Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:24:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist  (Read 1499 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-hogan-reagan-democrats-20190319-story.html

Although this could just be Cummings wife who wants that seat.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »

I keep hoping the Northeast can Make Republicans Sane Again, but those hopes repeatedly get dashed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »

I keep hoping the Northeast can Make Republicans Sane Again, but those hopes repeatedly get dashed.

When even Larry Hogan can get slammed as a racist on such spurious grounds, there is little impetus to play ball.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »

Maya Cummings already had her dead husband to guide her to victory.
Showing this level of idiocy wasn't necessary and does nothing to help her more.

More proof that Maryland Democrats can't be taken seriously.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »

Maya Cummings already had her dead husband to guide her to victory.
Showing this level of idiocy wasn't necessary and does nothing to help her more.

More proof that Maryland Democrats can't be taken seriously.
>Controls 95% of MD government Power
>Can't be taken seriously

Still, this is an obvious mischaracterization, rooting for Mfume.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »

And people wonder why conservatives who don't like Trump are unwilling to support Democrats.

This is the type of thing that paints the Democratic party accurately as extreme.

You could argue that this is just the state party in Maryland, but do we party officials or prominent elected officials telling them they are being wrong, stupid and immoral?

Tom Perez, the DNC Chairman comes from Maryland and has connections to the state party.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2019, 06:31:40 PM by PragmaticPopulist »

Not sure why this was brought up now, since this happened nearly 8 months ago, but this stunt on the MD Dems part I don't think was worth it. While Reagan did use racially-charged language at times, I don't believe that's what Hogan meant.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »

Hopefully Mfume wins the primary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

When even Larry Hogan can get slammed as a racist on such spurious grounds, there is little impetus to play ball.

Agreed. Rockeymoore Cummings is a disgrace, and a blight on her husband's memory. She does not deserve his seat, and I hope Mfume beats her.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2019, 04:04:59 PM by Mister Mets »

Agreed. Rockeymoore Cummings is a disgrace, and a blight on her husband's memory. She does not deserve his seat, and I hope Mfume beats her.
Her husband died a month ago, so it's certainly possible that she's saying things she otherwise wouldn't in her grief.

This doesn't exactly bode well for how she would do in Congress, though.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »

Her husband died a month ago, so it's certainly possible that she's saying things she otherwise wouldn't in her grief.

This doesn't exactly mode well for how she would do in Congress, though.

Mfume would likely be the better choice here.

The idea that Hogan is a White Nationalist is beyond ridiculous.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »

Larry Hogan is a moderate hero, what's this about? We need more Republicans like him.
swf541

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 06:14:59 PM »

Larry Hogan is a moderate hero, what's this about? We need more Republicans like him.

This.

hopefully she doesnt get into congress, I've heard enough negative things about her corruption wise for years.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »

There was a conversation revealed where Reagan called black people monkeys. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

When it comes down to it, Reagan really did open the door for Trumpism with the extended use of the southern strategy. He also signed gun control into law because of the Black Panthers.

The less said about the Maryland Democratic Party, the better. As for Hogan, 56-42% means he can ignore the Maryland Democratic Party's complaints about him at will. 

No matter how much he won by he still is supposed to represent the entire state. He's not just the Governor of white and Republican Maryland.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »

There was a conversation revealed where Reagan called black people monkeys. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

When it comes down to it, Reagan really did open the door for Trumpism with the extended use of the southern strategy. He also signed gun control into law because of the Black Panthers.

The less said about the Maryland Democratic Party, the better. As for Hogan, 56-42% means he can ignore the Maryland Democratic Party's complaints about him at will. 

No matter how much he won by he still is supposed to represent the entire state. He's not just the Governor of white and Republican Maryland.

Just exactly what does the highlighted part mean?  I know it's literally true.  What are the implications of the as far as Larry Hogan are concerned.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »

Just exactly what does the highlighted part mean?  I know it's literally true.  What are the implications of the as far as Larry Hogan are concerned.

In the Trump era there seems to be this idea that Republicans are only accountable to their base and can ignore demographics that didn't support them. That said, Hogan won because he won a lot of Democrats, so it's pretty silly to say that he should ignore Democrats.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »

In the Trump era there seems to be this idea that Republicans are only accountable to their base and can ignore demographics that didn't support them. That said, Hogan won because he won a lot of Democrats, so it's pretty silly to say that he should ignore Democrats.

True enough, but Democrats styled their status in Congress as "The Resistance", which is different from being a "loyal opposition".

Then, too, there was Obamacare:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/03/09/ram_it_through_mr_president.html

Obama simply rammed Obamacare through Congress.  Now I was OK with that, but he wasn't taking into account the significant number of Americans that opposed it.  Obama was, however, elected on that issue.  Why was he NOT more responsible to his base on this issue?  He was ELECTED to do this.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »

Reagan was a racist, but he wasn't openly racist and thus most people voting either for or against him probably had no idea what his views on race were.

And no, campaigning in the South doesn't make you a racist.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 03:12:43 AM »

Ok and LBJ was personally racist too and so were most major politicians today if you use today's standards. That conversation yah sure it was bad but he was obviously angry at those nations delegations voting against the United States interests at the UN and said that in obvious anger.

Also Reagan's so called states right speech in Mississippi, I can link that again but there literally was nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with it . You know what let me link it and quote the only part of the speech where he talks about states rights.

Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

I'm going to try also to change federal regulations in the tax structure that has made this once powerful industrial giant in this land and in the world now with a lower rate of productivity than any of the other industrial nations, with a lower rate of savings and investment on the part of our people and put us back where we belong.

This is literally the only part of the speech where he talks about "states rights"

http://neshobademocrat.com/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Transcript-of-Ronald-Reagan-s-1980-Neshoba-County-Fair-speech/2/297/15599

and MS was a swing state that year and that fair is one of the top political events in MS which is why he campaigned there so there is literally nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with that speech

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »

Please read "The Rise of the Unmeltable Ethnics" by Michael Novak. This book will give you anwers to the questions you raise here.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »

Ok and LBJ was personally racist too and so were most major politicians today if you use today's standards. That conversation yah sure it was bad but he was obviously angry at those nations delegations voting against the United States interests at the UN and said that in obvious anger.

Also Reagan's so called states right speech in Mississippi, I can link that again but there literally was nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with it . You know what let me link it and quote the only part of the speech where he talks about states rights.

Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

I'm going to try also to change federal regulations in the tax structure that has made this once powerful industrial giant in this land and in the world now with a lower rate of productivity than any of the other industrial nations, with a lower rate of savings and investment on the part of our people and put us back where we belong.

This is literally the only part of the speech where he talks about "states rights"

http://neshobademocrat.com/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Transcript-of-Ronald-Reagan-s-1980-Neshoba-County-Fair-speech/2/297/15599

and MS was a swing state that year and that fair is one of the top political events in MS which is why he campaigned there so there is literally nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with that speech

Dude, Reagan had some serious issues with race.

He denounced the Civil Rights Act and attempted to weaken it, only relenting when Congress agreed to renew it for 10 rather than 25 years.

In his race for Governor, he repeatedly referred to urban areas as jungles, veering into rhetoric similar to that on the Nixon call. When discussing housing, he said: “If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.”

In foreign policy, he supported the South African government, at a time when they were a key perpetrator of racial hatred and segregation. He vetoed sanctions against SA, a move so unpopular, that he veto was overridden, in a move led by moderates and mainstream Republicans like Richard Lugar, (and McConnell of all people) and opposed by the likes of Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond.

Besides, the Nixon comments are hard to explain away. Rather than a slip up as you suggest, they instead give weight to the idea that all of Reagan's racially insensitive political choices were not reluctant decisions, but rather reflections of a persistent racism that he carried throughout his adult life.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »

Dude, Reagan had some serious issues with race.

He denounced the Civil Rights Act and attempted to weaken it, only relenting when Congress agreed to renew it for 10 rather than 25 years.

In his race for Governor, he repeatedly referred to urban areas as jungles, veering into rhetoric similar to that on the Nixon call. When discussing housing, he said: “If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.”

In foreign policy, he supported the South African government, at a time when they were a key perpetrator of racial hatred and segregation. He vetoed sanctions against SA, a move so unpopular, that he veto was overridden, in a move led by moderates and mainstream Republicans like Richard Lugar, (and McConnell of all people) and opposed by the likes of Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond.

Besides, the Nixon comments are hard to explain away. Rather than a slip up as you suggest, they instead give weight to the idea that all of Reagan's racially insensitive political choices were not reluctant decisions, but rather reflections of a persistent racism that he carried throughout his adult life.

Reagan signed the 1982 voting rights act and no it was renewed for 25 years with the only section which was extended by 10 years was the bilingual election one , the rest got renwed for another 25 years.

Reagan in 1988 also signed the extension of the fair housing rights act so Governor Reagan and President Reagan was diffeent on that issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1968#Amendments

Which by the way is why governors are better to elect than senators , the evolve on the issues as they see day to day problems so Reagan at first opposed them cause he believed it intruded the free market and believed the free market could fix it but once he saw it didnt he changed course.

His support of Apartheid South Africa was bad and I am not gonna defend it but he wasnt the exception to that rule, like look today at the bipartisan support of the Saudi Government and look how both Trump and even Obama vetoing anti Saudi Arabia legislation. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 04:08:13 PM »

Reagan was a racist, but he wasn't openly racist and thus most people voting either for or against him probably had no idea what his views on race were.

If you choose to campaign and give a speech about "states rights" in a county where three civil rights workers were murdered, then you probably have an agenda. He sought out racist voters and they heard him loud and clear. Lee Atwater derived a strategy to be reach racists without actually saying racial slurs.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »

Statewide democratic parties are becoming more disgusting every year.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:43 PM »

If you choose to campaign and give a speech about "states rights" in a county where three civil rights workers were murdered, then you probably have an agenda. He sought out racist voters and they heard him loud and clear. Lee Atwater derived a strategy to be reach racists without actually saying racial slurs.

He talked about state's rights, but not in a racial context.  Cutting taxes didn't bring back segregation.

And actually read the whole Atwater interview.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies