S.19.4-5: Standardizing Election Times Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.4-5: Standardizing Election Times Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.4-5: Standardizing Election Times Amendment (Failed)  (Read 709 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:15:51 AM »
« edited: December 02, 2019, 06:57:44 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Standardizing Election Times Amendment
Section III, subsection 2 of the Constitution of the Southern Region is amended to read as follows:
2. The governor must be elected democratically by the people of The South. Elections are to be held every January, April, July and October February, June, and October for governor. The appropriate election administrator will open the voting booth at 12:00:00am EST of the penultimate Friday of the month and will close said booth the following Sunday at 11:59:59pm EST. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballot received no more than 168 hours prior to the opening of the polls.

Section IV, subsection 3 of the Constitution of the Southern Region is amended to read as follows:

3. Elections to the Southern Legislature shall take place once every January, April, July and October February, June, and October. The appropriate election administrator will open the voting booth at 12:00:00am EST of the penultimate Friday of the month, and will close said booth the following Sunday at 11:59:59pm EST. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballot received no more than one week prior to the opening of the polls.
non-delegate (Federal Senator) Co-sponsor and Writer: MB
Sponsor: West_Midlander
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »

This bill is self-explanatory and I would like to hear the opinions of my fellow delegates on this matter.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »

This needed to happen eons ago. Personally I think 2 or 4-month terms are fine for legislative, as long as they are synced with the standard elections.

The post-reset environment being infused with desire for regional experimentation led to a convoluted system across the country where voters have elections every month, which leads to exhaustion, low turnout and poor participation overall. Standardizing the regional calendar should alleviate at least some of that in the South.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:02 AM »

A few quick points:

-4-month legislative terms wouldn't work well. Basically half of regional legislators are either new or semi-active. It's good to have somewhat regular legislative elections so we neither get stuck with an inactive batch nor have to wait too long to get new active players in office.

-I will get pushback for this but do we have to have all the elections at the same time? If the kids will develop a rash to see PMs in their inbox for elections meaning we can't do odd months (even though most RL states who do off-year elections are in our region!), that's fine, but can we at least have Governor on midterm elections (Apr/Aug/Dec) instead of being overshadowed by the Presidential?

-The switchover for Governor should be in April as it might be unfair to the offices current occupant to limit their term to 2 months. Going 3, 3, 4... makes logical sense, no?

(also if people in Nyman are going to complain about a region having non-standard elections they should look west Tongue)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 02:01:59 AM »

-4-month legislative terms wouldn't work well. Basically half of regional legislators are either new or semi-active. It's good to have somewhat regular legislative elections so we neither get stuck with an inactive batch nor have to wait too long to get new active players in office.
I concur with the Governor. While I can see the attraction of having an aligned election schedule. I'm not sure this Bill is the way to go. This is a Fantasy elections game after all. Having elections is a part and parcel of why one would join the game in the first place. Compared to what this Bill puts forward, the existing schedule is fine. Having a batch of inactive legislators for longer than the current arrangements (which this bill would do) it just plain silly.

This bill is self-explanatory and I would like to hear the opinions of my fellow delegates on this matter.
It's self explanatory in what the change is, not why the change is warranted. I would be interested in both the bill's author and the bill's sponsor to advocate for this Bill. Currently I'm not sold on the necessity of this bill.

also if people in Nyman are going to complain about a region having non-standard elections they should look west Tongue
Once again I concur with the Governor. This isn't Fremont, land of the by-election and Kansas envy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »

I by-and-large agree with the Governor.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »

If no one has anything else to say on the matter, I motion for a final vote. Also, given the legitimacy of the arguments against the bill, I will be voting abstain.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »

If no one has anything else to say on the matter, I motion for a final vote. Also, given the legitimacy of the arguments against the bill, I will be voting abstain.
No objection from me.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 05:07:20 AM »

Final vote. 48 hours.

Nay.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »

Abstain
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »

Nay
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 01:46:16 AM »