Protestors shut down Paris screening of Roman Polanski's latest film
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Protestors shut down Paris screening of Roman Polanski's latest film
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protestors shut down Paris screening of Roman Polanski's latest film  (Read 423 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »

https://deadline.com/2019/11/roman-polanski-an-officer-and-a-spy-paris-protests-screening-cancellation-1202784670

FF!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:14:12 AM »

Cancel culture shouldn't be celebrated. A boycott? Yes. A protest? Yes. Censorship? No.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »

Cancel culture shouldn't be celebrated. A boycott? Yes. A protest? Yes. Censorship? No.

It’s not censorship, Roman Polanski hasn’t made a movie anyone cared about strictly for its merits since at least The Ghost Writer which was like 10 years ago (and that’s being generous, really he hasn’t made anything of note in a good 17 years or so).  This has nothing to do with his movies and everything to do with the idea that a convicted sex offender who drugged and raped a 13 year old before fleeing the continent to escape justice should not be allowed to continue his career as if nothing happened.  Frankly, Polanski does deserve to be driven out of the industry whether his newest project is the next Citizen Kane or the next Troll 2. 

The fact is that Hollywood doesn’t care about his crimes, they happily gave him an Oscar long after he drugged and raped a minor.  Around that time hundreds (IIRC) of top names in Hollywood signed a petition asking that Polanski be pardoned in recognition of his artistic contributions to cinema.  Think about that for a minute: decades later, Hollywood’s response was basically “yeah, he drugged and raped a kid, but he’s made some good movies so can we just give him a mulligan on the whole child rapist thing?”  Since the film industry (especially in Europe) clearly has to be dragged kicking and screaming into showing a modicum of human decency here, it falls on everyone else to help drag them.  Besides, I’m sure the movie will be released eventually, it doesn’t need to be exhibited at festivals nor is Polanski entitled to the use of platform they provide for movies that screen at them.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

It’s not censorship, Roman Polanski hasn’t made a movie anyone cared about strictly for its merits since at least The Ghost Writer which was like 10 years ago (and that’s being generous, really he hasn’t made anything of note in a good 17 years or so).  This has nothing to do with his movies and everything to do with the idea that a convicted sex offender who drugged and raped a 13 year old before fleeing the continent to escape justice should not be allowed to continue his career as if nothing happened.  Frankly, Polanski does deserve to be driven out of the industry whether his newest project is the next Citizen Kane or the next Troll 2. 

The fact is that Hollywood doesn’t care about his crimes, they happily gave him an Oscar long after he drugged and raped a minor.  Around that time hundreds (IIRC) of top names in Hollywood signed a petition asking that Polanski be pardoned in recognition of his artistic contributions to cinema.  Think about that for a minute: decades later, Hollywood’s response was basically “yeah, he drugged and raped a kid, but he’s made some good movies so can we just give him a mulligan on the whole child rapist thing?”  Since the film industry (especially in Europe) clearly has to be dragged kicking and screaming into showing a modicum of human decency here, it falls on everyone else to help drag them.  Besides, I’m sure the movie will be released eventually, it doesn’t need to be exhibited at festivals nor is Polanski entitled to the use of platform they provide for movies that screen at them.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »

'Chinatown' and 'Rosemary's Baby' are two of the most overrated films I have ever seen, so I never had trouble separating Polanski's art from his life.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:35:30 PM »

"Cancel culture" is usually aimed at things like demanding a college administrator resign because he sent an email saying people shouldn't be too offended by Halloween costumes or harassing a high school girl because she wore a Chinese dress to prom.

Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year old. It's not comparable.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »

Roman Polanski is a child rapist no matter what people like Whoopi Goldberg likes to say and anyone defending him have lost all respect in my eyes. He needs to face time for what he has done and if one way to force him to do so is to censor and blacklist his movies, then so be it. Anyone working with him should be ashamed of themselves.

If we have to force Hollywood to recognize their problem with child rapists by pulling them kicking and screaming, then I say we punch at their coffers as well. That's the only thing they seemingly care about.

.sorry if this seemed off topic, but seriously, no one should defend Polanski, ever
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »

It’s not censorship, Roman Polanski hasn’t made a movie anyone cared about strictly for its merits since at least The Ghost Writer which was like 10 years ago (and that’s being generous, really he hasn’t made anything of note in a good 17 years or so).  This has nothing to do with his movies and everything to do with the idea that a convicted sex offender who drugged and raped a 13 year old before fleeing the continent to escape justice should not be allowed to continue his career as if nothing happened.  Frankly, Polanski does deserve to be driven out of the industry whether his newest project is the next Citizen Kane or the next Troll 2.  

The fact is that Hollywood doesn’t care about his crimes, they happily gave him an Oscar long after he drugged and raped a minor.  Around that time hundreds (IIRC) of top names in Hollywood signed a petition asking that Polanski be pardoned in recognition of his artistic contributions to cinema.  Think about that for a minute: decades later, Hollywood’s response was basically “yeah, he drugged and raped a kid, but he’s made some good movies so can we just give him a mulligan on the whole child rapist thing?”  Since the film industry (especially in Europe) clearly has to be dragged kicking and screaming into showing a modicum of human decency here, it falls on everyone else to help drag them.  Besides, I’m sure the movie will be released eventually, it doesn’t need to be exhibited at festivals nor is Polanski entitled to the use of platform they provide for movies that screen at them.
He should be in prison for sure, but I think people should be able to watch a movie - or a theater should be allowed to screen a movie - if they want to, regardles of who made it. I'm really big on seperating the art from the artist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 11:43:34 PM »

Polanski shows how little he thinks of English-speaking culture by saddling this film with the boring English name of An Officer and a Spy.  Anyone who would actually care enuf to see it would understand the French title of J'accuse!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:26:40 PM »

It’s not censorship, Roman Polanski hasn’t made a movie anyone cared about strictly for its merits since at least The Ghost Writer which was like 10 years ago

I'd argue his last movie memorable on its is merits is The Pianist from 2002. The Ghost Writer got good reviews at the time but is mostly forgotten now, it's only mentioned discussing Polanski's relatively recent career after the controversy swelled.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »

"Cancel culture" is usually aimed at things like demanding a college administrator resign because he sent an email saying people shouldn't be too offended by Halloween costumes or harassing a high school girl because she wore a Chinese dress to prom.

Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year old. It's not comparable.

That kind of proves how worthless of a term "cancelling" has become though. I've seen it used for when no consequences actually happen to an individual in question and they are just being talked about on twitter.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:24:10 PM »

Good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »