The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:54:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Right to Marry: Justice, at Last  (Read 28623 times)
Brambila
Brambilla

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 08:39:43 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2004, 08:39:54 PM by Brambila »

Interestingly enough, NAMBLA is arguing the same things homosexuals are arguing- WE LOVE EACHOTHER. Is it true love, or sexual arousal?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 08:41:28 PM »

I'd have to study such relationships on a case by case basis to answer correctly, Brambila.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »

Yes you would.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 08:45:35 PM »

I'd have to study such relationships on a case by case basis to answer correctly, Brambila.

So you are saying if a 10 year old boy wants to have a sexual relationship with a 30 year old man that would be acceptable? Sick.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2004, 08:48:48 PM »

Not a 10 year old. But when he attains the common law age of maturity as practiced, 14, I'd say it's his Constitutional right.

And don't let your gag reflex override your jurisprudence.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2004, 08:52:20 PM by Gov. NickG »

I cannot oppose the personal choice to marry more than one person.

Migrendal-
You have said in another thread that you oppose cultural practices that encourage women to stay at home to care for children.

But don't you think that most exisiting cultures that sanction polygamy are oppressive to women to an even greater extent (e.g. fundamentalist Mormon and Muslim communities)?  

I would go so far as to say that polygamy, like pedopilia, is inherently oppressive, at least in the forms that it is seen in real life.

I don't think polygamy is comparable to gay marriage, where the same concerns about oppression don't exist.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »

But the personal choice to marry whom one chooses must be there, even it means legalized polygamy.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2004, 09:03:01 PM »

So you do agree there should be an age of consent then?

Not a 10 year old. But when he attains the common law age of maturity as practiced, 14, I'd say it's his Constitutional right.

And don't let your gag reflex override your jurisprudence.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »

If grounded in a theory of personal liberty and based upon current sociological evidence of maturity or a convincing analysis of legal tradition and interpretation, than yes I can support an age of consent, provided it is not excessively high.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »

If grounded in a theory of personal liberty and based upon current sociological evidence of maturity or a convincing analysis of legal tradition and interpretation, than yes I can support an age of consent, provided it is not excessively high.

We're stupid and hormonal.  Get used to it Smiley
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004, 09:11:54 PM »

That might be, but you still have rights.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 09:28:24 PM »

But the personal choice to marry whom one chooses must be there, even it means legalized polygamy.
Should a first wife have to approve before a husband can marry a second wife?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

No, it is the husband's choice. But she is free to find another husband without her current one's consent.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37:47 PM »

No, it is the husband's choice. But she is free to find another husband without her current one's consent.

But isn't a marriage a contract between people stating that they will remain faithful only to each other?  Why should one person be allowed to unilaterally break that contract?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2004, 09:38:04 PM »

That's just sheer stupidity and beyond the realm of reality.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2004, 09:44:09 PM »

May I ask if you've ever entertained the question of the implications of laws criminalizing polygamy with regard to liberty? And please, your rude comments as to the putative intelligence of my writings are unwarranted. Defend what you believe, don't insult.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2004, 09:46:24 PM »

May I ask if you've ever entertained the question of the implications of laws criminalizing polygamy with regard to liberty? And please, your rude comments as to the putative intelligence of my writings are unwarranted. Defend what you believe, don't insult.

Marriage is between a man and a woman. Not between a man and a man or a woman/woman or 5 men and 5 women. If we are going to do that abolish marriage completely.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »

Says who?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2004, 10:02:34 PM »

Tradition, history and the law.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2004, 10:23:42 PM »

Nothing good can come from Mass.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2004, 10:26:34 PM »

Migrendel, of course, is going to ask "says who?". And that's a good question- who says? Why do we follow morality? Why do we do good and not bad? What is the purpose of right and worng?

A perfect example of how marriage has been diminished is proven by Migrendel's belief. First marriage is between a man and a woman. Then it's a man and man. Then it's three men and three women... why doesn't the entire world just forget about marriage?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2004, 10:29:55 PM »

Migrendel, of course, is going to ask "says who?". And that's a good question- who says? Why do we follow morality? Why do we do good and not bad? What is the purpose of right and worng?

A perfect example of how marriage has been diminished is proven by Migrendel's belief. First marriage is between a man and a woman. Then it's a man and man. Then it's three men and three women... why doesn't the entire world just forget about marriage?

Then have a big sex party!! haha just joking.. I tell you why we need it. Because it keeps order. With out morality, people would go around killing people. They would would be like Iraq was on a bad day. I don't care who is gay or not. Gay people don't need to get marriaged! If they want to get marriaged well then they are SOL.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2004, 10:30:38 PM »

In Migrendels world this is how it would be..

If you are 15 you can have sex with anyone you want no matter what. If your parents are against it or stop you they can be arrested for violation of a childs "constitutional rights". If a 15 year old gets pregnant as a result of screwing around they can have an abortion w/out consent or knowledge of a parent. Then when she is ready she can marry 2-10 different men depending on her choice. She then can have as many children as she wants and never see them because she is using her right to go out and work and spend absolutely no time with her children because that would mess with their right to think for themselves and be independent. Then when the child acts out and puts her mother in the hospital the mother would have no right to spank her because that would be violation of a childs "rights".
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2004, 10:31:25 PM »

Then have a big sex party!! haha just joking.. I tell you why we need it. Because it keeps order. With out morality, people would go around killing people. They would would be like Iraq was on a bad day. I don't care who is gay or not. Gay people don't need to get marriaged! If they want to get marriaged well then they are SOL.

Are you sure this isn't PD?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »

Are you sure this isn't PD?

No i am josh.. from north carolina I don't even know who PD is!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies