The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:38:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last  (Read 28631 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:14 PM »

Fifty years ago today, our nation's highest court handed down a decision which to an oppressed people, was a clarion call of equal rights. Suddenly, the weight of injustice which had long strangled them under its imposing mass was beginning to be lifted.

Today, my home state has made another step forward for the equal rights of all of its citizens. For the first time in our nation's history, a state has extended the right to marry to all of its people, and has not confined them to a particular moral vision of a family. For the first time, they are free.

My soul is overjoyed. I have never before seen such an impressive step forward for civil rights. May this be the first step in a journey in which the walls of hatred that divide our country fall, once and for all.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »

Fifty years ago today, our nation's highest court handed down a decision which to an oppressed people, was a clarion call of equal rights. Suddenly, the weight of injustice which had long strangled them under its imposing mass was beginning to be lifted.

Today, my home state has made another step forward for the equal rights of all of its citizens. For the first time in our nation's history, a state has extended the right to marry to all of its people, and has not confined them to a particular moral vision of a family. For the first time, they are free.

My soul is overjoyed. I have never before seen such an impressive step forward for civil rights. May this be the first step in a journey in which the walls of hatred that divide our country fall, once and for all.

Yes, especially since I read a story yesterday where a few of those who fought so hard for Brown vs BoE now regret their decision. People segregrate themselves naturally. We don't need to state forcing them apart.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »

Which people are they? What was the article?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 04:36:42 PM »

I cannot oppose the personal choice to marry more than one person.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »

I cannot oppose the personal choice to marry more than one person.

Do you have any moral boundries at all?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 04:43:39 PM »

I do not believe morality should be the controlling point of the law.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »

I'm pro gay marriage but I'm not sure if I agree that it's a "right."
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 04:59:48 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2004, 05:03:49 PM by PBrunsel »

Alas my poor country, for we have given up morality.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 05:00:49 PM »

Huzzah my great country, for we have increased freedom Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 05:04:31 PM »

Alas, we have cheapened marriage.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 05:05:15 PM »

Alas, we have cheapened marriage.

Huh

Totally unfounded.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 05:07:04 PM »

My dear contry has opened the flood gates to ruin for the sacred union known as marriage.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 05:11:32 PM »

Huzzah my great country, for we have increased freedom Smiley

We have increased freedom at the cost of personal morality. Their is such a thing as to much freedom.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 05:13:53 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2004, 05:20:01 PM by Brambila »

This comes as a great disappointment, but not unexpected. The United States, like most of Europe, is falling into a moral decline. I suspect that soon that marriage between children and adults will be legalized; poligamy; incest; beastiality. Marriage has completely lost it's meaning from the reproductive union between a man and a woman to the sexual union of two individuals who are aroused at eachother's bodies. This sickens me to the core, but again, is not unexpected.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 05:19:20 PM »

This comes as a great disappointment, but not unexpected. The United States, like most of Europe, is falling into a moral decline. I suspect that soon that marriage between children and adults will be legalized; poligamy; incest; beastiology. Marriage has completely lost it's meaning from the reproductive union between a man and a woman to the sexual union of two individuals who are aroused at eachother's bodies. This sickens me to the core, but again, is not unexpected.

Beastiology?  Sounds more scientific than Beastiality.  Anyway, I don't mind gays getting married - couldn't care less.  Why they should want to baffles me, however.  

I do think this helps Bush in the election.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »

Woops, I've gotten into the habit of writing "beastiology"... bad Brambila.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »

Argh!  What the hell is so immoral about to grown, consenting adults getting married?!  Stop believing in "how it was meant to be" and more on what people want to do with their own lives.  All I see when I see gay marriages happen is happy people.  Yet, our president finds it "disturbing"?  You republicans loved shouting about freedom so much when you were justifying the war.  But now, freedom is immoral and wrong!?  Make up your mind!  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 07:49:06 PM »

Argh!  What the hell is so immoral about to grown, consenting adults getting married?!  Stop believing in "how it was meant to be" and more on what people want to do with their own lives.  All I see when I see gay marriages happen is happy people.  Yet, our president finds it "disturbing"?  You republicans loved shouting about freedom so much when you were justifying the war.  But now, freedom is immoral and wrong!?  Make up your mind!  

Maybe he sees' it as I do a threat to our national interest. On a family and personal level?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 08:01:42 PM »

What will become of family values now?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 08:19:36 PM »

What will become of family values now?

Here is where they will go :

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 08:20:12 PM »

Here is the prblem with gay marriage.  But declaring that marraige is to be between any two people who love each other, and that the primary purpose of marriage is to give state sanction to love, we break the traditional link between marriage and child-rearing.  By seperating the two, we make out-of-wedlock childbirth more acceptable, we make divorce in marriages taht have children more acceptable, and we will therefore increase the rate of single parents in America.  This is not wild specualtion either, there is empirical evidence from Scandanavia of this very phenomenon.

What people need to realize is that it isn't always just about letting people be "happy" or "free", or about us being "accepting" or "tolerant".  Part of what needs to be considered is the actual societal impact of changing the nation's laws.  The law signifies what is and isn't accepted by society, and by changing the law, we change social norms.  Changing this particular social norm would be very harmful.
zachman

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 08:25:26 PM »

Its just a marriage certificate, and your states won't even recognize this! Cool up on the blasphermous gay-bashing. They deserve equal treatment from everyone.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 08:28:53 PM »

I would respond to that by saying that the change in societal mores has removed a great deal of stigma from the practice of bearing children out of the confines of matrimony. Therefore, the once clear relationship between marriage and reproduction does not exist any longer, and the concept of fertility within certain constraints is no longer a legitimate goal that the state may advance without maligning a broadened concept of equal protection.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2004, 08:30:44 PM »

I would respond to that by saying that the change in societal mores has removed a great deal of stigma from the practice of bearing children out of the confines of matrimony. Therefore, the once clear relationship between marriage and reproduction does not exist any longer, and the concept of fertility within certain constraints is no longer a legitimate goal that the state may advance without maligning a broadened concept of equal protection.

Maybe in Cambridge, Mass. but not in Dothan, Alabama or Perry, Florida. I'm sorry but what you think is good for Mass. is not always good for the South. Once again your people are NOT and I repeat NOT by any stretch superior to southerners.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »

Where in that post did I say we were?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies