Florida Republicans rally to hold a Same-Sex Marriage Ban on ballot in November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:30:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida Republicans rally to hold a Same-Sex Marriage Ban on ballot in November
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida Republicans rally to hold a Same-Sex Marriage Ban on ballot in November  (Read 697 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2006, 05:22:54 AM »
« edited: January 13, 2006, 07:09:54 AM by Adlai Stevenson »

According to Politics1...
'If there was ever any wonder if the Republican Party was behind all those state ballot campaigns to ban same-sex marriage, just check out this item. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported the Florida Republican Party gave $150,000 to the group that is trying to place a constitutional amendment on the November ballot to ban same-sex marriage (and seemingly ban local governments from giving domestic partner benefits to employees). In fact, the GOP's donation comprises more than 75% of the total the group has raised to date. To place the question on the ballot, the group must collect and get certified 611,009 valid voter signatures by February 1. The group say they've collected 250,000 thus far. The GOP contributions kicked the drive back into high-gear this month. Both GOP candidates for Governor, along with the State GOP Chair, endorsed the proposal. A spokeswoman for the Florida Republican Party said they are involved in the effort "solely because we support the issue ... [but] it happens to be beneficial to have initiatives on the ballot that Republicans feel strongly about."'

So, clearly, the intimation here is obviously that they want to put Same-Sex Marriage on the ballot in order to bring up turnout among conservative evangelicals, which will help Harris' campaign.  They must have seen the new Rasmussen poll which shows her losing 54%-31% to Nelson and drawing only 59% of Republican voters.

It also made me think: does anyone know of any other ballot measures in November in any of the states?  I suppose in close races things like Same-Sex Marriage or Stem Cell Research could make the difference.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:38:17 PM »

I hope they'll do off-year referendums in NC and VA.  I'm tired of this crap.  I'm thinking I should start a petition in NC for 2007, otherwise Warner won't be able to win the state.  If, however, there is a referendum BEFORE 2008, and Elizabeth Dole isn't on the Rep. ticket, I see Warner being able to eek out a W (high African-American turnout, white vote around 33-34%).  Anyway, at least Ohio's and Arkansas are out of the way. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:48:27 PM »

I thought gay marriage was already banned in Florida?
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 02:53:11 PM »

I thought gay marriage was already banned in Florida?
No its not.  It is illegal however for Gays to adopt children.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies