Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Maryland Democrats call Hogan a white nationalist  (Read 1500 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »

Ok and LBJ was personally racist too and so were most major politicians today if you use today's standards. That conversation yah sure it was bad but he was obviously angry at those nations delegations voting against the United States interests at the UN and said that in obvious anger.

Also Reagan's so called states right speech in Mississippi, I can link that again but there literally was nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with it . You know what let me link it and quote the only part of the speech where he talks about states rights.

Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

I'm going to try also to change federal regulations in the tax structure that has made this once powerful industrial giant in this land and in the world now with a lower rate of productivity than any of the other industrial nations, with a lower rate of savings and investment on the part of our people and put us back where we belong.

This is literally the only part of the speech where he talks about "states rights"

http://neshobademocrat.com/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Transcript-of-Ronald-Reagan-s-1980-Neshoba-County-Fair-speech/2/297/15599

and MS was a swing state that year and that fair is one of the top political events in MS which is why he campaigned there so there is literally nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with that speech

Dude, Reagan had some serious issues with race.

He denounced the Civil Rights Act and attempted to weaken it, only relenting when Congress agreed to renew it for 10 rather than 25 years.

In his race for Governor, he repeatedly referred to urban areas as jungles, veering into rhetoric similar to that on the Nixon call. When discussing housing, he said: “If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.”

In foreign policy, he supported the South African government, at a time when they were a key perpetrator of racial hatred and segregation. He vetoed sanctions against SA, a move so unpopular, that he veto was overridden, in a move led by moderates and mainstream Republicans like Richard Lugar, (and McConnell of all people) and opposed by the likes of Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond.

Besides, the Nixon comments are hard to explain away. Rather than a slip up as you suggest, they instead give weight to the idea that all of Reagan's racially insensitive political choices were not reluctant decisions, but rather reflections of a persistent racism that he carried throughout his adult life.

Reagan signed the 1982 voting rights act and no it was renewed for 25 years with the only section which was extended by 10 years was the bilingual election one , the rest got renwed for another 25 years.

Reagan in 1988 also signed the extension of the fair housing rights act so Governor Reagan and President Reagan was diffeent on that issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1968#Amendments

Which by the way is why governors are better to elect than senators , the evolve on the issues as they see day to day problems so Reagan at first opposed them cause he believed it intruded the free market and believed the free market could fix it but once he saw it didnt he changed course.

His support of Apartheid South Africa was bad and I am not gonna defend it but he wasnt the exception to that rule, like look today at the bipartisan support of the Saudi Government and look how both Trump and even Obama vetoing anti Saudi Arabia legislation. 

I get where you're coming from, and I'll admit, Reagan definitely showed an ability to evolve on a variety of issues. The man did some good, but I feel pretty uncomfortable with his positions on a number of issues, particularly on matters of race, environmental conservation and the AIDS crisis.

Those reservations have definitely coloured my view of the man, and I'll admit, I can't speak objectively about him.

I should drop it now, but I think there's definitely a more reserved conversation to be had about Reagan's legacy. Probably not for this thread though.

(For the record, Larry Hogan is not a white supremacist. He's a decent politician, and a competent Governor, who should at bare minimum be celebrated for his electoral prowess, and bravery in the face of cancer. Not to mention a successful period in office.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2019, 06:28:39 PM by Badger »

Oh good grief oh, this again. Reagan instituted a bunch of unabashedly white power dog whistle policies and political appeals throughout his career and presidency. Half his idolizers attempt to cherry-pick out of context portions were he was great sounding, but factually weak, arguments about how he really never was racist, and the other half of his acolytes k n o w exactly what he did and are thrilled over it
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »

What is the import of the article? There's no quote and I'm not signing up just to read it. And it looks like typical headline exaggeration.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies