up!)
Right Wing: Election wasn't fair
Morales: Let's have another vote then
Right-wing: No let's not, we'd rather have a coup orchestrated by a racist military
International Media/Libs: OMG MORALES IS SUCH AN AUTHORITARIAN.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »

Not knowing when to quit is unfortunately still pretty common for Latin American leaders. Aside of classical examples of tailoring the constitution to allow yourself unlimited reelection, like Venezuela, the same goes even for countries with strict term limits. In Peru you have a bunch of former Presidents running in every election. In Chile the presidency essentially alternated between Bachelet and Pinera during last few cycles, and before that we had Frei running again. In Uruguay Vasquez returned after waiting out his four years.

Correra is among those honorable examples of not trying to mess with the constitution by allowing himself more terms. Instead he stepped down and supported his preferred successor (even though Lenin turned out to be a sore disappointment).

It all makes me even more in fabor of the Mexican system. You got one term and then you can never, ever serve again.
urutzizu
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2019, 09:43:34 AM by urutzizu »

Correra is among those honorable examples of not trying to mess with the constitution by allowing himself more terms. Instead he stepped down and supported his preferred successor (even though Lenin turned out to be a sore disappointment).

Correra did actually try to remove Term limits for himself before his Term expired back in 2017, but was forced to abandon it due to pressure from civil society. Instead he managed only to remove Term Limits from post-2017, hoping he would be able to run again in 2021 after one term by his would-be handpicked successor Moreno. Didnt Quite work out of course, because Moreno turned on him, and banned him from running again with the Constitutional Referendum in 2018 that re-instated term limits.
Correa also used the same questionable constitutional logic that Morales used to run for a third term (i.e. their Terms starting in 2013/2014 respectively), saying that because he introduced a new constitution, he was technically leading a different country then he was before 2008, and therefore the first Term did not count. (Arguably with Morales that was theoretically correct, as the "Republic of Bolivia" became the "Plurinational State of Bolivia", but with Correa that was a nonsensical argument).

That the Americans (and posters like lfromnj) are defending or even celebrating the removal of Morales because he overstepped his Term Limits is blatant hypocrisy of course, because the Honduran right-wing President  Juan Orlando Hernández did just that in 2017, in exactly the same way Morales did, and then very obviously rigged the election, cracked down on the protests and his "election" was recognised and supported by the US.

It all makes me even more in fabor of the Mexican system. You got one term and then you can never, ever serve again.

The fundamental problem of Latin American Governance is not Term Limits (or a lack thereof), it is Presidentialism.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »

Not knowing when to quit is unfortunately still pretty common for Latin American leaders. Aside of classical examples of tailoring the constitution to allow yourself unlimited reelection, like Venezuela, the same goes even for countries with strict term limits. In Peru you have a bunch of former Presidents running in every election. In Chile the presidency essentially alternated between Bachelet and Pinera during last few cycles, and before that we had Frei running again. In Uruguay Vasquez returned after waiting out his four years.

I’d hardly call Piñera, Bachelet, Vázquez, etc. serving two terms “not knowing when to quit”.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »

Coups are bad and so is Morales.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »

Wow this guy is incredible! I would support a coup against Trump if America could get our very own Camacho as a result! Very strong potential. Doesn't cower at all in the name of destroying that which opposes the Truth. You just don't see stuff like this anymore.

The World is becoming a better place each day all while America drifts further from Her founding purpose.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »

I’d hardly call Piñera, Bachelet, Vázquez, etc. serving two terms “not knowing when to quit”.

Erm.......
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »

Erm.......

My thoughts exactly
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »

Watch very carefully which of your politicians are fine with a President illegally abolishing term limits and fixing an election.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »

Watch very carefully which of your politicians are fine with a President illegally abolishing term limits and fixing an election.

A court can’t rule on a constitutional matter, that’s ridiculous. Also you’d think that netenhayu and Merkel were evil authoritarians for being in power for so long.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »

Erm.......

Kalwejt wasn’t talking about the protests, but even if he was I really don’t get the calls for Piñera to resign. It’s not as if Chadwick would have been any better.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »

Kalwejt wasn’t talking about the protests, but even if he was I really don’t get the calls for Piñera to resign. It’s not as if Chadwick would have been any better.

Is because it would lead to new elections and this government has demonstrated over and over its total incompetence at handling the situation. The only thing he has done is adding more logs to the fire and bears political responsibility for the deaths, tortures and hundreds of people with eye wounds as a result of the brutal repression.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »

Hopefully, whoever the new rulers are, they keep The Church in mind.  And there is not biolence.

And what acts should they do while keeping the Church in mind? Because for now, they seem to be keeping it in mind:

If bigotry, racism and religious oppression is how the Church in wants to be kept in mind, then the Church is evil.

Is he Catholic or Evangelical?  Its an important distinction.

I'm wondering this too, especially since Pachamama is currently an intra-Catholic political shibboleth (and specifically an anti-Pope Francis shibboleth) for non-Morales-related reasons.

Camacho is Catholic - deeply Catholic -, but he's been skillful enough to garner a lot of Evangelical support and, from the looks of it, to mobilize religious-minded Bolivians in general through his use of religious rhetoric.

Good grief.
How is that surprising? Politicians like that are quite common, look at Rick Santorum or for a depressingly more successful example, Bolsonaro.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »

Despite Áñez's attempts to get Congress into session, the MAS representatives appear to be boycotting the effort and have refused to show up, which means there is no quorum to formally accept Morales's resignation, to allow Áñez to become President through the line of succesion, or to elect a new President in order to hold elections. Thus, the power vacuum continues and there is no formal government in Bolivia, though strictly speaking Morales legally remains the President.

Also, I'll say it again, Piñera has both the duty and the (constitutional, legal and democratic) right to finish his term. Not only that, his resignation would not solve the crisis and would make the situation even worse, the last thing the country needs is a power vacuum.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »

A court can’t rule on a constitutional matter, that’s ridiculous. Also you’d think that netenhayu and Merkel were evil authoritarians for being in power for so long.
Um, what?  That's very very demonstrably not true...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »

Also, I'll say it again, Piñera has both the duty and the (constitutional, legal and democratic) right to finish his term. Not only that, his resignation would not solve the crisis and would make the situation even worse, the last thing the country needs is a power vacuum.

I got to agree here. If he didn't break any law or failed to uphold his oath, then there's no reason for Pinera to be required to resign. And it wouldn't really accomplish anything positive. South America is becoming increasingly unstable and even Chile, with its remarkable history of transition to a functioning democracy, is not immune. I may not like Pinera, but the democratic legitimacy and government continuity must be respected.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

Hopefully, whoever the new rulers are, they keep The Church in mind.  And there is not biolence.

And what acts should they do while keeping the Church in mind? Because for now, they seem to be keeping it in mind:

If bigotry, racism and religious oppression is how the Church in wants to be kept in mind, then the Church is evil.

Is he Catholic or Evangelical?  Its an important distinction.

I'm wondering this too, especially since Pachamama is currently an intra-Catholic political shibboleth (and specifically an anti-Pope Francis shibboleth) for non-Morales-related reasons.

Camacho is Catholic - deeply Catholic -, but he's been skillful enough to garner a lot of Evangelical support and, from the looks of it, to mobilize religious-minded Bolivians in general through his use of religious rhetoric.

Good grief.
How is that surprising? Politicians like that are quite common, look at Rick Santorum or for a depressingly more successful example, Bolsonaro.

"Good grief" doesn't mean I'm surprised.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »

I got to agree here. If he didn't break any law or failed to uphold his oath, then there's no reason for Pinera to be required to resign. And it wouldn't really accomplish anything positive. South America is becoming increasingly unstable and even Chile, with its remarkable history of transition to a functioning democracy, is not immune. I may not like Pinera, but the democratic legitimacy and government continuity must be respected.
The unjust use of force and state of emergency used on peaceful protesters isn’t enough for you?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »

In the absence of the MAS representatives, the opposition has invoked Article 170 (absence of the President) and Jeanine Añéz has been proclaimed Acting President with the - declared - intention to call for new elections. It's going to be controversial, to put it mildly.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »

The unjust use of force and state of emergency used on peaceful protesters isn’t enough for you?

It won't be enough until the police blind every single person in this country apparently.

And besides, how exactly would be Piñera resigning make the situation worse? That's gotta be one of the top demands of the protest, in fact would be extremely helpful at controlling the unrest. The guy hasn't made a public appearance in days, today half of the country burned, again, and at 22:25 local time, he still hasn't done or said anything. He is totally ineffective at responding at the social demands, and on top of that is totally ineffective at maintaining the minimum semblance of public order, with the police tear-gassing and torturing peaceful protesters and doing absolutely nothing when there is looting or vandalism (Because you know where it would be useful use tear gas? To disperse looters!, not throwing tear gas bombs at families with children as it just happened at the protest I was at. )
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2019, 11:28:40 PM »

In the absence of the MAS representatives, the opposition has invoked Article 170 (absence of the President) and Jeanine Añéz has been proclaimed Acting President with the - declared - intention to call for new elections. It's going to be controversial, to put it mildly.

The Supreme Court (the same one that overturned the 21F referendum has given her the go-ahead).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 03:46:02 AM »

https://www.eldestapeweb.com/nota/el-congreso-boliviano-rechazara-la-renuncia-de-evo-morales-2019111223540

Looks like the Congress is going to declare the resignation illegitimate?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies