Meeting of the Small Council, DOTD 3rd Quarter of 126 AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:56:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Meeting of the Small Council, DOTD 3rd Quarter of 126 AC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meeting of the Small Council, DOTD 3rd Quarter of 126 AC  (Read 716 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »

Hereby begins the meeting of the small council of Viserys the first of house Targaryen. I leave it to Ser Otto Hightower to state the agenda, barring the king himself having any preface or alteration of the meeting to such. May he reign another century, and more if the gods permit it.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »

Your Grace, my lords, sers, Grand Maester, most welcome.

The first matter I would bring to the Small Council's attention is a request from Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships, for addition funding towards the Royal Fleet. I will let Ser Tyland open the case before your lordships' consideration, hear each of your opinions, and myself conclude, unless His Grace has a decisive view of the matter.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »

Ser Tyland stands up and outlines his proposal.

My Lords,

Although we have enjoyed great prosperity during the last few years, it is very important that we never allow that sense of prosperity to become a sense of complacency, particularly when it comes to what surrounds us and what may become the issues of the future.

It is my belief that although the Royal Fleet has distinguished itself in the past, it is nonetheless in need of greater investment from the Crown.

First, because of the strategic situation in the Narrow Sea. Even in times of peace, it cannot be forgotten that the Stepstones remain an issue given the rapid succession of self-proclaimed "Kings of the Narrow Sea" and the associated upsurge in piracy, always a serious concern for the Realm's necessary trade with several of the Free Cities. Equally, it must be remembered that the naval strength associated with the Republic of Braavos and, more importantly, with the Triarchy, poses a significant challenge, one we might do well to address by not allowing the Royal Fleet to be excessively outmatched in quality of quantity.

Second, because of the ever important need to protect the authority of the Crown whilst at the same time preserving the noble lords of Westeros from contributions that may demand too many resources. Simply put, my lords, one might argue there is a certain unfairness in asking lords to shoulder much of the cost and resources for the fleet, and one might also argue there are complications associated with not having a clear and direct chain of command depending on the Crown that must be solved as well. An expansion of the fleet not only would ensure the preservation of that authority, it will come as a benefit to lords that may have had to make significant contributions to the Royal Fleet in the past.

Third, because of experience and its associated gains, and the overall need to promote this general sense of prosperity we find ourselves in and which can be further expanded. The commission of new ships, new recruits, new armaments and new capabilities for the Royal Fleet and for the merchant and trading operations of the kingdom will not only ensure we benefit from having more experienced shipbuilders, sailors and other experts - who will have ample chance to develop and enhance their skills -, it will also result in needed work for many in the city of King's Landing itself, who will directly benefit from being hired on the noble task of working for the security of the Kingdom.

We have an excellent opportunity to achieve several positive developments for the Realm by following such a course of action, I urge this Council to carefully consider both the merits of a strong and vibrant fleet, and the dangers of complacency as well.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

Thank you, Ser Tyland, for your eloquent advocacy. Mayhaps we might next hear from the Master of Coin, into whose domain a renewed Fleet must needs dip its oars?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »

Ser Tyland,

The idea of Royal fleet serves to enrich the house Lannister does it not? For where would you propose these ships be built? Lannisport? It is true that these years have been kind to our people, but if we choose a policy that swindles our crowns wealth, then it will lead to economic ruin not just in the short but in the long term. The good King has stewarded the realm, and under my watch I will not let it, that go to waste.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »

My lords, any further interjections are more than welcome - and the thoughts of His Grace will always, naturally, weigh heaviest - but as matters stand I am strongly minded to agree to Ser Tyland's proposal and his most persuasive and urgent arguments in its favour.

Lord Beesbury, you yourself on His Grace's behalf have indeed long and nobly stewarded the finances of the realm, but Ser Tyland does not speak of swindling wealth, nor of feathering Lannisport. Indeed I am convinced it is the Crown's eastward sway the Master of Ships means to strengthen at sea.

This brings us to the second great matter before this Small Council. I have instructed Lord Strong to enquire into affairs across the Narrow Sea, with a view to identifying a suitable objective for a glorious military expedition abroad. House Targaryen has never been mightier, and might is safest and most wholesome when exercised, not left to rust, as any dragon or dragon lord can prove.

What say you to such a venture, noble counsellors?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 06:34:33 AM »

My lords, after an adjournment and the reports of the Crown's eyes and ears, I submit two leading targets for a glorious expedition and your lordships' consideration.

On the one hand is the city of Pentos. The Pentoshis are distracted by Dothraki aggression and vulnerable, and it is possible that Braavos might be persuaded to collaborate with our forces on account of the quiet Pentoshi tolerance of a form of slavery. The other Free Cities, however, would be more likely to side with one of their own in such a precarious position on principle.

Then, more ambitiously, there is the Kingdom of the Three Daughters. The Triarchs are powerful indeed, but also envied and hated. If we attacked with a pledge to separate the three cities once again and restore order and balance to the Narrow Sea, many indeed might be our allies, among Free Cities and further afield even unto the Volantenes.

In either case I submit that Prince Aegon is of an age and standing to possess an independent command upon his own dragon.

I ask you, honoured counsellors, again for your opinions.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »

Ser Vaemond puts forth the suggestion of assembling the fleet at Driftmark; it is well placed to receive materials from both sides of the Narrow Sea, and Lord Velaryon is the most experienced sailor in the known world. His expertise would be invaluable in the endeavor of building a fleet, and Ser Tyland would be most welcome and afforded comforts worthy his station and name as a Lannister while he oversaw the project.

He also posits that the Seasnake and Daemon have subdued the stepstones before, and their knowledge would help in any campaign against the isles as well as any lingering contacts from that time.

He puts forth his own name as the claimant to Driftmark; he is nobly born unlike the bastards coming to court from Hull, and by rights the seat belongs to him, regardless of who sired the boys.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 05:34:38 AM »

I see no need to oversee the strengthening the fleet anywhere but the capital itself. This would lay to rest any concerns such as those earlier expressed by the Master of Coin as to individual lords creaming disproportionate profit from the emprise.

The matter of Driftmark shall be approached in due time. If the Small Council has no more advice to offer upon the prosecution or the target of a military expedition, then the Hand will make a decision, subject as ever to His Grace the King's desires.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies