Why do people subject their kids to stricter dress codes and...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:38:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why do people subject their kids to stricter dress codes and...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do people subject their kids to stricter dress codes and...  (Read 288 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »

... bigger homework loads than they themselves were subject to at the same age?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2019, 11:29:06 PM by The Arizonan »

What do you mean by stricter dress codes? Are they wearing clothing that avoids showing as much skin as possible?

Huge homework loads are a strain on the youth in general. I thought it was a travesty when I got a regular load of homework on Halloween in high school in Arizona because I got the thirty-first of October off when I lived in Nevada.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:31:08 PM »

What do you mean by stricter dress codes? Are they wearing clothing that avoids showing as much skin as possible?
A lot of schools cracked down on showing skin in the 90s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:26 AM »

Dress codes are no more (or less) strict than they were when I was in school in the 80s.  The biggest difference I see are yoga pants.  In my day, girls might wear spandex, but they'd wear shorts over them.  Not today.

My kids have WAY less homework than I did.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2019, 10:52:02 AM by The Arizonan »

Dress codes are no more (or less) strict than they were when I was in school in the 80s.  The biggest difference I see are yoga pants.  In my day, girls might wear spandex, but they'd wear shorts over them.  Not today.

My kids have WAY less homework than I did.

I hope that they did get less homework, especially on those holidays that you still have to come to school. I remember when I got a regular homework load on Halloween during my senior year in high school. What a freaking travesty. When I went to school in Nevada, we got the last day of October off because it was also Neh-vad-duh Day (Nevada Day). Good times.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »

by homework do you mean out of school tutoring? If you are, I'm certainly not complaining because it earns me a fair bit on the side...
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »

by homework do you mean out of school tutoring? If you are, I'm certainly not complaining because it earns me a fair bit on the side...

The average U.S. student is in school for 7 hours a day.  Any assignments which can't be completed in that amount of time constitutes homework--i.e., work which is taken home.  (For a high school student, 2 hours of homework per night might not be unusual.)

In the US, the exam at the end of the semester only contributes maybe 20% of the total grade.  The bulk of the grade in a course comes from (multiple) mid-semester exams and from assignments.  Assignments can include readings, essay writing, math problems, Spanish translations, and anything else to help students learn.

At least, that's my memory of it.  I've been out of school a few decades now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »

The average U.S. student is in school for 7 hours a day.  Any assignments which can't be completed in that amount of time constitutes homework--i.e., work which is taken home.  (For a high school student, 2 hours of homework per night might not be unusual.)

In the US, the exam at the end of the semester only contributes maybe 20% of the total grade.  The bulk of the grade in a course comes from (multiple) mid-semester exams and from assignments.  Assignments can include readings, essay writing, math problems, Spanish translations, and anything else to help students learn.

At least, that's my memory of it.  I've been out of school a few decades now.

yes, but I was confused at the question. Parents don't subject their own kids to homework, it is set by teachers!

anyway, my thoughts are that hw tends to be bad and often is a sign of poor lesson planning, but project to be done outside of school are valid and useful.s
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies