What does the map look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:51:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What does the map look like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the map look like?  (Read 797 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »

Stick with me, this is a wild one.

A few decades from now...

• In general, a period of Democratic dominance follows the Trump presidency. The Democrats maintain a broad coalition both demographically and ideologically while the Republicans spend a few years in the wilderness before compromising later in the 2030s as they did during the New Deal Era. The deregulation of the Reagan Era tapers off during the Democratic realignment to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and to manage a new cold war against China, manifesting through bitter proxy wars in Iran, Venezuela, and Russia (collapses when Putin's successor is unable to keep Chechnya from seceding).
  • Cold War II ends in a pyrrhic victory- with a China exhausted by containment, demographic troubles, and wealth inequality collapsing to another workers' revolution and then civil war- but only after the world economy and the Internet are bifurcated into American and Chinese camps. As the effects of climate change reveal themselves amid the chaos, Malthusian wars burn through the developing world and civil unrest hits even the wealthiest countries hard (the anti-austerity movement creates a new French government, for instance, the final keystone bringing down the EU), forcing a final transition to more "regional" supply chains worldwide.
  • A combination of more frequent and violent hurricanes, earthquakes caused by fracking, another Deepwater Horizon, drought in the Southwest, rising sea levels, and shifts in the global economy left the Sun Belt in economic decline, exacerbated by pogroms against Mexican-Americans. The "Sand States", as they're called nowadays, are about as poor and angry as the South in the years following the Civil War. Florida in particular has shrank in population and opportunity.
  • Cold War II did bring some manufacturing back to the Rust Belt, if only temporarily, before the workers were sold out once again first by outsourcing in anti-Chinese Asian countries like India and Vietnam and then in Mexico (finally experiencing the "Mexican Moment" with heavy industrialization and migration of American Hispanics fleeing violence in the Sand States). Those states experienced population growth from the ruined Sun Belt, particularly from those who could afford to leave. The Pacific Northwest, New England, and the Upper South also experienced gains.
  • The post-Cold War II, post-climate catastrophe realignment sees "Green Realism" emerge as the next ideology of the day. Things like LGBT and climate change aren't an issue, but localism and xenophobia have made a comeback. The Democrats, still a reformist party, have inherited the working poor, the anti-automation movement, and the battered Sand States: essentially, those who are angry that the rug was pulled out from under them and believe in William Jennings Bryan-esque populism. The GOP, naturally, is their antithesis, based among the well-off, the ancestral Heartland (less affected by climate change), and those who maintain ubiquitous Intranet infrastructure (white collar workers, college-educated, and so on). As most people have moved back to the land or into arcology-filled cities connected by high-speed rail with the oil market experiencing trouble, there aren't many suburbanites to speak of, but they have those few that are around. As a Cliffnotes, it's a class-based realignment.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:59:40 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2020, 03:15:50 AM by khuzifenq »

Not that wild actually, but the timeframe on some of these events is vague. I'm guessing the Sun Belt -> Sand Belt transformation begins after 2050 and the demographic exodus continues for the rest of the century. Your "Green Realism" sounds eerily similar to the neoreactionary Hindutva-inspired ideology that emerges in my NationStates "Antipodean refugee state" universe.

My 2020 Pres prediction under your hypothetical 2080 apportionment. (Electoral votes probably don't add up to 535)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:09:34 PM »

Not that wild actually, but the timeframe on some of these events is vague. I'm guessing the Sun Belt -> Sand Belt transformation begins after 2050 and the demographic exodus continues for the rest of the century. Your "Green Realism" sounds eerily similar to the neoreactionary Hindutva-inspired ideology that emerges in my NationStates "Antipodean refugee state" universe.

Thanks, it's part of a broader future history I'm working on. Yeah, "Green Realism" is ecofascism, and it's not at all pleasant. Basically my current future prediction. Good call on the 2080 date, that was when I wanted to set this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »

279 to 259

AZ, FL, TX and NC are Tilt R states still, but at the state level, Ds are competetive and can split their votes for Prez and Congress
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »

Thanks, it's part of a broader future history I'm working on. Yeah, "Green Realism" is ecofascism, and it's not at all pleasant. Basically my current future prediction. Good call on the 2080 date, that was when I wanted to set this.

I have noticed that you have a penchant for taking automation- and climate change-based wild guesses into the future that usually involve a lot of (metaphorical, not like an actual conflict) class warfare.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2020, 09:50:10 AM by Anarcho-Statism »

I have noticed that you have a penchant for taking automation- and climate change-based wild guesses into the future that usually involve a lot of (metaphorical, not like an actual conflict) class warfare.

I don't see it as a spectacular thing, but as a continuation of the same old cycles in American history. There's mass migration from an old, overdeveloped boomtown to a new one for economic opportunity, sometimes because the land goes bad, while sudden technological change affects employment and culture. Too many people on here seem to be stuck in the end of history, neoliberal cheeriness forever if we defeat the evil Plormpf mindset, inequality and systemic problems be damned.

But really, I wanna see some different maps for a change.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »

I don't see it as a spectacular thing, but as a continuation of the same old cycles in American history. There's mass migration from an old, overdeveloped boomtown to a new one for economic opportunity, sometimes because the land goes bad, while sudden technological change affects employment and culture. Too many people on here seem to be stuck in the end of history, neoliberal cheeriness forever if we defeat the evil Plormpf mindset.

But really, I wanna see some different maps for a change.

I certainly am not stucked in the end of history neoliberal cheeriness, but I am not much of an expert of technological or macroeconomic changes, which means that I tend to find these timelines strange. I, at most, imagine future maps based on ethnoracial demographic shifts.

However I agree with the idea that the Sun Belt might become the Sand Belt much like the Steel Belt has become the Rust Belt.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »

Bump, here's some Sand States. This is the Democrats' core in 2080. All the Dengue, dirty water, and 2040-style ten hour congressional filibustering against a bill investing in lights-out manufacturing you could ever want.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies