Abortion, Planned Parenthood v. Casey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:12:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Abortion, Planned Parenthood v. Casey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which provisions should have been upheld?
3205: required that a woman seeking an abortion give her informed consent prior to the procedure, and specifies that she be provided with certain information at least 24 hours before the abortion is performed

3206: mandated the informed consent of one parent for a minor to obtain an abortion, but provides a judicial bypass procedure

3209: commanded that, unless certain exceptions apply, a married woman seeking an abortion must sign a statement indicating that she has notified her husband

None of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Abortion, Planned Parenthood v. Casey  (Read 6337 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:42:21 PM »

Planned Parenthood v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833 (1992)

I would have voted to uphold the 1982 act in its entirety. But as bad as Roe was, this decision is arguably worse. At least Roe handed down a workable standard: basically any and all regulation of abortion prior to the third trimester was unconstitutional.

Casey's "undue burden" standard is a joke. Arguing over whether a burden is "due" or "undue" is a lot like discussing whether chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »

None of the above, as they all violate the constitutional right to privacy.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »

I would (of course) uphold all three requirements. There is no constitutional right to abort a fetus.

Casey's "undue burden" standard is a joke. Arguing over whether a burden is "due" or "undue" is a lot like discussing whether chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla.
I fully agree. Arbitrary decisions like Casey make Supreme Court's Fourteenth Amendment jurisprudence muddled, incoherent, and incomprehensible.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »

I agree that the compelling interest test with it's undue burdens and all is complete crap. The scary thing is that the 1992 court is just about the most conservative we've had in the past 70 years. If that court couldn't overturn Roe. v Wade than which one will? Assuming that Roberts and Alito turn out OK (a BIG assumption I might add), we're still one vote away from overturning garbage like this.

Let's hope that Stevens finally croaks soon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:34:05 PM »

Let's hope that Stevens finally croaks soon.

Compassionate conservative.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »

I agree that the compelling interest test with it's undue burdens and all is complete crap. The scary thing is that the 1992 court is just about the most conservative we've had in the past 70 years. If that court couldn't overturn Roe. v Wade than which one will? Assuming that Roberts and Alito turn out OK (a BIG assumption I might add), we're still one vote away from overturning garbage like this.
Substantive due process and the compelling interest standard are here to stay. Even a conservative court is unlikely to overturn either of these doctrines; both Alito and Roberts have explicitly affirmed their support for these concepts.

Roe is certainly in some danger of being overturned, although a sudden frontal assault on that decision is unlikely to succeed any time soon. Alito probably opposes Roe, but I am not at all sure about Roberts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:41:47 PM »

Substantive due process and the compelling interest standard are here to stay. Even a conservative court is unlikely to overturn either of these doctrines; both Alito and Roberts have explicitly affirmed their support for these concepts.

Roe is certainly in some danger of being overturned, although a sudden frontal assault on that decision is unlikely to succeed any time soon. Alito probably opposes Roe, but I am not at all sure about Roberts.

So Roberts just happens to have a wife who is an anti-abortion activist? Roberts is clearly anti-Roe, but he's not quite as batsh**t crazing as lying Alito.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 08:45:13 PM »

Only provision 3206.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:48:37 PM »

Which parts of the Constitution would the other provisions have violated, in your opinion?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:27:02 PM »

I agree that the compelling interest test ... is complete crap.

It's not even the worst one. "Congruence and proportionality" is even more subjective.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:38:58 PM »

All of the above
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 01:15:50 AM »

Which parts of the Constitution would the other provisions have violated, in your opinion?

You're going to disagree with me, I think Philip will as well. I, like Ernest, believe there is a right to privacy, be it a nonenumerated right (9th, gets ready for Philip's flak) or in the penumbras of the first 8 amendments of the bill of rights. In case its not obvious by now, I'm influenced by William O'Douglas (and to a lesser degree, Goldberg).

I'm well aware of what you guys (I'm speaking generally, and if I unfairly group you, I'm sorry) have said regarding privacy and the 9th amendment. I respect your arguments and certainly I may buy into them in the future, but not now. Certainly given the fact that I am pro life, it pains me that *hypothetically* I'd rule in this fashion.

What I'd really like to see, just to see it done, is one of you guys try to convince me to join you in the vote on the condition that you do not attempt to try to convert me to a whole different judicial philosophy (I think what I'm getting at here is that, one of you guys should use "my" philosophy and argue the side I didn't take.) I think one of you two, being as bright as you are (or as I think you are), could do it.

Ah well...I should lay off the beer.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 08:44:49 AM »

You're a pro-lifer?  I assumed with all that talk of you being a moderate, a social liberal, and a RINO, that you were on the side of freedom on this issue.  No, you firmly belong in the Religious Party, Bull.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »

You're a pro-lifer?  I assumed with all that talk of you being a moderate, a social liberal, and a RINO, that you were on the side of freedom on this issue.  No, you firmly belong in the Religious Party, Bull.

Or it could be that he sees the blatant hypocrisy in refusing to use the criteria for the end of life (permanent ending of electrical activity from the brain) as the criteria for the beginning of life (electroencephalographs can pick up brain waves in children just 5 weeks after conception).
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:43:58 PM »

Bullmoose, I can't do that, because I don't know what your method of interpretation is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies