What Happened to Respect?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:09:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What Happened to Respect?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Happened to Respect?  (Read 1649 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »

Respect is for beta cucks. (Insert opposite political party) are animals and you're a soy boy for having empathy for them.

Well, when the other party is supporting a racist sexual predator who praises Nazis, attempts to bribe foreign powers, and completely undermines the rule of law, WTF do you want us to say?! Obviously, none of their prior concerns about principle or process were even remotely genuine. So if I point out that they're just authoritarian animals, why does that so upset you? It's an accurate assessment, much as you'd love to live in denial.   
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 11:16:53 PM »

Respect is for beta cucks. (Insert opposite political party) are animals and you're a soy boy for having empathy for them.

Well, when the other party is supporting a racist sexual predator who praises Nazis, attempts to bribe foreign powers, and completely undermines the rule of law, WTF do you want us to say?! Obviously, none of their prior concerns about principle or process were even remotely genuine. So if I point out that they're just authoritarian animals, why does that so upset you? It's an accurate assessment, much as you'd love to live in denial.   

You have a lot of anger, don't you?
R.P. McM

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 11:36:14 PM »

Not much of a response, hombre. Again, you're basically crying at the fact that I've pointed out that Republicans are unwilling to follow even the basic rules/norms/laws that have allowed us to coexist as a political community for ~150 years. You can keep whining, but it doesn't really change the reality at heart.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »

Both sides do it bro.
R.P. McM

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 11:42:14 PM »

Both sides do it bro.

You've just destroyed your credibility. Pat yourself on the back, you brownshirt bootlicker.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »

Not much of a response, hombre. Again, you're basically crying at the fact that I've pointed out that Republicans are unwilling to follow even the basic rules/norms/laws that have allowed us to coexist as a political community for ~150 years. You can keep whining, but it doesn't really change the reality at heart.

I didn't deny any of that.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »

That was an interesting article. I think it spoke mostly to bipartisanship. There certainly doesn't seem to be much of that going on today. But can't we be civil when we disagree? Can't we treat others with civility that we ourselves want to be treated with?

In the age of Trump, in the age of bullying on social media and in the public arena, in the age of school shootings that we experience today, how far down the rabbit hole are we willing to go before we do a turn around and start changing the way we treat each other?
R.P. McM

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:18 PM »

Well then WTF are you doing? I'm pointing out that the opposition is creeping ever closer to outright fascism, and you're whining about my tone. Who gives a sh!+?!!!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 01:46:19 AM »

Well then WTF are you doing? I'm pointing out that the opposition is creeping ever closer to outright fascism, and you're whining about my tone. Who gives a sh!+?!!!

Eh.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 03:23:06 AM »

I think all Americans should read the speech by Benjamin Franklin at the end of the Constitutional Convention of 1787. I will not quote the entire speech here, just a majority of it.

Mr. President,
I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. ...
In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered. ... I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. ... Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administered.
On the whole, Sir, I can not help expressing a wish that every member of the Convention who may still have objections to it, would with me, on this occasion doubt a little of his own infallibility, and to make manifest our unanimity, put his name to this instrument.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »

MarkD's above post is a Freedom Post.

The problem today is that we have ideologically-based parties held together in no small measure by identity politics.  We've had identity politics in varying degrees throughout our history, but the ideologically-based political parties is, honestly, a relatively new feature.  These conditions tend to cause people to be certain in their judgment and less open to the idea that they may be wrong on an issue.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »

The problem today is that we have ideologically-based parties held together in no small measure by identity politics.  We've had identity politics in varying degrees throughout our history, but the ideologically-based political parties is, honestly, a relatively new feature.  These conditions tend to cause people to be certain in their judgment and less open to the idea that they may be wrong on an issue.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »

People seem to find it much more entertaining to be an asshole and say that anyone who disagrees with them is a moron than to try and empathize with those who disagree.

That's one aspect of it, to be sure.

The other aspect of the matter is that we now have ideological parties.  All the conservatives are Republicans these days.  All the liberals are Democrats.  It's easier to talk trash about others when they're of the other party.  It's harder to do so when the conservative blocking liberal legislation is part of your own Democratic caucus.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 12:30:59 AM »

Identity politics is an American tradition.

Everyone is clamoring to denounce identity politics like it's some new phenomenon that just recently appeared out of nowhere. It's always been there and always will be. The idea that you can have politics without identity is just another one of these lofty intellectual ideals, like bipartisanship or civility, cooked up by beltway journo's that simply dont exist in the real world.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 12:40:08 AM »

I am not capable of respecting communists.

I am not capable of respecting fascists and war criminals; Bush should be executed for war crimes and Trump should be in jail.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies