SENATE BILL: Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:46:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia (At Final Vote)  (Read 1410 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:21 AM »
« edited: December 06, 2019, 01:32:47 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE RESOLUTION

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I: NAME

1. This may be cited as the Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia.

SECTION II: VIVA EVO

1. The Republic of Atlasia unequivocally condemns the unlawful and unjust coup which caused the forced resignation of Bolivian President Evo Morales.
2. The Republic of Atlasia strongly urges the new Bolivian government to grant a full pardon to Evo Morales, Álvaro García Linera, and all other affected officials and allow them to return to Bolivia as soon as possible.
3. The Republic of Atlasia recommends free and fair elections are to be held once the above has taken place.
People's Regional Senate

Sponsor: MB298
Senate Designation: SB21:14
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:44 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy for this and other Senators have 48 hours to respond.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 02:00:25 AM »

Speaking as Deputy GM-nominate the coup in Bolivia probably isn't going to happen. I'll probably roll a dice to come up with the exact storyline but the coup still happening in game is unlikely.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:42 AM »

I don't know if the GM has posted any contradictory statements explicitly that Morales is not president or was not ousted, but I would still wait for GM confirmation of this happening before making a resolution on it as ASV said.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 02:47:51 AM »

I don't know if the GM has posted any contradictory statements explicitly that Morales is not president or was not ousted, but I would still wait for GM confirmation of this happening before making a resolution on it as ASV said.

I'll roll a dice to decide whether it happened, whether Morales gave in, and whether there's a civil war.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »

If the GM Department determines the coup did indeed happen I stand unequivocally in support of this resolution. Morales is no saint, but we shouldn't support lawlessness in our very continent.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:16:51 AM »

So we have a slight problem here. Pursuit of this bill is subject to GM action by ASV per this debate, a nominee whose confirmation is being rejected on grounds of "reform" being offered, which has not yet passed and is just now about to come to the floor.  

Honestly, these arcane dependency chains are why we have so many bills stuck as it is. Tongue So do we table this?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 12:22:24 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2019, 12:32:01 AM by MB »

I'd make the argument that unless the GM says otherwise, the coup happened as it did in real life. As far as I know the course of Bolivia went the same as in real life.

So I'm gonna motion for a final vote. 24 hours to object.

scratch that, might introduce an amendment
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 02:20:43 AM »

So when it is that might offer an amendment going to become more concrete?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »

I'd make the argument that unless the GM says otherwise, the coup happened as it did in real life. As far as I know the course of Bolivia went the same as in real life.
I would agree with this characterization. To retcon real-world events, a GM would need to act more or less immediately, in my opinion (unless there is a previously-established point of divergence). It would be ridiculous if, for example, a new GM were to suddenly announce that the 1979 Iranian revolution failed or that the House of Bourbon was never deposed in response to a Congressional resolution. Certainly someone who is not a member of the game engine (whatever their expected future position may be) has no place denying the veracity of real-world events. ASV's comments are highly inappropriate and justify the concerns many raised during the hearings on his nomination.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 02:38:17 AM »

So when it is that might offer an amendment going to become more concrete?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »

amendment:

SENATE RESOLUTION

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I: NAME

1. This may be cited as the Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia.

SECTION II: VIVA EVO

1. The Republic of Atlasia unequivocally condemns the unlawful and unjust coup which caused the forced resignation of Bolivian President Evo Morales.
2. The Republic of Atlasia strongly urges the new Bolivian government to grant a full pardon to Evo Morales, Álvaro García Linera, and all other affected officials and allow them to return to Bolivia as soon as possible.
3. The Republic of Atlasia recommends free and fair elections are to be held once the above has taken place.

SECTION III: SANCTIONS
Until the above conditions are met,

1. The self-proclaimed President of Bolivia, Jeanine Áñez, and all members of the Cabinet of Bolivia appointed after November 10, 2019 shall have any Atlasian assets frozen, effective immediately, and shall not be admitted into the territory of Atlasia.
2. Federal government employees are hereby prohibited from traveling to Bolivia on official business.
3. All diplomatic relations with Bolivia are hereby suspended.
4. All Atlasian aid to Bolivia is hereby suspended.
5. All exports from Bolivia to Atlasia, its territories, dependencies, or possessions are banned indefinitely.

24 hours to object.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 05:24:00 PM »

If real life is canon then this isn't really needed now, as the Bolivian Congress has voted unanimously (both MAS and opposition) for new presidential elections in which Evo won't run because of the constitutional term limits.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 12:05:05 AM »

Seeing no objection the amendment is adopted.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 12:08:05 AM »

Motion for a final vote. 24 hrs to object.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 04:29:21 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 04:32:46 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

If real life is canon then this isn't really needed now, as the Bolivian Congress has voted unanimously (both MAS and opposition) for new presidential elections in which Evo won't run because of the constitutional term limits.

cough cough I repeat, Bolivia has already scheduled new free elections. Why is this still proceeding?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »

A final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

I also would like ot see feedback on ASV's question.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »

Aye!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »

cough cough I repeat, Bolivia has already scheduled new free elections. Why is this still proceeding?
Seeing as there is still an arrest warrant on Evo Morales and his Vice President, and the nature of the Bolivian Right to follow the sway of the irl US-aligned OAS, this bill serves as a needed precaution to ensure that Bolivian democracy is upheld and restored.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »

Seeing as there is still an arrest warrant on Evo Morales and his Vice President, and the nature of the Bolivian Right to follow the sway of the irl US-aligned OAS, this bill serves as a needed precaution to ensure that Bolivian democracy is upheld and restored.
What the US should do is institute strong oversight on the repeat elections along with observers from the EU and other major nations, and if the MAS candidate wins fair and square then that's final and if the right-wing candidate wins fair and square then that's final.
Regardless of whether the previous election was rigged in some way or not Morales was and is still constitutionally ineligible from running for a third term. Sanctioning and Boycotting Bolivia is a complete overreaction and will only make the very delicate situation worse.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 12:20:45 AM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »

Aye
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »

I think ASV has a point to an extent. At the very least the sanctioning could lead to the US being used as a political weapon to distract from domestic actions, and we know how unpopular the US history of meddling in South America writ large is.

Abstain
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Resolution Condemning the Coup in Bolivia:

Aye (4): Devout Centrist, MB, Peanut and Pyro
Nay (0):
Abstain (1): NC Yankee

Didn't Vote (1): Ontario Progressive?